http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 06:52:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rolling Stone is Retarded.  (Read 2190 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: September 16, 2006, 04:23:52 AM »

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5938174/the_rs_500_greatest_albums_of_all_time

Top 500 greatest albums?  No Rush.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/coverstory/500songs/page/1

Top 500 greatest songs?  No Rush. 

They DO have:

#417 - Fuck the Police - N.W.A.
#440 - Push It - Salt-n-Peppa
#465 - Surrender - Cheap Trick
#477 - Super Freak - Rick James
#322. Fight the Power, Public Enemy
#290. Stan, Eminem featuring Dido
#248. Rappers Delight, The Sugarhill Gang
#160. Bring the Noise, Public Enemy
#43. Tutti-Frutti, Little Richard

And the top 10 just breaks my brain.
#10. What'd I Say, Ray Charles
#9. Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana
#8. Hey Jude, The Beatles
#7. Johnny B. Goode, Chuck Berry
#6. Good Vibrations, The Beach Boys
#5. Respect, Aretha Franklin
#4. What's Going On, Marvin Gaye
#3. Imagine, John Lennon
#2. Satisfaction, The Rolling Stones
#1. Like a Rolling Stone, Bob Dylan

Seriously.  What the hell?  Rolling Stone clearly has NO idea what good music is anymore.   Am I wrong here?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 04:33:24 AM »

There's a simple answer to the exclusion:

RUSH SUCKS!!!  finger  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 04:42:46 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 16, 2006, 04:33:24 AM

There's a simple answer to the exclusion:

RUSH SUCKS!!!  finger  Tongue

Sniffle......  crybaby

Seriously though, you may or may not like Rush, but don't they beat out Public Enemy and Eminem for crying out loud?!

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 07:45:46 AM »

I haven't paid attention to Rolling Stone's rankings of music since they named the Clash's "London Calling" album of the decade for the 80's.  I'm not saying it wasn't good, but I doubt most people would even put it in their top 100.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 01:30:46 PM »

I also think Rush is ridiculously overrated, so I'm not highly offended.  I agree that eminem doesn't belong in any list of top anything, but PE was one of (if not THE) first rap acts to acheive widespread success, so they will get some noteriety for that.

Now as for the top ten you posted, what about that (other than Nirvana) breaks your brain.  Other than Nivana, all of those songs have a long established history and are well regarded as classics.  Like PE (and the game Doom  icon_biggrin) Nirvana is being added because of market impact.  "Alternative' became the new big seller with their success, even if other bands pretty much did their stuff before them.  Not saying I agree with this thinking, but that's what I suspect they were thinking.

Now, i just took a breif look at their album lists.  Examples of my thoughts:
#61 GNR- Appetite for destruction.
 See, now this proves how clueless these guys are.  It's 10 years later, and this album is already completely forgotten.  IT SUCKS.  Yeah, I know we have a few Townies here who probably now want to kick my ass, but they'll have to deal with it.  Here's a hint for those people who are pissed at me dissing this album: Back in Black by AC/DC is a couple spots down at #73.  Are you telling me the album immediately following the death of Bon Scott, with songs easily harding rocking than ANYTHING GNR ever did, isn't more imporatant, much less better?  Don't be silly.

#85 Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA
Rated above this? #62 Actung Baby (U2).  Uh-huh.  People have such endearing memories of that album, don't they?  Oh sure, there are some decent songs on it, but is it an artist-defining album as Born in the USA was?  Hell no.  This album is the elevation of Bruce from one of the best roots rockers in the us to Superstar and possibly biggest act in the world at the time. 

#133 Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to die
Quick,Three of you name me a song from this album.  Exactly.  Thug rap appeals to two groups: the members of the group of which it raps about, and white kids from the suburbs who are pretending to be more multi-ethnic than they really are.

#139 U2 - All that you can't leave behind
Ok, now I'm actually pissed.  Joshua Tree was well deserving of #26, it's a time tested album that made them superstars.  This?  Fuck you.  Maybe, if you replace this spot with Unforgettable Fire, I might agree.  But this piece of shit?  Let me go see now where Sheryl Crow's album is at.

#193 Green Day - Dookie
I'm just highlighting this because I want to see how pissed off I can make you guys. 

#197 REM - Murmur
First REM album on the list.  And It's rated behind Green Day. Just thought I'd mention that.

#200 NIN - The Downward Spiral
1) Haven't seen Too Dark Park by skinny puppy on this list yet
2) Arguably one of my three favorite albums of all time.  Again, ranked behind Green Day.

#209 Pink Floyd - Wish you were here
No, I still haven't got over Green Day...

Oh what the hell
#326  Cure - Disintegration
#455 Police - Synchronicity

Yeah, neither of these were as big as say, #317 The Eminem Show or #316 Rock Steady by No doubt.

On that note, I better quit now before I kill myself.  Oh, and I do actually own a copy of Dookie.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
infoghost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 01:32:05 PM »

Their top 100 guitar players of all time was just as much of a joke. I think Cobain and Jack White were top 20, while Eddie Van Halen was 78 or something. Not to mention the people that were not even on the list.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 02:54:42 PM »

That's not a horrible list, but there are certainly a few glaring exceptions:

-  How the hell did Skinny Puppy not make that list? They practically invented a genre, and every industrial and pseudo-industrial act since 1980 (I'm looking at you Trent) should be paying them royalties.  Either 'Last Rights' or 'Too Dark Park' definately belong on that list, but my guess is that the Rolling Stone editors would say "Who?".

-  No Bauhaus?

-  Alice in Chains 'Dirt' is far and away the best album to every come out of the whole grunge movement.  They've got Nirvana's 'Unplugged' on there but no Alice?

-  Bad Religion's 'Suffer' should certainly be there

Seriously though, you may or may not like Rush, but don't they beat out Public Enemy and Eminem for crying out loud?!

Eminem?  Absolutley.  Public Enemy?  Probably not.  Like them or not, PE had a huge impact and definately deserve mention.

#61 GNR- Appetite for destruction.
 See, now this proves how clueless these guys are.  It's 10 years later, and this album is already completely forgotten.  IT SUCKS.  Yeah, I know we have a few Townies here who probably now want to kick my ass, but they'll have to deal with it.  Here's a hint for those people who are pissed at me dissing this album: Back in Black by AC/DC is a couple spots down at #73.  Are you telling me the album immediately following the death of Bon Scott, with songs easily harding rocking than ANYTHING GNR ever did, isn't more imporatant, much less better?  Don't be silly.

I could not possibly disagree more.  Of course, I've never been much of an AC/DC fan (all their music just seemed like silly frat-boy nonsense to me), and I still think Appetite for Destruction kicks ass.  A lot of people have soured on GnR because of Axl's nonsense since then, but AfD is still a fantastic album.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 03:20:15 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on September 16, 2006, 04:42:46 AM

I like some of Eminem's songs, and Stan w/Dido was a decent tune in a fucked up way.  I never really listened to PE, so I couldn't say if they were good or not, but I just can't stand the vocals for Rush.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 03:47:14 PM »

Appetite For Destruction sucks?  Yeah, can't agree there.  People may have largely forgot about GNR Lies or that whole double album thing, Appetite still holds up wonderfuly. 
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2006, 04:17:48 PM »

Ok, I just took a look at the song list.

#36 U2-One
 finger
I am now going to go kill someone.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2006, 07:04:21 PM »

I think Rolling Stone votes with tradition rather than purpose.  Seriously?  Bob Dylan is #1?  I can't find 10 people that listen to Bob Dylan. (or did in the past) He sounds like he's mildly retarded and sings through his nose. 

If we are going by market impact and sales, the baseball "Hey" song would be up there, as would the Macarena.  Both songs suck, but people sure bought the hell out of them. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2006, 09:14:22 PM »

Master of Puppets #167?!?!  finger
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2006, 11:42:37 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on September 16, 2006, 07:04:21 PM

I think Rolling Stone votes with tradition rather than purpose.  Seriously?  Bob Dylan is #1?  I can't find 10 people that listen to Bob Dylan. (or did in the past) He sounds like he's mildly retarded and sings through his nose. 

If we are going by market impact and sales, the baseball "Hey" song would be up there, as would the Macarena.  Both songs suck, but people sure bought the hell out of them. 

I suspect that has more to do with the title of the song.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2006, 11:51:17 PM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on September 16, 2006, 11:42:37 PM

And the fact that Bob Dylan is widely regarded as one of the greatest song writers around.  He may not be on the radio these days but he has made huge contributions to music.  Having said that, my Dad played his records all the time when I was a kid and I don't mind his music, but it isn't something that I listen to often (although I have friends that do). 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2006, 12:13:09 AM »

Havn't looked at a copy of Rolling Stone in 10 years. What a worthless, overrated, full of itself magazine.

Bob Dylan's 'Rolling Stone' #1...*GAG*
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2006, 07:35:45 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 16, 2006, 11:51:17 PM

Quote from: Pyperkub on September 16, 2006, 11:42:37 PM

And the fact that Bob Dylan is widely regarded as one of the greatest song writers around.  He may not be on the radio these days but he has made huge contributions to music.  Having said that, my Dad played his records all the time when I was a kid and I don't mind his music, but it isn't something that I listen to often (although I have friends that do). 

And this makes it the greatest song of all time? Don't get me wrong, I have a few Dylan albums (and Highway 61 revisited is way up there) but I just don't see that as #1.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2006, 03:24:16 AM »

#133 Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to die
Quick,Three of you name me a song from this album.  Exactly.  Thug rap appeals to two groups: the members of the group of which it raps about, and white kids from the suburbs who are pretending to be more multi-ethnic than they really are.

Hey now, I'm hardly a thug rap fan, but Ready to Die is some good stuff, DESPITE the fact that Puffy has his fingers all up in there.

Just Hiro will do.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2006, 05:04:04 AM »

W.t.f.

Let me be frank: Bob Dylan has written better material than any other band mentioned in this thread.  Bob Dylan is righeoutsly recognized as the greatest living songwriter by anyone who has a combination of being older than 20 and an IQ over 110. The thought that someone is going to discount him because 'he sings nasally' pisses me off to no end. 

When Rush, GNR, etc write one 'The Times they are a'changing', talk to me.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2006, 09:55:11 AM »

Let me be frank: Bob Dylan has written better material than any other band mentioned in this thread.  Bob Dylan is righeoutsly recognized as the greatest living songwriter by anyone who has a combination of being older than 20 and an IQ over 110. The thought that someone is going to discount him because 'he sings nasally' pisses me off to no end. 
Fair enough.  I think he sings nasally and I don't like a single one of his songs.  Not even a lil bit.  I'm over 20 and my IQ is over 110.   Not sure what circles praise him so, but I don't know a single person who likes his music, regardless of age.  We must travel in very different circles my friend. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2006, 11:36:56 AM »

Quote from: Big Jake on September 18, 2006, 05:04:04 AM

For many people, the quality of the singer's voice plays a large part in the amount of enjoyment they get from listening to a song. It's been that way for centuries. When was the last time a "nasally" opera singer had any success? smile  As an instrument, Bob Dyan's voice is horrid. Horrid to the point where a lot of people immediately discount him. That's just the way it is unfortunately. If someone composed an incredible violin piece and played it on a $100 violin that was slightly out of tune, most folks would not appreciate the song for what is was.

I have seen Dylan live before and I was very impressed. Even though I was not a huge fan, I definately enjoyed it. He seemed to be more in his element on stage than in a studio.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2006, 03:12:26 PM »

W.t.f.

[bob dylan singing]
mumble mumble mumble mumble.... mumble mumble?  mum-mum-mum-mumble, mumble mum-mumble...
[/bob dylan singing]

icon_twisted

I can discount anyone that I don't like.  I don't care for his singing or any of his songs, hence I am not going to say he's the greatest singer or writer in the world.

Because I can,
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2006, 04:45:55 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 18, 2006, 03:12:26 PM

W.t.f.

[bob dylan singing]
mumble mumble mumble mumble.... mumble mumble?  mum-mum-mum-mumble, mumble mum-mumble...
[/bob dylan singing]

icon_twisted

I can discount anyone that I don't like.  I don't care for his singing or any of his songs, hence I am not going to say he's the greatest singer or writer in the world.

Ditto.

I respect what the man was all about in the 60's, and that he is popular within a class of people, but I find him to be way overrated.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2006, 04:48:55 PM »

That top 10 isn't TOO bad, but I would definitely remove Aretha Franklin, Bob Dylan, and Nirvana's entries. Smells Like Teen Spirit is awful, and I am a Nirvana fan. I see way too much of a focus on rap music (surprise) and what is "popular", within their list, than what is actually good, but then again, this is one of those things that is very subjective.

The worst choice?

180. Hey Ya!, Outkast

Give. Me. A. Break. saywhat
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 04:50:53 PM by jblank » Logged

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2006, 05:43:42 PM »

Quote from: Toe on September 18, 2006, 11:36:56 AM

For many people, the quality of the singer's voice plays a large part in the amount of enjoyment they get from listening to a song. It's been that way for centuries. When was the last time a "nasally" opera singer had any success? smile 

We *need* the jaw dropping smilie.

WHAT?!?!? Oh right, Axl Rose has a good voice.  Whoemever it is that sings for Rush has a good voice.  Every single rapper has a good voice. Mick Jagger had a good voice. Michael Stipe, whom I'm listening to as I type, had a good voice.  saywhat

There is a word for your point above, toe. That word is "Hypocrisy".  There are a grand total of maybe ten people in rock history who had actually good voices (and none of those ten people is Bono, btw  icon_biggrin). 

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2006, 09:43:35 PM »

Let me be frank: Bob Dylan has written better material than any other band mentioned in this thread.

O RLY? paranoid

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2006, 11:24:34 PM »

Excuse me, someone is quoting (not verbatim) a poet, and that shows that he is unoriginal?  OOOKKKKK. I guess the word 'homage' doesn't exist in some people's vocabulary.

1) So suddenly his entire's 60's catalogue is void?  Please note I said he had written better material, not that everything he writes is better.

2) Mary should have done a little research - this isn't even the first time this has come up.  He's been involved before in taking lines from a literary work (the album Love and Theft).  The excerpts he took (or plaigarized if you want) were undisguised there as well.  This is not news, nor is Dylan's legacy based upon two albums from the post 90's.

Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2006, 11:26:31 PM »

Oh, and I'm sure the whole Kurt Vonnegutbeing credited with her 'wear sunscreen' thing doesn't contribute to her opinion of 'naming your sources'.  icon_lol

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2006, 11:54:20 PM »

Personally I couldn't care less.  It's just too bad he did it because smartasses like me can go ahead and point to stuff like that.  His legacy, regardless of this, is secure.

And I actually liked Love and Theft.  Might not be his greatest work, but it has more natural style than anything else on the dial could ever hope to manufacture.  How can not dig "Not Dark Yet"?

Finally, Bob Dylan might sound "nasaly" but damn if there aren't a boatload of great singers with weird voices and styles out there.  It's just another instrument.  Whether you choose like it or not is your call.  If a Rush fan posts something negative about Dylan in this thread you are a hypocrite of the worst kind. icon_wink

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2006, 02:56:44 PM »

Rush is the featured article today on Wikipedia.  Turns out they invented the internal combustion engine!
warning

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2006, 04:15:00 PM »

I think Dylan sounds fine.  Maybe a little worse for wear now but I don't have room to talk - I listen to Opeth.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2006, 04:34:09 PM »

Quote from: warning on September 19, 2006, 04:15:00 PM

I think Dylan sounds fine.  Maybe a little worse for wear now but I don't have room to talk - I listen to Opeth.

Opeth's singer actually has a pretty good voice when he's not in Cookie Monster mode.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: