http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 03:00:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: R&P Decision  (Read 20108 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 13, 2004, 02:02:15 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
I'll do my best here.  I'll use my best judgement on hiring people I can trust as well.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 13, 2004, 02:34:29 PM »

What I loved about the Gone Gold forum was the fact that we were all gamers.  I think that holds true here too.

I've been a gamer for 30 years, ever since playing pinball with my dad at the local hamburger joint when I was 6 or so.  I know lots of people where I live, I like alot of them.  None of them are gamers.

I like that as different as we all are collectively, we are still gamers.  I think it's neat to see the opinions of gamers on interesting subjects like politics and religion as well as TV, movies, music, commercials, sodas, whatever.

I appreciate the chance to share opinions on all topics.

I also think the politics will die down after the election.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: October 13, 2004, 03:07:26 PM »

pinball

What is this...pin.....ball....   paranoid

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 13, 2004, 03:46:15 PM »

I still love pinball, even though I haven't been able to play any good machines in a few years.

I went from pinball to early arcade machines (Space Invaders, Asteroids, Pacman).  Throw in an Atari 2600 from the late 70s.  Go into the arcade heydays of the 80s.

I didn't get my first computer until about 1992.  Although I played a few computer games in college.  Had lots of fun with a TurboGrafix for awhile in the early 90s too.
Aliasbuck
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 13, 2004, 03:52:50 PM »

I call shenanigans on this absurd notion.

Is that like calling shotgun?  biggrin
Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 13, 2004, 04:00:36 PM »

pinball

You know, Timeshock. Creep Night.  Balls of Steel.

Oh wait, forgot where I was... uh, Mario Pinball Land? :wink:

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
Enough
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 13, 2004, 04:50:28 PM »

Quote from: "Tscott"
pinball

You know, Timeshock. Creep Night.  Balls of Steel.

Oh wait, forgot where I was... uh, Mario Pinball Land? :wink:
Ok now this forum is after my own heart.  I love both irl Pinball (Medieval Madness best table ever; think Python meets the silver ball) and PC/Sim Pinball (ProPinball best series ever).  My how I like how this conversation has turned.  

th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: October 13, 2004, 04:52:49 PM »

The Classic :

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
dfs
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 13, 2004, 05:09:15 PM »

Thank you for the edit and the consideration. I'm really pleased to see Off-Topic possible expand to contain R&P, I really think that's a great decision.
Enough
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 13, 2004, 05:25:15 PM »

Quote from: "th'FOOL"
The Classic :

[img]
In terms of pinball history yes.  But there is no match for the goodness that is Medieval Madness in terms of playability and enjoyment.  Have you played it?

th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: October 13, 2004, 05:49:36 PM »

yeah, but not as much as I played Black Knight, due to availability more than anything.

Black Knight was AWESOME.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Onioneer
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 13, 2004, 07:04:53 PM »

With 48 bazillion R&P site on the web why would I look at one here?
I forgot there was a forum for it at GG.

On a  side note I knew a guy back in the 1980's who wrote a review of the Black Knight pinball game for "Vending Times"(a trade mag I guess) and the maker GAVE him a BLack Knight Pinball game.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: October 13, 2004, 07:16:18 PM »

I own a minty Black Knight... and several other machines...

I would buy a medieval madness if it wasnt 7500$ and up...

www.thechessmen.com/pinball.htm

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 13, 2004, 07:19:57 PM »

Ron, you've been a Prince to take in all of the refugees.  Sounds like you have a firm vision of what you would like CG to be and it is my strong feeling that this site will thrive so long as you stick to your vision.  If R&P isn't a part of that vision, then nixing it is the perfect idea.  More than anything, I really respect and appreciate the amount of communication and transparency you've offered in connection with these decisions here on the boards.  Nobody is left in the dark and everyone should know where they stand.  You can't ask for more than that.

Not sure where I will end up.  Would like to concentrate on only one board.  Maybe the new BS (or OO) board will do the trick.
Siljanus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 13, 2004, 08:26:43 PM »

Guido, I think the Great Console Gold experiment is still ongoing.  I see a few politically themed threads now.  I'd like to give this place a shot due to the generosity of the staff and their willingness to make such accomodations in such a short period of time.  It would be nice if enough people stick around to make a go at this site and make the changes work.

Everyone has to decide for themselves though where they want to end up.  I'd like to split my time and visit forums which have a large number of GGers.  Time will tell I guess.

Let us be thankful we have an occupation to fill. Work hard, increase production, prevent accidents and be happy.

Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy. And be happy.
GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 13, 2004, 09:17:42 PM »

Quote from: "Siljanus"
Guido, I think the Great Console Gold experiment is still ongoing.  I see a few politically themed threads now.  I'd like to give this place a shot due to the generosity of the staff and their willingness to make such accomodations in such a short period of time.  It would be nice if enough people stick around to make a go at this site and make the changes work.

Everyone has to decide for themselves though where they want to end up.  I'd like to split my time and visit forums which have a large number of GGers.  Time will tell I guess.

I hope so, but I was one of those folks who was pretty unhappy with the R&P split over at GG, and I believe the audience here is more of the "no R&P type stuff is great" persuasion.  To which, I say: good for you; you know what you want and you should get it.  I think ThFool expressed it pretty elequently: the powers that be want this place to be about gaming and don't really want any heavy distractions from the core mission: providing great content about games.  I perceived GG (at least in the 2+ years I was there) to have been more about a gaming community, and that so long as you were a gamer there was really nothing you *could* do to detract from the core mission.

I guess what I'm looking for is a hangout for grown-up gamers who are free to share their thoughts on any topic in a mature fashion.  That seems pretty simple to me, but there is an awful lot of anxiety about it here.  I'd just as soon not create stress for a pre-existing community that was already plenty happy with what they created.  We're the gypsies; if its not home, we should just keep moving until we find it.  There are other options out there.
Poleaxe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 14, 2004, 12:25:59 AM »

The Classic :

"I am the Black Knight!"

/80's computer voice
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: October 14, 2004, 04:13:16 AM »

Quote from: "Enough"
The Classic :

[img]
In terms of pinball history yes.  But there is no match for the goodness that is Medieval Madness in terms of playability and enjoyment.  Have you played it?

Betwen Medieval Madness and Road Show, I loved my times at my local Gameworks.

Then they both got broken and nobody fixed them...

BTW - if you're looking for any pinball tables, I highly recommend eBay. You might find a few steals there.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 14, 2004, 07:14:49 AM »

Quote from: "GuidoTKP"

I guess what I'm looking for is a hangout for grown-up gamers who are free to share their thoughts on any topic in a mature fashion.  That seems pretty simple to me, but there is an awful lot of anxiety about it here.  I'd just as soon not create stress for a pre-existing community that was already plenty happy with what they created.  We're the gypsies; if its not home, we should just keep moving until we find it.  There are other options out there.

Hey guido.. check out

http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/

They're good people. Easy to get along with, mildly organized weekly games.. it's just good stuff. I've had lots of fun with them and their site so far.

It's a different kind of site than most of the other gaming related sites I've ever been too.

And they do have a "Politics and Controversy" board for anyone interested in discussing politics. I don't know about religion. From what I can tell it just hasn't been brought up recently. Don't know if that's important to you or not.

Anyway, at least check it out. It's at the very least another mature fun site to look at every once in a while, even if it doesn't become your home forum.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
none
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: October 14, 2004, 07:01:19 PM »

Quote from: "HankRaptor"

dude!  party at HankRaptor's!

biggrin
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 14, 2004, 07:39:19 PM »

Er, isn't that exactly what we have here? What else does KD have to do to make you happy? You don't have to have a seperate forum and he is allowing you to discuss R&P here (civilly). What else do you want? Why do you need to move elsewhere?

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
tripwire
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 14, 2004, 08:56:31 PM »

Some people that have come over here can't believe there are others who care not about discussing R&P. :shock: It's just too funny.

There's already one thread someone started that has trouble written all over it. It's only a matter of time before some are shown the door, and rightfully so. People will soon learn that this isn't a place to spread your political agenda and religious beliefs.  ninja
GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 15, 2004, 12:59:06 AM »

Quote from: "JCC"

Er, isn't that exactly what we have here? What else does KD have to do to make you happy? You don't have to have a seperate forum and he is allowing you to discuss R&P here (civilly). What else do you want? Why do you need to move elsewhere?

I'm troubled that KD feels like he has to make any concessions at all.  Contrary to tripwire's post above, its quite easy for me to understand why the powers that be here have traditionally been against R&P.  Further, as trip illustrates below, many of the people here do not want to see R&P style topics.  That's fine.  I can't imagine why the CG community would want to cater to anyone on the subject; you guys had a great place here before GG's demise and it will be great if a bunch of us move on.  But I'm looking for a GG experience, and its clear to me that there is a tremendous amount of angst here about providing that atmosphere.  That means that its not a perfect fit for me, but may be a perfect fit for 95% of the remaining GG refugees.  I begrudge nobody that preference.

When I started over at GG, the EBG forum was pretty much an anything goes place that ran the gamut from the serious to the absurd.  Further, because all we had really tying us together was games, I ended up conversing with people whose backgrounds and thought processes were wildly different from my own.  It was in essence an opportunity to discuss serious topics with people I wouldn't otherwise have a chance/make the effort to talk to.  What I'm sensing here is "we're not crazed about R&P stuff, we've traditionally hated it, but enough of you are clamoring for it that we'll give it a go, albeit the conversations will start off on double-secret probation."  As a former GGer, that just reminds me that this isn't my house.

I know everyone likes unity, and KD has certainly bent over backwards and more to try and make this place attractive to an evolving audience, but for some of us it doesn't seem like it will be the perfect marriage.  I think for those folks, its probably just better to move on (or, to the extent we don't, to think of this as a different place with different rules when we decide to stop by for a visit).

As I hope I've already conveyed, I think KD is trying to make the best decisions for his site and his community, and he has been courtious, fair, and accomodating to the newcomers.  I have no complaints about the treatment we've received here, and I'll just come out and say that I wish some of my fellow gone gold refugees had been slightly less strident in advancing their views, but that is what it is.  I've still been poking in here, even though I've been splitting time at popehat.com and brutesquad.net.  I think it remains to be seen where the best place to hang out will end up being, but I feel like we're stepping on fewer people's toes at those other forums than here.
tripwire
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 15, 2004, 02:25:53 AM »

You might understand, others don't seem to.

Wouldn't want you and others to leave, there really is a great environment here for gamers who also like to kick back and talk about other topics.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 15, 2004, 11:34:08 PM »

Understandable. I will miss reading some parts of it as I did in R&P, but I respect the decision. Maybe someday we can be civil enough to start one. r perhaps after the election, when things have calmed down again. But whatever the choice, I respect it. I stopped going into R&P. After the mave, it wasnt the same, and some sane voices were lost. So basically I respect your choice.  :idea: End with a cat butt.
Gebeker
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 16, 2004, 10:59:16 PM »

I'm another gamer that wants what Gone Gold was.  I want to thank the folks here for being so accommodating to the former GGers.   If you don't want R & P here, that's your right.   I won't stick around, because I want to be able to discuss religion and politics.  

Again, thanks to everyone at CG for being so accommodating.   You have really bent over backwards to welcome the GG crowd here.
Siljanus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 16, 2004, 11:35:46 PM »

Quote from: "Gebeker"
I'm another gamer that wants what Gone Gold was.  I want to thank the folks here for being so accommodating to the former GGers.   If you don't want R & P here, that's your right.   I won't stick around, because I want to be able to discuss religion and politics.  

Again, thanks to everyone at CG for being so accommodating.   You have really bent over backwards to welcome the GG crowd here.

Luckily though, as long as you're not an ass about it (taken from the off-topic subforum description) you can talk about anything under the sun.

So post away Gebeker!  smile

Let us be thankful we have an occupation to fill. Work hard, increase production, prevent accidents and be happy.

Zarathud
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 17, 2004, 04:46:39 AM »

I always enjoyed discussing Religion & Politics with other people who I always had at least one thing in common with -- enjoying games.  Plus, it was interesting to see which games were enjoyed by people I disagreed with.  I thought Religion & Politics was a great aspect of the community.  I think it's Console Gold's lost opportunity because mature, adult gamers are more than just their hobby.

But it's your place, do what you want with it.
Siljanus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 17, 2004, 03:01:31 PM »

Quote from: "Zarathud"
I always enjoyed discussing Religion & Politics with other people who I always had at least one thing in common with -- enjoying games.  Plus, it was interesting to see which games were enjoyed by people I disagreed with.  I thought Religion & Politics was a great aspect of the community.  I think it's Console Gold's lost opportunity because mature, adult gamers are more than just their hobby.

But it's your place, do what you want with it.

I agree and luckily as long as one is not an ass about it you can post about religion and politics.  It just doesn't have its own subforum yet, much like the way GG was at one time.

Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: October 18, 2004, 07:17:25 PM »

Quote from: "JCC"

I'm troubled that KD feels like he has to make any concessions at all.  Contrary to tripwire's post above, its quite easy for me to understand why the powers that be here have traditionally been against R&P.  Further, as trip illustrates below, many of the people here do not want to see R&P style topics.  That's fine.  I can't imagine why the CG community would want to cater to anyone on the subject; you guys had a great place here before GG's demise and it will be great if a bunch of us move on.  But I'm looking for a GG experience, and its clear to me that there is a tremendous amount of angst here about providing that atmosphere.  That means that its not a perfect fit for me, but may be a perfect fit for 95% of the remaining GG refugees.  I begrudge nobody that preference.

Has he really made major concessions?  It sounds to me like some of the discourse here made the staff think about the real purpose behind the policy.

I think when you reasonably say, "I want a place where I can hang out with gamers, talk games, but also feel free to discuss anything."  I don't imagine Ron thinking "I don't want to give them that, but I'd hate to lose them."  I'd suggest CG's thinking was more along the lines of, "Yeah, that is the kind of place we want to have.  We just don't want bile and name calling.  If clear and firm forum moderation can give us that, we should reword the rules to more accurately reflect what we want in a forum."

Guido, I think you understand that the letter of the law doesn't always reflect the intent of the people who wrote it.  Sometimes it takes a few rewrites and clarifications, but that doesn't mean they're changing to accomodate others.

Of course, there was some accomodation, such as the creation of a PC gaming area, but those flowed logically out of the death of Gone Gold.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: October 20, 2004, 02:23:04 AM »

Quote from: "Hrothgar"
I think when you reasonably say, "I want a place where I can hang out with gamers, talk games, but also feel free to discuss anything."  I don't imagine Ron thinking "I don't want to give them that, but I'd hate to lose them."  I'd suggest CG's thinking was more along the lines of, "Yeah, that is the kind of place we want to have.  We just don't want bile and name calling.  If clear and firm forum moderation can give us that, we should reword the rules to more accurately reflect what we want in a forum."

Naw, KD is an ass. He'd be thinkin' column A.  :\

just kiddin' Ron. Please don't ban me. slywink
I just couldn't let that one go. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
weeskwee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 22, 2004, 12:55:02 AM »

i remember when gone gold first split religion and politics from off topic and everyone had a cow. "omg, it's going to die. not that many people will go into a seperate forum. this is a tragedy. i am leaving. etc. etc."
now here there will be no seperate forum and the religious/political threads will have to be created in the off topic forum and everyone is up in arms. gone gold sure spawned a lot of whining sissies. seriously, you talk about yourselves wanting "serious adult discussion" yet you are all acting like rotten crybabies and are biting the hand that feeds. the one site caring enough to giving you back 95% of what gone gold was. real nice.
personally, i hate religion/politics and would prefer it have it's own forum so i don't have it mixing in with the interesting topics in the off topic forum. but i'm not going to complain or write a sob story about leaving. why you can't go to another place to discuss those 2 topics and come here for the rest is beyond me. it's got to be all or nothing with gamers.  Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: