http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 10:16:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sad state of MNF  (Read 1195 times)
gameoverman
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2004, 03:53:25 AM »

So as I'm watching halftime of tonight's game, with a Howard Cosell retrospective, I realize how good he really was, and how much of the appeal of MNF died with him.  Whatever kind of person he was, he is still unmatched in the calling of a football game, or recapping of highlights.
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 06:52:32 AM »

Yep, MNF is so pathetic now, and has been for many years.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 03:46:31 PM »

The longstanding trio of Michaels, Gifford, and Dierdorf was awesome in my book.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 04:11:27 PM »

It isn't necessarily MNF, it is the NFL is so hard to predict these days that who knows what will be a good matchup even six weeks in advance.  If the league can move games slightly as proposed, it'll help.

This year has been an odd year for the NFL.  Three or four really good teams, and lots of really mediocre teams that are very inconsistent.

The Balitmore / Pats game looked like it could be good, but it was pretty one sided.  There aren't that many close, fun games in the league any more, and they are hard to predict.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
GungHo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 04:55:14 PM »

Youve got to factor in the salary cap thing as well.  Last night's game mightve been a whole different if Lewis was playing; but injuries are a fact of life in the NFL.  But where the salary cap kills teams is in their depth; most 2nd string guys *should be* 3rd stringers.  It's a rare team that can pull an Antowain Smith off their bench when their starter goes down.  And that showed last night; the Ravens had zero running game, and full well knowing that, the Pats can play pass defense and make a (likely) playoff team, look like a 5-11 one.

The NFL has put MNF in a tough spot; it's supposed to be the marquee matchup of the week.  BUt given that the NFL wants everyone to go 8-8, and (apparently) have playoff seeding determined by coin flips, it's almost impossible to predict who will be good when they set the matchups.  And even when they get it right, a key injury can send a very good team to sucking hind tit in a matter of weeks.

I had one...
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 10:04:29 PM »

I don't care about them having the best teams.  It's the broadcasting and presentation that sucks now.
hammer600
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004, 04:50:06 AM »

The broadcasting and presentation does not suck now. There are more camera angles and better replays now than ever before. If you don't care for Michaels and Madden then simply turn the channel to Extreme Doggy Makeovers or Fight Night in the NBA.

How a football fan could not have enjoyed Brett Farve's annihilation of the Rams last night is beyond me.

Go Wings!
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2004, 04:54:18 AM »

I prefer the History and Discovery Channels thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: