http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 07:03:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saw Appleseed for the first time...  (Read 4180 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2007, 05:42:14 PM »

Now I realize I am venturing into lands I know very, very, little about...

But over the long holiday weekend, I caught (completely by accident, mind you) the anime movie called Appleseed

Here is my impression:    :icon_eek: thumbsup icon_biggrin icon_mrgreen

My question to the keepers of all things anime is... If I liked Appleseed, what should I watch next? 

Thanks for your help. 

By the way - it is question threads like this that led me to buying (and LOVING) the Firefly series, so please know your opinions are very much appreciated.

[attachment deleted by admin]

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 05:47:18 PM »

I still want to watch that...darn you...I wonder if BB will carry it?  Going to have to check when I go into work.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 05:47:48 PM »

I liked Appleseed for the gorgeous integration of CGI and some of the actions scenes were really really cool.  Plus some nifty atmosphere.  Story didn't make a lot of sense to me, though.  Ultimately it was hollow but pretty. 

Before I offer up any recommendations- what did you like about it?  It's an important question because if it was the visuals then a lot of stuff that I might mention just isn't going to be at that level.  Especially TV series which are obviously done on a much lower budget than feature anime work. 
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 05:55:34 PM »

It's funny you ask Kevin, cause I anticipated the question coming up.  I guess for me, the #1 important thing is the characters themselves.  I really liked Deunan, Bresarius (sp?), and Athena - and I found the story engaging enough to keep me watching the whole thing.  Visuals, although important, are not as important as liking the characters themselves.

Seriously, I was flipping through the channels, getting ready to go out with a friend, and I caught the introduction of this, sat down for what I planned on being 5 minutes just to see what it was, the next thing I know, the credits are rolling, and the movie is over.  I was like, "Whoa... that was cool."

Since you guys steered me so right with the Serenity/Firefly thing, I thought it only natural to come here for more advice.

Thanks. 

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 05:57:52 PM »

You might like Akira if you haven't seen it yet biggrin

javahead

Coffee is Murder!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 06:03:32 PM »

Ghost in the Machine, Final Fantasy 10 (FFX), Witch Hunter Robin is not nearly as pretty, and its a series, but a good one.

Jesters Do It Till Ya Smile!
          \|/ ____ \|/
        ~@_/ Oo \_@~
          /_( \__/ )_\
             \__U_/
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 06:06:47 PM »

Cowboy Bebop is a good bet, especially if you enjoy good characters and the whole space cowboy aspect of Firefly. smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 06:09:52 PM »

Record of the Lodoss War!!!!
and Evangelion: Neon Genesis is pretty cool up to the last episode, which is pretty  retard

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 06:20:55 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on January 02, 2007, 05:55:34 PM

It's funny you ask Kevin, cause I anticipated the question coming up.  I guess for me, the #1 important thing is the characters themselves.  I really liked Deunan, Bresarius (sp?), and Athena - and I found the story engaging enough to keep me watching the whole thing.  Visuals, although important, are not as important as liking the characters themselves.

Seriously, I was flipping through the channels, getting ready to go out with a friend, and I caught the introduction of this, sat down for what I planned on being 5 minutes just to see what it was, the next thing I know, the credits are rolling, and the movie is over.  I was like, "Whoa... that was cool."

Since you guys steered me so right with the Serenity/Firefly thing, I thought it only natural to come here for more advice.

Thanks. 

Ah, good stuff. 

First off, Cowboy Bebop is the obvious first recommendation.  It's essentially the Anime equivalent to Firefly (other than the fact that it was successful) ie the stuff of many geeks wet dreams- wonderful cast of characters, diverse and interesting universe, etc.

I'll also recommend Last Exile.  Very, very cool setting that's sort of like the retro future stuff of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow and Crimson Skies, along with a bit of Star Wars.  Really like the characters in this one too- the two main leads are teenagers but they are incredibly likable and remarkably free of the angst that plagues so much of the genre.

Both Cowboy Bebop and LE are series with 26 episodes each.

As far as films go- Akira as mentioned above.  Still visually stunning after almost 20 years and the soundtrack is amazing.  Also agree with the Ghost in the Shell recommendation with the caveat that the characters are a bit more dry than Appleseed's.   

EDIT- just remembered that you are enjoying FFXII.  Last Exile's setting is somewhat reminiscent of FFXII's setting for reference.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 07:18:00 PM by Kevin Grey » Logged
javahead

Coffee is Murder!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 06:24:27 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 02, 2007, 06:09:52 PM

and Evangelion: Neon Genesis is pretty cool up to the last episode, which is pretty  retard
No no no, do NOT watch this unless you are _really_ into the anime scene, not doing drugs or alcohol, and happy with your romantic life.
It's a kewl series, but the creator himself had to spend a couple months in a mental institution upon completion.

\|/ ____ \|/
        ~@_/ Oo \_@~
          /_( \__/ )_\
             \__U_/
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 06:56:24 PM »

Quote from: javahead on January 02, 2007, 06:24:27 PM

No no no, do NOT watch this unless you are _really_ into the anime scene, not doing drugs or alcohol, and happy with your romantic life.
It's a kewl series, but the creator himself had to spend a couple months in a mental institution upon completion.

I watch Evangelion on Adult Swim and I'll throw in that it is pretty...weird. Kinda cool, but, weird.

I truly recommend the Ghost in the Shell: Stand alone Complex. It is the series that was made after movie. The visuals are very nice and you get to know the characters better and there is a lot of action aid some episodes make you think also. Cowboy Bepop as was said before.

I'll throw in my hat for Samuai Champloo unless you want total Sci/Fi. I found it enjoyable, the animation style is different though. I think some of voices in Samurai Champloo are the same that were in Cowboy Bepop.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
warning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 07:14:03 PM »

Quote from: javahead on January 02, 2007, 06:24:27 PM

Yeah CeeKay is off his rocker.  Avoid Evangelion like a prostitute with sores.  It just about turned me away from anime for life.  And that was after about 10 episodes.

Cowboy Bebop and Last Exile are both great shows and solid recommendations.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 07:25:13 PM »

You guys are great.  Thanks for the advice.  

I need to contact some people I know and see if they have any of these.  If not, I am assuming I can rent them first and then buy if I like them??  (as I said, I know virtually nothing about anime' - but I am going to guess Blockbuster has these for rent?)

Oh, and just of note, (to reiterate how clueless I am), I have watched a grand total of 2 anime' things in my life.  Appleseed being one.  The other was about some girl who hunted witches.  She had some sort of pseudo-psionic power having to do with fire or something.  I am going to guess that was Witchhunter Robin(?)  I only saw the first 5 or so episodes of that I think.  My nephew let me borrow it cause he knows I like psionic stuff, and he said this sort of had powers like that.  I found it kind of a disjointed story to be honest, but I did like some of the characters.  Maybe if I would have watched more of it, I would have understood it more.  I plan to watch the rest of it at a later date.

My point being, at this point in time, I wouldn't know bad anime' from good anime' from award-winning anime'.  Heck, I don't even know what makes anime' "good" versus "bad".  

Anyway, thanks guys.  I do appreciate it.  I'll let you know how it goes...

« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 07:26:50 PM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

unbreakable
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007, 07:25:27 PM »

Record of the Lodoss War!!!!

+1000
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2007, 07:52:27 PM »

Ninja Scroll doesn't have a lot in common with Appleseed, but it's an entertaining (but ultra-violent) anime movie (haven't seen the series, and OH GOD STAY AWAY FROM THE SEQUEL) about, well, ninjas.  It's got some incredible fight scenes.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2007, 07:53:41 PM »

Black Magic M66, RoadBuster, GunsmithCats, and the Lodoss series were excellent.

I didn't like Akira much; it could be because it was overhyped. It's a good story, but it didn't wow me.
PatLabour was good, and so was Evangelion.

It gets religious / existential at the end; it deals with the tree of knowledge and as a buddy of mine put it, psycho-babble.

There's 24 episodes, stop at 19.  icon_smile

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2007, 08:31:33 PM »

Purge...thanks for reminding me of GunsmithCats  icon_cool

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2007, 08:57:49 PM »

I also caught Appleseed over the holiday. I recorded it and watched it about 5 days ago. I enjoyed it. I loved the animation the best. The action / story I found lacking. Not enough of either.

Theres another anime I saw recently that I liked also but I cannot recall it's name right now. Had to do with a adopted girl and these 2 giant ARK robot cities. Was pretty cool too.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2007, 09:06:40 PM »

Well anime being Japanese you get some that overly "cutsie" I've found the good anime to have less "cutsiness" than the other kind. That the stories seem more serious and more to the point instead of the random cute character you get every now and then. Sometimes they can pull the cutsiness off without dragging down the entire movie or series with it. Like they were able to pull off Ed in Cowboy Bepop. Anime is really good with action and suspense but you get totally thrown out of it when a character just starts acting like a total idiot for no apparent reason. Full Metal Alchemist had this, overall it was a good series but when the cutsiness came in it just destroyed it for me.

That's my take on it anyway.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2007, 09:19:44 PM »

Appleseed was a pretty good movie.  Animation was excellent, but the story was a little thin.

I'd check out :
Ghost in the Shell movie followed by the series.  I actually enjoyed the series more, but the movie is a good place to get started.
Cowboy Bebop has been mentioned and is definitely a favorite of mine. 
Fullmetal Alchemist isn't really sci-fi, but more of a steampunk-type of world.  It mixes a little comedy with some great character moments.  It's really worth watching.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
warning

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2007, 09:45:55 PM »

The best anime I've seen recently was Monster.  I doubt it will ever be released in the US as it's long (70+ episodes) and there are no giant robots, tentacles or huge-eyed prepubescent girls.  I found it fansubbed and have watched all the episodes and it's amazing.  It seems like it's actually made for grownups with mature characters and a great storyline.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2007, 12:46:49 AM »

I enjoyed Vandread a lot too...and Last Exile

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2007, 12:48:12 AM »

Quote from: warning on January 02, 2007, 09:45:55 PM

The best anime I've seen recently was Monster.  I doubt it will ever be released in the US as it's long (70+ episodes) and there are no giant robots, tentacles or huge-eyed prepubescent girls.  I found it fansubbed and have watched all the episodes and it's amazing.  It seems like it's actually made for grownups with mature characters and a great storyline.

Now that I would like to see.  The single one thing I hate about Japanese anime movies or games is when they throw in the childish, silly crap (like moogles in Final Fantasy XII for example-gag!).  If this truly be adultish, I would like to see it.  Loved the Final Fantasy CGI movie because it was an attempt at a serious grown up movie.  Please oh please give us more of that.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2007, 01:04:53 AM »

ooo, and Tenchi Muyo (Original Anime Video or OAV for short). I've been meaning to find Tenchi in Tokyo and Tenchi Universe; I hear they aren't as good.

Note: there is nudity, but nothing crude about it. It's more of an embarassment factor.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2007, 05:53:53 AM »

I would highly recommend "Steamboy" and it just so happens I wrote up this review of it at my blog. Very unique vision of Victorian England and a very, very fun movie that just mesmerized me with how inventive the technology in it was. I'd also give out a massive shout to "Cowboy Bebop" which simply pwns "Firefly" and does so in a big way. I was also partial to "Outlaw Star" though like some anime it goes bonkers at the end. But up to that point it's a terrific and fun ride. Plus, you'll recognize a shot from the first episode as one Joss Whedon ripped off for "Firefly". disgust

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2007, 06:02:53 AM »

Quote from: warning on January 02, 2007, 09:45:55 PM

Really need to watch that.  "Obtained" the first third or so of the series a while back but with it being 70 episodes I wanted to wait until I had less on my plate to start.  Sounds really great.

Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2007, 06:47:23 AM »

I'm going to agree on both Cowboy Bebop, and Last Exile. Two of my faves right there. As for Fullmetal Alchemist, there were episodes in it that punched me in the gut, and then some more lighthearted. Some of the comedy was a bit forced, but overall I found it to be a good series.

I'll also throw out Berserk, Gungrave, and Samurai Champloo.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 06:50:23 AM by Fellow » Logged

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2007, 08:37:38 AM »

Well, I picked up Appleseed today.  biggrin

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2007, 09:50:34 AM »

I actually thought that appleseed was pretty poor storywise.  It was just another anime to me, and that's the problem.  I'm not fan of anime, just good stories, well told.

I have Japanese friends that are studying animation who are all excellent artists, but they moved here to study animation because they were tired of how set the japanese animation market is in its ways.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2007, 04:09:36 PM »

Ill toss in Trigun also. Its very close to being just a toon but Id count it as anime barely..but its a great show nontheless.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2007, 04:36:30 PM »

OK, I know it's a completely different style from Appleseed, but how in Bob's name did a 'recommend some anime' thread get this far without a single mention of Miyazaki??  For shame people, for shame.   icon_wink

Anyone with even a passing interest in anime needs to immediately watch Spirited Away.  One of the single most incredible movies you will ever see.  I also really liked Howl's Moving Castle and Castle in the Sky.  A couple other suggestions that closer the Appleseed style:

Vampire Hunter D.  The original is so-so, but the second one (Bloodlust) is awesome
Metropolis.  This one is very unique, and tends to elicit some pretty polarizing reactions from people.  I loved it, but have talked to plenty others who hated it.  YMMV.

Most of my faves have already been mentioned, but I'll add a hearty +1 for:

-  Ghost in the Shell
-  Akira
-  Cowboy Bebop (probably my all-time favorite series)
-  Ninja Scroll (Loved the movie, absolutely hated the series)
-  Trigun
-  Record of Lodoss War
-  Berzerk (I wasn't a huge fan, but I know a ton of folks that love it)

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2007, 04:52:14 PM »

Out of all of these, I still think Cowboy Bebop is the best match based on Lockdown's initial post.  Watch the whole series, then the movie.  If you love Firefly I think it's a sure bet that Bebop will blow you away.  In fact, since you ended up buying Firefly, I'm confident enough to recommend that you just go ahead and buy the whole Cowboy Bebop series instead of trying to rent it first, you're going to love it so much.

Make sure you watch them in order, this series is big on character development.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2007, 05:15:08 PM »

icon_biggrin

Done!   This one seems to be a recurring theme, so I shall purchase it this week.  About how many shows are in the series to ensure I get them all by the way?

And after that... well, you guys gave me a slew of things to look into, which is awesome.

You guys really came through for me again.  Much thanks.

LD

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2007, 05:24:16 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on January 03, 2007, 05:15:08 PM

icon_biggrin

Done!   This one seems to be a recurring theme, so I shall purchase it this week.  About how many shows are in the series to ensure I get them all by the way?

26 episodes I believe- spread over 6 DVDs.  I thought they put out a box set at some point but I can't seem to find a link to anyone selling it now.  Individual discs can run almost $20 a pop (anime ain't cheap unfortunately).  Hopefully your blockbuster will carry them (no idea though).  Netflix does have them if you happen to be a member. 

There is also a Cowboy Bebop movie.  It's excellent but isn't required viewing- the series is complete by itself and stands alone. 
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2007, 05:26:58 PM »

6 DVD's @ 20 bucks a pop...  :icon_eek:

I need to do some "scouting around".  Thanks Kevin.

LD

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2007, 05:28:39 PM »

There is a box set available on Amazon for $179.00.  Seems like an odd-price, considering each individual DVD is $20-$25 and it doesn't look like the box set offers additional content. 

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2007, 05:31:24 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on January 03, 2007, 05:26:58 PM

6 DVD's @ 20 bucks a pop...  :icon_eek:

Yeah, with Anime it's often best to wait for box sets- Bandai (the distributor of Cowboy Bebop) has a really nice Anime Legends line that has entire series for only $30-50, but Cowboy Bebop isn't available in that line for some reason- probably because it's popularity is high enough that people continue to pay full price for the regular releases.

If you really get into Anime then it's easy enough to find some really good deals though since there is so much out there that something very worthwhile is always on sale. 

Again, subscription services like Netflix and Greencine can be a godsend for stuff like this and save you copious amounts of money. 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2007, 05:33:39 PM »

Also, be careful about buying anime from places like Ebay.  While the deals often seem to good to be true- that's because they are.  There is tons of bootleg anime on there.  Not only do you risk getting substandard product that way (poorly compressed, crappy subtitles, etc) but why do you want to pay someone who pirated it in the first place? 
unbreakable
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2007, 05:59:49 PM »

I just watched "Spirited Away" last night.  Wow, that was pretty damn cool.

Haven't checked out Appleseed yet, hopefully it will show up on cable somewhere soon (SA was on Toonami this weekend).
javahead

Coffee is Murder!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2007, 06:02:29 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on January 03, 2007, 05:59:49 PM

I just watched "Spirited Away" last night.  Wow, that was pretty damn cool.

Haven't checked out Appleseed yet, hopefully it will show up on cable somewhere soon (SA was on Toonami this weekend).

I has been running on Showtime, I believe, if you have the movie channel.

\|/ ____ \|/
        ~@_/ Oo \_@~
          /_( \__/ )_\
             \__U_/
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: