http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 11:04:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sabathia's no-hitter that wasn't  (Read 796 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2008, 03:21:15 AM »

The Brewers bellyaching about this is annoying me. What, are they losing out on t-shirt sales or something if Sabathia doesn't get credited with a no-hitter? Their argument is that he made an error, so he should be credited with something that basically implies perfection (except for walks).  Personally, I think they should change the rule so that a no-hitter must require the pitcher to make no errors.  Pitchers who get no-hitters get lucky all the time from by good plays in the field and even when their teammates make errors. But if you are pitching and you make an error? Tough luck.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 03:53:01 AM by Teggy » Logged

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 03:23:08 AM »

Yeah, that's bush league.  Go talk to all of the pitchers who pitched 9 perfect, but didn't get credit because they got pulled for the 10th.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 03:49:57 AM »

I don't know.  I can see their point.  If a fielder had made the error, would you feel differently?  If what happened would normally have been called an error, it should be in this case.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 03:58:30 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on September 02, 2008, 03:49:57 AM

I don't know.  I can see their point.  If a fielder had made the error, would you feel differently?  If what happened would normally have been called an error, it should be in this case.

There are judgment calls made all the time in baseball, it's just part of the game. No one won or lost based on this call. They are making a big deal out of something that doesn't really mean anything at this point.

Sunday “was the day it should have been a no hitter,” he said. “It takes away from that aspect. The celebration with your teammates, the excitement of the plane ride home, that’s all gone. Whatever they call it they missed their opportunity to do it right.”

That was the manager's quote. So he was upset that they didn't get to party on the plane.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 04:00:50 AM »

Last time I checked, a 1 hitter is a pretty damn huge accomplishment.  nod
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 08:50:40 AM »

Looking at replays it does seem like it shouldn't have been a hit, but the Brewers and Ned Yost should just get over it and move on.   

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 09:59:08 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on September 02, 2008, 03:23:08 AM

Yeah, that's bush league.  Go talk to all of the pitchers who pitched 9 perfect, but didn't get credit because they got pulled for the 10th.

Well, there's only two:

Harvey Haddix in 1959
Pedro Martinez in 1995

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Perfect_game#Lost_in_Extra_Innings

However, if you go with no-hitters instead of a perfect game, there are 11 other ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_no-hitters#Nine-inning_no-hitters_broken_up_in_extra_innings

Regardless, I think the Brewers should shut up.  Let's be pros here.  They should be happy with the win and how well they're playing, not crying over lost personal accomplishments.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 01:12:49 PM »

Quote from: Mithridates on September 02, 2008, 09:59:08 AM

Regardless, I think the Brewers should shut up.  Let's be pros here.  They should be happy with the win and how well they're playing, not crying over lost personal accomplishments.

I disagree. As a Cubs fan I hope the Brewers continue focusing on meaningless crap and leaving Sabathia out there to throw 117 pitches in a blow-out slywink.
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 02:30:09 AM »

Quote from: godhugh on September 02, 2008, 01:12:49 PM

Quote from: Mithridates on September 02, 2008, 09:59:08 AM

I disagree. As a Cubs fan I hope the Brewers continue focusing on meaningless crap and leaving Sabathia out there to throw 117 pitches in a blow-out slywink.

It really does seem like the Brewers are using up his arm. I guess they only have a rental for half a year so they want to get all they can out of him. I know CC is a horse but going he has really racked up some innings. I'd be concerned if I was him since he will get a huge payday next year if healthy.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: