http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 12:54:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP Gary Carter  (Read 500 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2012, 02:21:33 AM »

Mets fans have suffered through a lot of the worst teams money can buy, but we'll always have 1986.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 03:23:20 AM »

loved me some Carter.   when i had read about the tumors coming back last month, i feared this news   icon_frown

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 03:32:10 AM »

I grew up an Expos fan.

This is sad.  icon_cry

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 06:54:18 AM »

Oh, I was thinking of Gary Coleman and was going to say I thought he died a while ago.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 01:44:28 PM »

AP has a nice obit with many comments from his former teammates and coaches/managers:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/hall-of-fame-catcher-gary-carter-whose-smile-personality-made-him-a-joy-to-watch-dead-at-57/2012/02/17/gIQAXzSJJR_story.html

Malignant brain tumors are just nasty.  icon_frown I keep hoping technology will make terminal diagnoses of those a thing of the past, but we're not there yet.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 02:48:13 PM »

Carter always seemed to be a generously happy guy. Sorta teammate everyone loves to have around. Still bothers me this morning to read the stories. Sucks when your childhood heros pass on. Obviously way too young for "the kid".

Thanks for the memories Gary and may you now rest in peace  icon_frown

Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 06:34:35 PM »

This one really hits home for me. When I was 10 years old, I lived in the suburbs outside of Montreal. I was over at one of my schoolmate's house and he mentioned that his neighbor was a baseball player. At the time I was just getting interested in baseball and I was becoming a fan of the Montreal Expos. Anyhow, my friend asked me if I knew who Gary Carter was. I knew that he was the catcher for the Expos so I asked if we could meet him. We went over, knocked and lo and behold, Gary Carter opened the front door. I guess he recognized my friend, said hi to both of us and asked how we were doing. He had a smile on his face and was incredibly gracious to us. For all we knew, we could have been interrupting something he was doing. He asked me if I would like an autograph, I said 'yes', and he went back into his house and came back a minute later with a picture of him that he signed for me. I still have that picture in my desk today, in pristine condition.

He was my favorite player growing up. Broke my heart when he got traded to the Mets, but I still followed him and I was excited to see him win a championship in New York. Years later in 1990, at the end of his baseball career, he spent a season with the SF Giants. I live in the bay area and that season I made sure to go see him play. Clearly he was no longer the player he once was, but he was still my guy.

I heard months ago that he had cancer and I knew this day would come, but it still makes me incredibly sad to know that he passed on at only age 57. I know today it may seem stupid to idolize pro sports players in this day and age of prima donnas and overpaid athletes, but today's athletes can learn a thing or two from Gary Carter.

Rest in peace Gary. Wherever you are, I know you've got that big kid smile on your face.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 07:53:23 PM »

From everything I've heard on sports talk radio this week, Carter was about as nice a guy as had ever played pro sports.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 09:42:55 PM »

Very nice photo essay at NY Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2012/02/16/sports/baseball/GaryCarterObit.html

And teammates remember him:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/17/sports/baseball/gary-carters-teammates-and-manager-recall-kid.html?ref=sports

And I love one particular mention:
Warthen said he loved throwing to Carter because he knew hitters and how to get them out. He also said Carter helped pitchers by constantly chattering to hitters.

“He would drive them crazy,” Warthen said. “They would tell him to shut up, but he would be asking them about their families or complimenting the umpire or talking about the pitcher. They would go nuts.”
icon_smile
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 09:46:52 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 10:14:14 PM »

i hear you Jimmy, not alot "if any" Carter type professional athletes around these days.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: