http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 03:52:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP Richard Dawson  (Read 565 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2012, 12:30:05 AM »

Richard Dawson, the legendary host of "Family Feud," has died from complications due to esophageal cancer ... this according to his son.

Gary Dawson posted a Facebook message early this morning that read:

"It is with a very heavy heart that I inform you that my father passed away this evening from complications due to esophageal cancer. He was surrounded by his family. He was an amazing talent, a loving husband, a great dad, and a doting grandfather. He will be missed but always remembered..."

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 12:54:01 AM »

Who loves you, and who do you love indeed.

RIP Richard.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 02:08:46 AM »

I was just thinking about him the other day when I was reading about the 1979 Family Feud episode that featured descendents of the Hatfields and McCoys competing against each other. I'll always remember him best for Hogans Heroes. I liked his Cpl. Newkirk character better than any of the others in that series.

RIP Richard
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 03:26:20 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on June 04, 2012, 02:08:46 AM

I was just thinking about him the other day when I was reading about the 1979 Family Feud episode that featured descendents of the Hatfields and McCoys competing against each other. I'll always remember him best for Hogans Heroes. I liked his Cpl. Newkirk character better than any of the others in that series.

RIP Richard
I couldn't believe some of the news site obits didn't even mention Hogan's Heroes at all. As Wikipedia describes Newkirk:
Royal Air Force Corporal Peter Newkirk (British-American actor Richard Dawson) is the group's conman, magician, pick-pocket, card shark, forger, bookie, tailor, lock picker, safe cracker and impersonator of German officers (and on one occasion, Winston Churchill, the British Prime Minister during the war); on numerous occasions Newkirk also impersonates women to fool the Germans and help the underground movement. He also is in charge of making uniforms and assisting in distracting the Germans to perform other sabotage. T
Now that's what you call a role, and he was so much fun in it.  icon_smile

My older brother and I had a brief Richard Dawson sighting during a stopover in Hawaii (Wakiki Beach I think) in Summer 1981. We were walking behind this guy in a flowery shirt with what seemed a couple of bodyguards. My brother kept hitting me and saying "That's RICHARD DAWSON!" We didn't have the nerve to ask for an autograph or anything. We did see him look back and it did in fact seem to be him.  icon_smile

He was pretty great as sort of a warped version of himself in the film adaptation of Stephen King's short story The Running Man.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 03:28:57 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 04:15:49 AM »

I remember him most for Hogans Heroes.  I grew up on that show and it was one of my childhood favorites.  RIP Newkirk

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 12:21:52 PM »

Loved him on Hogan's Heroes and Family Fued.

On Match Game, he went from being a jovial regular (along with Brett Somers and Charles Nelson Reilly), the one everyone picked for the final match (and so they had to invent a wheel to make it random) to being kind of a surly dick.  Yeah, he was unhappy with the producers for some reason, but you don't take it out on the audience or the contestants.

But he turned that around when he left for the Feud.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 12:46:43 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 04, 2012, 12:21:52 PM

On Match Game, he went from being a jovial regular (along with Brett Somers and Charles Nelson Reilly), the one everyone picked for the final match (and so they had to invent a wheel to make it random) to being kind of a surly dick.  Yeah, he was unhappy with the producers for some reason, but you don't take it out on the audience or the contestants.

He resented the producers for adding the wheel.  IIRC, he even made some snide comments about it soon after it was introduced.  I can understand that, as it did seem like a slap in the face.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 01:54:25 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on June 04, 2012, 12:46:43 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 04, 2012, 12:21:52 PM

He resented the producers for adding the wheel.  IIRC, he even made some snide comments about it soon after it was introduced.  I can understand that, as it did seem like a slap in the face.

But not having it was a slap in the face to every other celebrity on the show.  It also made the contestants feel awkward for ignoring everyone else.  Regardless, he acted like a spoiled brat on the air.  Behind the scenes?  Fine, go for it.  Holding the card up in front of your face during the credits and not showing any interest in being there is not cool at all.

At one point, someone in the audience screamed out for him to smile and he wouldn't do it.

I don't mean to harp, as I actually like him and was sad to hear of his death, but this was definitely a low point.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 03:59:24 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on June 04, 2012, 04:15:49 AM

I remember him most for Hogans Heroes.  I grew up on that show and it was one of my childhood favorites.  RIP Newkirk

Agreed. I hated Family Feud and loved it when Arnold got even in Running Man.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 08:42:16 PM »

Blue's pointed this out:

Richard Dawson: Three great 'Family Feud' moments
http://tv.yahoo.com/news/richard-dawson--three-great--family-feud--moments--video-.html
As a kid, I loved his interactions on Family Feud.  icon_smile Don't ask me how I felt about it as an adult, I never really got into game shows later on.

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: