http://gamingtrend.com
November 29, 2014, 05:12:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roll Tide!  (Read 664 times)
Sarkus
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2008, 11:32:42 PM »

Hey, you gotta take the bad with the good, right?

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10875943

Alabama linebacker Jimmy Johns was arrested on felony drug charges Tuesday and kicked off the team, the latest in a string of off-the-field problems for coach Nick Saban's squad.

Alabama players have been involved in a series of arrests and off-the-field suspensions, with Saban acknowledging the need for better discipline and judgment earlier this year after two players were arrested within days of each other.

Quote from: ESPN
Johns is the 10th Alabama football player arrested within the last year.

Roll Tide, indeed.

icon_wink

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 12:12:20 AM »

These arrests are left overs from Shula's recruits.... one of the most undisciplined bunch ever to come out of Alabama.

We have the #1 recruiting class this year, and things are heading in the right direction.    The team finally 'gets it' on the field, and with Johns gone, it's a step closer to getting the bad apples out of this program for good.

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 12:21:32 AM »

Damn that Shula!  Serves them right for not hiring an alum.  Oh wait . . .

Oh well, he's definately the worst coach they've ever had.  Oh wait . . .
 icon_wink

Good thing Nick's in charge now.  He's clean as a whistle, the perfect guy to clean things up.

As an aside, I heard today that every coach in the SEC now makes at least a $1.5m base salary, compared to only two in the Pac 10.   icon_eek

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 12:42:45 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on June 25, 2008, 12:21:32 AM

Damn that Shula!  Serves them right for not hiring an alum.  Oh wait . . .

Oh well, he's definately the worst coach they've ever had.  Oh wait . . .
 icon_wink

Good thing Nick's in charge now.  He's clean as a whistle, the perfect guy to clean things up.

As an aside, I heard today that every coach in the SEC now makes at least a $1.5m base salary, compared to only two in the Pac 10.   icon_eek

Yeah... in true one-upmanship fashion, LSU made Miles (who is btw an idiot), the highest paid coach just to unseat Saban.
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 01:03:53 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on June 25, 2008, 12:42:45 AM

Miles (who is btw an idiot)

An idiot with the title.   icon_wink

Alabama definitely has their issues, but, and it pains this LSU fan to say this, they will soon be feared.  Saban is going to whip these new recruits into shape.  He's a good coach and combine that with talent and a school like Alabama and you have a dangerous combination.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 01:48:20 AM »

Quote from: McNutt on June 25, 2008, 01:03:53 AM

Quote from: msduncan on June 25, 2008, 12:42:45 AM

Miles (who is btw an idiot)

An idiot with the title.   icon_wink

Alabama definitely has their issues, but, and it pains this LSU fan to say this, they will soon be feared.  Saban is going to whip these new recruits into shape.  He's a good coach and combine that with talent and a school like Alabama and you have a dangerous combination.

I was surpised at LSU offering Miles what they did.   From a non-LSU fan's perspective, we thought LSU fans had very little love for him.
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 02:08:06 AM »

I was never sold on him.  He seemed too easy going for an SEC head coach.  Saban would get in a player's face if he blew a play, but Miles seemed to have a "that's okay" attitude.  I don't like that, but it wasn't enough to damn him in my eyes.  I really gained a lot of respect for him when he signed an extension and ended all of the Michigan speculation.  He never lied to us (yes, that still bothers LSU fans about Saban) even though everyone would have understood if he had left for Michigan.  He gave us a national title and he showed us that he's willing to kick off players that have issues with staying out of trouble, even if they are the starting quarterback.

I don't think he's the best coach out there, but he's pretty good and I don't know that we'd have better luck with anybody else.  There were rumors going around that if Miles took the Michigan job (that was floating around after week 1) we'd entertain hiring 1) Steve Spurrier 2) Tommy Tuberville or 3)Nick Saban.  Man, talk about a weird selection.  LSU fans have hated every one of those guys, but I'll be damned if we didn't sit around talking about which one we'd like.  I went with Tuberville, but that's only if offered a choice of those three.   icon_razz  Thank Jehova we didn't have to make that choice.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 03:08:32 AM »

Quote from: McNutt on June 25, 2008, 02:08:06 AM

I was never sold on him.  He seemed too easy going for an SEC head coach.  Saban would get in a player's face if he blew a play, but Miles seemed to have a "that's okay" attitude.  I don't like that, but it wasn't enough to damn him in my eyes.  I really gained a lot of respect for him when he signed an extension and ended all of the Michigan speculation.  He never lied to us (yes, that still bothers LSU fans about Saban) even though everyone would have understood if he had left for Michigan.  He gave us a national title and he showed us that he's willing to kick off players that have issues with staying out of trouble, even if they are the starting quarterback.

I don't think he's the best coach out there, but he's pretty good and I don't know that we'd have better luck with anybody else.  There were rumors going around that if Miles took the Michigan job (that was floating around after week 1) we'd entertain hiring 1) Steve Spurrier 2) Tommy Tuberville or 3)Nick Saban.  Man, talk about a weird selection.  LSU fans have hated every one of those guys, but I'll be damned if we didn't sit around talking about which one we'd like.  I went with Tuberville, but that's only if offered a choice of those three.   icon_razz  Thank Jehova we didn't have to make that choice.

Hopefully Saban recently signaled that he's planning to stay at Alabama for a long time.   He and Terry donated $1 million to a University of Alabama scholarship fund.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 02:20:35 PM »

Quote from: McNutt on June 25, 2008, 02:08:06 AM

Miles won us a National Championship just like Saban did.  What more could you want?  I actually like Miles' coaching.  I also like that he gambles and gets away with it.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: