http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 08:47:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rock and Roll Hall of Shame 2012 Nominees announced  (Read 643 times)
Darkstar One
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: September 27, 2011, 12:22:18 PM »

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/entertainment/post/2011/09/rock-hall-of-fame-2012-nominees-announced/1

No Pat Benatar?  No B-52's?  No Shangri-Las?  No Go-Go's?  No 10000 Maniacs?

F**k the Hall of Shame.
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 12:46:57 PM »

awww...i thought they had actually made a R+R Hall of Shame..i now WANT a R+R Hall Of Shame

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 02:23:03 PM »

The "Rock & Roll" HOF has become a joke in recent years. Its dead to me. When I saw they put in Neil Diamond last year I just died laughing....yes Neil Diamond.

This year I see Donna Summers nominated....now Disco/pop is a part of R&R.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 02:25:46 PM »

Yet again, much more deserving bands are overlooked.
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 02:51:16 PM »

Iíve never understood the criteria for being elected to the HoF.  It doesnít seem to be about body of work as you have somebody like Ritchie Valens in there.  Sometimes it seems like having a hit or two is all it takes.  I guess that means bands like Nickleback, Hanson and White Tiger are locks. 
Darkstar One
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 03:26:40 PM »

It's more about who's sucked off Jann Wenner, apparently.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 05:59:50 PM »

Everyone's a critic.  There's always going to be someone pissed off that their horse didn't win the race.  Let's just agree that any attempt at starting a hall of fame in any field is doomed to failure.   icon_wink

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 06:28:13 PM »

I'm not upset about anybody left out as I honestly don't care enough about the museum to know who has been snubbed.  My problem with this type of museum is that it's tries to be cool and have the Rock n Roll name to it but it doesn't limit itself to rock.  And the votes are too subjective.  With other halls of fame there are usually statistics that are used as a measurement, but that's not the case here, or at least it doesn't seem like the case.  Is it album sales?  That can be measured, but then if you use that as a criteria you have to induct Vanilla Ice.  Is it influence?  How in the hell do you measure influence?  I mean Joan Jett?  As far as I can remember she had one hit "I Love Rock n Roll" and one cover that got some airplay "Crimson and Clover."  Is that all it takes to get nominated?  Hell, Fine Young Cannibals hit it bigger than that and who is going to argue that they belong in the hall of fame?
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 06:32:57 PM »

Quote from: McNutt on September 27, 2011, 06:28:13 PM

I mean Joan Jett?  As far as I can remember she had one hit "I Love Rock n Roll" and one cover that got some airplay "Crimson and Clover."  Is that all it takes to get nominated?  Hell, Fine Young Cannibals hit it bigger than that and who is going to argue that they belong in the hall of fame?

psst.... The Runaways .   icon_wink  Joan and her bandmates helped to break down a lot of walls by being in an all female band that competed with the boys on the same level.  I have no problem with her being called influential.

I'm just upset that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame didn't take me seriously when I suggested installing a giant Ike Turner taking a swing at visitors when they entered the lobby.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 06:52:42 PM »

I know she was part of The Runaways, but I can't even name one of their songs.  Does just being a girl band mean you deserve to be in the Hall of Fame?  Would Jackie Robinson have been nearly as big a deal as he was if he made it to the majors and didn't do well?  I'm not saying all of these people/bands were bad, not at all.  It just seems like it doesn't take much to be considered for the HoF. 
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 07:16:32 PM »

I would imagine there's more than a few famous and influential musicians whose songs many (if not all) of us could not name for the life of us.  I have no issue with Joan being inducted considering the length and output of her career.  She (both alone and with the Blackhearts and the Runaways) created some truly great songs and was one of the first women to create her own record label.  I think the R&H Hall of Fame takes more than just hit making ability into consideration when creating their inductee list.

I have to admit, I myself question many of their selections.  But as I said, everyone has their own opinion.  What I consider worthy could very well be considered ridiculous by someone else...and most likely is.  I think the very concept of a hall of fame is inherently silly because of that fact.

McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 07:19:11 PM »

I completely agree.  It's one of the sillier halls of fame. 
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on September 27, 2011, 02:23:03 PM

The "Rock & Roll" HOF has become a joke in recent years. Its dead to me. When I saw they put in Neil Diamond last year I just died laughing....yes Neil Diamond.

Say what you will about Neil Diamond, but he actually wrote a lot of songs for others, such as Daydream Believer for the Monkees, and I'd consider that part of rock and roll history. As a singer, I'd agree, he's not great, but he did make an impact as a writer.

I quite liked that concert from a few years back. I just saw it recently and it was quite epic.

But I agree, that list is a little thin. I mean, I only recognize a few of them. A few of them I've never heard of before.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 08:22:08 PM by Rumpy » Logged
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 08:48:51 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on September 27, 2011, 08:14:00 PM

Say what you will about Neil Diamond, but he actually wrote a lot of songs for others, such as I'm a Believer for the Monkees

I corrected the song.  And I agree about Diamond.  I'm a huge fan of his.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 09:35:26 PM »

Here's what's so funny/ironic about their typical list of nominees... Any music fan could make a list of 10 deserving acts that have yet to be nominated, and it would be objectively far more representative of a "rock and roll hall of fame" than the pap they nominate year after year.

Oh, and just to make everyone feel old... Nirvana will be eligible in three years.
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 10:47:10 PM »

Quote from: Laner on September 27, 2011, 09:35:26 PM

Oh, and just to make everyone feel old... Nirvana will be eligible in three years.

That does make me feel old.....   Nevermind came out 20 years ago.   
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 11:18:27 PM »

Rush isn't eligible because they are Canadian....right?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 11:26:10 PM »

Quote from: Scuzz on September 27, 2011, 11:18:27 PM

Rush isn't eligible because they are Canadian....right?

I thought it was because they sucked  icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 12:18:08 AM »

While I've long been in the crowd that thinks the R&R Hall of Fame is a joke, it is really good to see that they've nominated Guns 'n' Roses as soon as they've become eligible (Appetite for Destruction was released in 1986).  They are one band that I don't think anyone can make a serious argument against deserving a spot.  They were one of the biggest bands in the world in the late 80s/early 90s and pretty much defined an era of rock music.  Sure, there are a lot of other deserving bands that are still being left out, but at least this is one nomination that has gone to a truly deserving group Headbanging!

The question now is if they'll actually be inducted this year...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 02:05:53 AM »

Quote from: McNutt on September 27, 2011, 08:48:51 PM

Say what you will about Neil Diamond, but he actually wrote a lot of songs for others, such as I'm a Believer for the Monkees

I corrected the song.  And I agree about Diamond.  I'm a huge fan of his.

My mistake on that. Thanks for the correction. I knew it was one or the other smile
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2011, 02:17:14 AM »

Many of the comments in that article are about Rush. For a band that has been around so long, still tours and still has such a rabid fan base to not be in the 'Hall' is pathetic.

And because no discussion about the Hall is complete without this:

« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 02:19:18 AM by Jag » Logged
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2011, 02:45:01 AM »

The complete list:

∑ Beastie Boys  thumbsdown

∑ The Cure  thumbsup

∑ Donovan  thumbsup

∑ Eric B. & Rakim  (who?)

∑ Guns 'N Roses  (eh, sold a lot of product)

∑ Heart  thumbsup

∑ Joan Jett and The Blackhearts   thumbsup (for reasons stated)

∑ Freddie King  thumbsdown (Blues yes. Rock and roll? an influence, I guess)

∑ Laura Nyro   thumbsup (influence female singer/songwriter)

∑ Red Hot Chili Peppers  (sold a lot of product)

∑ Rufus with Chaka Khan (? Know who they are, but...)

∑ The Small Faces/The Faces  thumbsup

∑ The Spinners (if you're around long enough...)

∑ Donna Summer  thumbsup She epitomized disco, which at least got some stale acts off the radio for a while

∑ War  thumbsup Fuckin' A right!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2011, 03:43:44 AM »

Quote from: Jumangi on September 27, 2011, 02:23:03 PM

Say what you will about Neil Diamond, but he actually wrote a lot of songs for others, such as Daydream Believer for the Monkees, and I'd consider that part of rock and roll history. As a singer, I'd agree, he's not great, but he did make an impact as a writer.

I quite liked that concert from a few years back. I just saw it recently and it was quite epic.

Actually, Daydream Believer was composed by John Stewart of Kingston Trio.

Neil Diamond wrote "I'm A Believer". I can see where the mixup is easy though. slywink

Quote from: Wikipedia
Neil Leslie Diamond (born January 24, 1941) is an American singer-songwriter. As a successful pop music performer, Diamond scored a number of hits worldwide in the 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s. According to David Wild, common themes in Diamond's songs are "a deep sense of isolation and an equal desire for connection. A yearning for home Ė and at the same time, the allure of greater freedom. The good, the bad and the ugly about a crazy little thing called love."

As of 2001 Diamond has sold 115 million records worldwide,[1] including 48 million records in the U.S.[2] In terms of Billboard chart success, he is the third most successful Adult Contemporary artist ever, ranking behind only Barbra Streisand and Elton John.[1]

Though his record sales declined somewhat after the 1980s, Diamond continues to tour successfully, and maintains a very loyal fan following. Diamond's songs have been recorded by a vast array of performers from many different musical genres.

Diamond was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1984, and in 2000 he received the Sammy Cahn Lifetime Achievement Award.

On Monday, March 14, 2011, Neil Diamond was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Pretty impressive. More impressive is seeing him live. It's amazing how many of his songs I knew without knowing his music - my GF loves him - she was raised on AM Gold so it comes as no surprise. He's a true showman, that's for sure. Almost 3 hours here in the 'Peg a year or so ago. Not bad for a 70yr old.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2011, 03:47:34 AM »

The Red Hot Chili Peppers have won 7 Grammy Awards. The band has sold over 65 million albums worldwide, charting nine singles in the Top 40 of the Billboard Hot 100 (including three in the Top 10), six number one singles on the Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks chart, and they currently hold the record for most number one singles on the Alternative Songs chart at 12.

Seems ... influential. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2011, 04:24:20 AM »

Most of those seem legitimate nominees based on the relatively low bar they've established, though I agree they keep missing other equally valid choices.  But I think the problem is that their bar is so low.  It's not much of a hall of fame if everyone who had a solid or influential career gets in.  

The bigger issue, though, is that there is no way to define what the standard should be.  You can't go by "stats" like sales or radio success because that misses influential artists who didn't sell that well.  And at the same time people's musical tastes vary so much that how do you say that one point of view on a particular artist is more or less valid then another?  So we end up with this "let almost everyone in" approach that is arguably fair but dilutes the value.  

Of course then there is crap like how they decide which members of a band get inducted when lineups changed over the years.  
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 04:25:55 AM by Sarkus » Logged

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2011, 01:30:51 PM »

Quote from: Jag on September 28, 2011, 02:17:14 AM

Many of the comments in that article are about Rush. For a band that has been around so long, still tours and still has such a rabid fan base to not be in the 'Hall' is pathetic.

And because no discussion about the Hall is complete without this:

problem being that that note was a marketing tool.  never overestimate the integrity of a band that readily admits it's a sellout.   icon_wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: