http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 10:19:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Satellite Radio?  (Voting closed: August 03, 2005, 05:56:12 PM)
Sirius Radio - 13 (26.5%)
XM Radio - 20 (40.8%)
HD Radio - 0 (0%)
Something else on Satellite - 0 (0%)
Radio Waves for me! - 16 (32.7%)
Total Voters: 48

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sattelite Radio?  (Read 4089 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: August 03, 2005, 05:56:12 PM »

Do you use satellite radio or are you stuck to the 'airwaves'?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 05:56:59 PM »

For me, my money is on Sirius.  I've had it since May and it made the 6 hour trip to E3 a pleasant one.  I listen to at work as well...I'm diggin it, despite my objections to the price. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 07:27:48 PM »

None of the above.  I've got probably a dozen albums I've only listened to once or twice.  I could easily fill a 40 gig iPod.  I only want to listen to music I like not what someone else has decided I should listen to.
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 07:47:21 PM »

I concur with Ron, my wife has the Sirius system, and it's pretty good. She got the Sky-Fi 2 model.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 08:36:56 PM »

I've had XM for a few years but will switching to Sirius in the fall for football and hockey, then will switch back to XM for baseball next season.

Good Stuff!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 09:15:07 PM »

We got Sirius on our satellite TV and it's OK.

We got XM for the car (web) and I love it.  I got it primarily for the alternative music and it's excellent.  Especially their classic alternative is leaps and bounds better than Sirius's.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 10:17:57 PM »

I have XM and don't listen to it as much as I should, but I still love having it.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005, 10:59:32 PM »

There's not really a compelling reason for me to get satellite radio yet.  Maybe once they are able to cram it in my iPod or make it a stock option for my next car, but right now it's too much hassle with not enough benefit.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2005, 11:01:14 PM »

I have XM.  I might be switching to Sirius for football, though.  The first half of the year I was taking a 450 mile road trip twice a month.  However, now that I dont', I'm also considering dropping it altogether.
Shifter
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2005, 12:36:00 AM »

XM subscriber here.  I love it.  When Howard hits the air I'll probably check Sirius out as well.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2005, 12:53:03 AM »

31 % right now say Radio Waves, but I notice no one is bragging about it by posting, lol!

I have it only because I hardly drive anywhere anymore that isn't a 5-10 minute drive down the road...  More a money thing since I'd hardly ever be using it.  If I was a millionaire, that'd be different... of course, if I was, then I'd have a driver and I'd be playing a video game! Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2005, 01:24:34 AM »

Satellite radio is excellent.  XM or Serius, as long as it's not the crap over the air.  I hate the crap traditional radio has done and continues to do to try and hamstring satellite radio.

I have XM and love it.  Couldn't imagine going anywhere without it.  I still listen to a lot of CD's, but I like the variety satellite offers.  My friend got Serius in his new car and is already wondering how he lived without it.

I don't know how the pricing stacks up, but they are both good setups.  I'd be happy with either one.  The NFL and MLB are nice if you have a portable unit.  XM has quite a bit of college football, not sure about Serius.  Glad NHL is on something since I don't even know if they have a TV deal. :cry:

I usually listen to XMU, Ethel, Lucy, 66 RAW, and the BBC.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2005, 12:39:47 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
For me, my money is on Sirius.  I've had it since May and it made the 6 hour trip to E3 a pleasant one.  I listen to at work as well...I'm diggin it, despite my objections to the price. smile

The price? I think I spent either a flat $100 or $120 (don't remember anymore) for a year subscription. Considering that the only 'commercial' I've heard since then over my car's radio was the station call-sign, I consider it worth every penny.

And I only have a 15 minute drive to/from work.

Sirius is like my cable internet now - I'll always have it, period.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2005, 07:59:39 PM »

Stuck with the airwaves here.  Every time I've had the chance to partake in some XM radio, including the entirity of my flight to Florida ("Thank you AirTrans!"), I've enjoyed the hell out of it.  Unfortunately, at the present time, it's just not a luxury we can comfortably afford.

My iPod Shuffle will have to do 'till gradgeeation.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2005, 02:10:04 PM »

Quote from: "DamageInc"
I concur with Ron, my wife has the Sirius system, and it's pretty good. She got the Sky-Fi 2 model.

Are you sure...because I have the sky-fi 2 model and it's XM only.  It's the one with the 30 min buffer and live pause built in right?  

As it is I love XM.  I love the uncensored channels, the long groups of songs, the huge variety of music and talk and I'll stick will XM because the only football I care about is broadcast locally in my area.  Howard is ok but I'll take Opie and Anthony any day.  I do wish XM would get some more "NPR" style shows though.  

XM did get rid of all premium channels except one when they raised their price.  The only channel you have to pay extra for now is the playboy channel.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2005, 02:25:29 PM »

One of the reasons I went with Sirius is NPR, commercial free song stations, uncensored comedy, and no premium channels.  I don't listen to (or watch) sports other than kickboxing or boxing. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2005, 07:26:44 PM »

one of the reasons Im NOT going with Sirius this christmas is their programming. I dont want one dime of my money going to a brand/product associated with his tired, 20 year old act. saw him on the daily show and he totally used the whole interview to slut himself.
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2005, 07:30:02 PM »

Are you sure...because I have the sky-fi 2 model and it's XM only. It's the one with the 30 min buffer and live pause built in right?

Doh, sure shows you how much I paid attention to it. I only get to listen to it when I am in her car, but you are correct in that it is XM.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2005, 07:34:49 PM »

My car came with XM.  I listened to it a little bit, but once the free subscription ended, I didn't think much more of it.

I don't drive all that much though -- and lately I either listen to CDs or local sports talk radio.  When I did listen to XM on a couple smaller roadtrips, I was frustrated with the number of times the signal dropped (I do not recall exactly how many, but certainly remember four or five near the end of a trip from Boston to Newport, RI)

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2005, 07:37:57 PM »

I have Sirius radio. In all honesty I find it mediocre.But given that there are few non country radio stations within a hundred mile radius it's either satellite or do without radio.
The music stations are commercial free but there's still too much non song playing going on with all the DJs banter.The other stations have more commercials than my goats have ticks.
However,this is what I have to put up with,with DISH network too so I live with it.

Ye Olde Farte
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2005, 08:02:21 PM »

does sattelite go everywhere, or does it have to be installed in one spot like your car?

I mean if you could have it in your house, in your car, at your work, etc.  It might be easier to swallow...

But if your really only using it in your car and your commute isnt bad, I dunno

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Shifter
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2005, 08:41:55 PM »

Currently I have XM but I will be switching over to Sirius once Howard goes live.  I bought XM for Opie & Anthony but their show just isn't what it once was.  I miss the WNEW days.
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2005, 09:52:50 PM »

Quote from: "Semaj"
does sattelite go everywhere, or does it have to be installed in one spot like your car?

I mean if you could have it in your house, in your car, at your work, etc.  It might be easier to swallow...

I bought a kit that allows you to have it in either your house or your car.In other words there's the antennas set up in both the car and at home and you switch the base unit to whatver location you want.

Ye Olde Farte
unbreakable
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2005, 09:54:38 PM »

I'm the kind of person who obsesses over his expenses.  So another recurring expense isn't something I'm looking for.

I actually listen to a lot of radio, but it's mainly NPR, Air America, or WCKG.  All of which I can actually get via the internet as well (but I've only found AA as a podcast thus far).
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2005, 11:50:46 PM »

Not that it matters much but with Sirius you pay for it a year at a time.

Ye Olde Farte
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2005, 01:28:09 AM »

Quote from: "dbt1949"
Quote from: "Semaj"

I bought a kit that allows you to have it in either your house or your car.In other words there's the antennas set up in both the car and at home and you switch the base unit to whatver location you want.

How much would the whole setup run to get it fired up started and pay for a year?

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2005, 01:54:01 AM »

I got mine at WalMart  :?  and the home/car setup was a little over $100.Then you have to subscribe and I think it's for a year at a time(I was given no other options).I think it averages out to around $12 a month,so roughly $150 a year.

Ye Olde Farte
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2005, 03:23:27 AM »

I don't know if Sirius offers a similar option, but you can pay monthly, as well as yearly, for XM.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2005, 03:42:54 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
I don't know if Sirius offers a similar option, but you can pay monthly, as well as yearly, for XM.

When I subscribed a long time ago, I remember there being a monthly option for my subscription. I chose the yearly method though, as I knew it would be worth getting (and ended up cheaper in the end as well, like currently MMO subscription models).

Still loving Sirius. Wouldn't drive around town without it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2005, 06:40:52 AM »

Or to LA every year without it!  

From what I'm hearing, Sirius is getting a massive influx of people over the last few days as tomorrow is Howard Stern's last day on the radio airwaves...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2005, 01:30:46 PM »

From what I'm hearing, Sirius is getting a massive influx of people over the last few days as tomorrow is Howard Stern's last day on the radio airwaves...

I sure hope they do. You know how much they're paying Howard Stern? $100 million. A year. For 5 years.

Now that's a paycheck I'd love to have.

dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2005, 02:00:49 PM »

I don't even like Howard Stern. :?

Ye Olde Farte
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2005, 02:38:31 PM »

I was considering satellite radio until I discovered podcasts back in August.  Now I have trouble getting through everything on my iPod even with a 40 minute commute every day.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2005, 02:41:55 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

I sure hope they do. You know how much they're paying Howard Stern? $100 million. A year. For 5 years.

That's insanity!  With the previously mentioned $125 for a year's subscription, Sirius needs 800,000 new subscribers just to cover his salary.  I know Stern's got a following, but big enough for those numbers to follow him to pay radio for 5 years staight?  I don't pretend to know anything about Stern's or Sirius's numbers, but it sounds like a risky gamble to me.

Shifter
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2005, 03:06:35 PM »

Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"
Quote from: "Destructor"

That's insanity!  With the previously mentioned $125 for a year's subscription, Sirius needs 800,000 new subscribers just to cover his salary.  I know Stern's got a following, but big enough for those numbers to follow him to pay radio for 5 years staight?  I don't pretend to know anything about Stern's or Sirius's numbers, but it sounds like a risky gamble to me.

According to this weeks Newsweek, If I remember correctly, Howard has about 20 million listeners.  It sounds crazy, but I guess if he can pull a fraction of that ,Sirius will make out.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2005, 03:48:36 PM »

None of the above for me.  I pretty much only listen to internet radio stations.  radioparadise.com gets most of my time, but I'll also go to japanaradio.com for crazy Japanese pop, a few salsa stations, digitallyimported, etc.
unbreakable
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2005, 01:20:32 AM »

I suspect the Stern thing was *very* engineered.  I would like to know how much Sirius stock Stern (and Mel Karmazin) purchased before Mel went there, and how much they purchased before Stern went there.

Personally, I would rather hear the O&A show than Stern.  To me, he has just gotten very annoying during the past few years.  It seems like his goal is to be more annoying than entertaining.  Maybe some people like that, but it kind of loses it's effect when you know somebody is just saying something to provoke a reaction.
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2005, 05:52:05 AM »

I just bought an XM setup for my wife using an Opie & Anthony coupon I saw here or somewhere. For $79 or so, I got the SkyFi2 and a 3 month subscription (about $35 each).

Re: Howard. I read that though he is making the big bucks, anything he develops, produces, etc, comes out of the money he's paid. Of course, if he decides only to do his radio show, he's sittin' pretty.

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2005, 06:22:00 AM »

My dad is fond of saying that his Christmas present for my step-mother is a $500 XM radio... in a $40,000 box.

He got her a brand-spankin' new black Toyota Avalon with all the bells and whistles.  biggrin

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2005, 01:01:53 PM »

Quote from: "lildrgn"
Re: Howard. I read that though he is making the big bucks, anything he develops, produces, etc, comes out of the money he's paid. Of course, if he decides only to do his radio show, he's sittin' pretty.

From what I remember hearing on 60 Minutes one night when they interviewed him, he plans on having three different stations, all filled with his kind of content somehow.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: