http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 01:06:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sanitizing Food by Blowing on it  (Read 1243 times)
PaulBot
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: February 20, 2005, 08:52:54 PM »

Admit it: you've done it. You drop food on the floor, pick it up, blow on it and eat it. What's your criteria for doing this?

I only do this at home. Stuff like cheese doesn't get blown on since things stick to it and can't be blown off, but chips - pick up - blow - eat. What if it's the last bit of the only chocolate bar left in the house? Gotta blow on that and eat it!!

We are much more strict with our 21 month old daughter. She likes tossing bits of her food on the floor. Those are immediately thrown in the garbage. But if we drop something, it's another set of rules, which seem to change with the wind and probably could never be documented.

My daughter (9-1/2) will pick up anything and eat it, so we have to help her along with her opinion of what should and shouldn't be eaten after it's been on the floor.

Bottom line is we probably shouldn't eat anything that's been on the floor, but if I don't, am I insulting my wife's ability to keep the house clean?

This has become far too complex... I'm going to shut up now.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 10:11:40 PM »

I defer in these cases to the Five Second Rule: if you want to eat it, and it's been on the floor for less than 5 seconds you're good to go.  Blowing on it seals the deal.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005, 10:47:47 PM »

I'm assuming the blowing is meant to get off any large dirt or dust particles that might be attached.  I don't think I've ever done that in order to blow off the actual germs smile
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2005, 11:32:23 PM »

Only with hard dry food such as doritos...and only if theres no dog hair on it. Moist food like cake or even greasy chips are a no no.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2005, 11:42:16 PM »

I don't blow on it, I do the thumb rub.

I hold the item with one hand between index finger and thumb, and once it's secured in position, I lightly rub the suspect area with the thumb. If it's a soft item, I will even rub off a thin layer of the substance just to be on the safe side.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2005, 01:23:28 AM »

If it lands on the tile it's good to go, if it lands on the grout or carpet (and is soft and/or sticky food it is headin for the trash.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2005, 05:23:06 AM »

unless i see a booger, shards of cat poop, or a pubic hair i down it. i don't even blow on it.  i figure there are worse things that inadvertently end up in my mouth throughout my life so what the hay.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2005, 05:30:32 AM »

I don't even get the chance to think about it because by the time something has fallen on the floor my pot-bellied pig is all over it. Almost like a live vacuum cleaner.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2005, 08:24:02 AM »

Actually, there's a good reason why you, as an adult, can eat some things dropped, yet your child should not.

Adults have a better developed immune and digestive system.  Out stomachs can kill off germs and our immune system handles any that escape.

In the worst case scenario of food poisoning, an adult can recognize that there is a problem and seek help.

A child is just developing his immune system and all those chemical reactions that allow him to deal with solid food, let alone contaminated food.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2005, 06:46:58 PM »

Actually, there's a good reason why you, as an adult, can eat some things dropped, yet your child should not.

Adults have a better developed immune and digestive system. Our stomachs can kill off germs and our immune system handles any that escape.

But if your child doesn't eat things off the floor, how will he/she ever develop the immune system capable of eating things off the floor?
warning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2005, 08:53:58 PM »

This thread is pure gold.  Gold I tell ya!  Gold!
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2005, 01:46:25 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
This thread is pure gold.  Gold I tell ya!  Gold!

Gold?!? Should I blow on gold if I drop it on the floor?

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2005, 02:19:08 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
I defer in these cases to the Five Second Rule: if you want to eat it, and it's been on the floor for less than 5 seconds you're good to go.  Blowing on it seals the deal.

Whoa there!  You are seriously playing with fire going by a five second rule.  Everyone knows it's the THREE second rule.  Do you have any idea how much extra time those two seconds are to germs?

A recent study discovered that it takes 1 second for germs to notice that there is food on the floor, another second to shift their protoplasm around and get moving, and one more second to glom themselves onto the food.  By the time three seconds have passed, that once delicious morsel of food is germ central.

No sir, five seconds is just not safe!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: