http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 09:01:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP Blockbuster  (Read 547 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 06, 2013, 07:00:26 PM »

Was only a matter time but still sad to see them finally close the last doors.

DISH Network Corporation today announced that its subsidiary, Blockbuster L.L.C., will end its retail and by mail DVD distribution operations by early-January 2014. The company will close its approximately 300 remaining U.S.-based retail stores, as well as its distribution centers.

"This is not an easy decision, yet consumer demand is clearly moving to digital distribution of video entertainment," said Joseph P. Clayton, DISH president and chief executive officer. "Despite our closing of the physical distribution elements of the business, we continue to see value in the Blockbuster brand, and we expect to leverage that brand as we continue to expand our digital offerings."

The Blockbuster By Mail service will end mid-December and will serve existing customers until that time.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=111077

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 08:24:33 PM »

I honestly thought they had gone completely out of business a couple years ago.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 09:02:05 PM »

When Netflix had their fiasco, Blockbuster had a pretty good thing going with the combined in mail and in store movie distribution.  Unfortunately they kept closing stores and that eliminated the in store part for most people.  It was great to be able to walk into a blockbuster an grab a brand new release instead of hoping that you got lucky and received it through the mail in any reasonable amount of time.  Once they closed down the Blockbusters near me and I lost that convenience, I found that it generally took months to get a copy of a new release, in the mail.  I dumped them soon after.  Not surprised by the shutdown, at all.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 11:34:10 PM »

So looks like Redbox has pretty much cornered the market for physical disc rental. Whatever is left of it at least.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 04:11:40 AM »

As much as I'm all for the move towards digital media, and support it whenever possible, it is a little sad to see the old ways go. Part of the fun of renting a movie used to be the thrill of the hunt - going to the video store and hoping that hot new release was in, searching desperately through the return stacks, or just simply browing the aisles looking at covers to find some hidden gem. Yes, I know I'm just being nostalgic - driving to the store and remembering to return stuff was a pain in the ass - but instant gratification does have its downsides. I think you value things less when you can just have them with no effort, and as a movie lover it sometimes makes me feel like I lose a bit of the appreciation/excitement of watching a new film unless I'm seeing it in the theater.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 04:21:08 AM »

Yeah you're definitely being nostalgic. Good riddance to all of that.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 04:58:40 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on November 07, 2013, 04:11:40 AM

As much as I'm all for the move towards digital media, and support it whenever possible, it is a little sad to see the old ways go. Part of the fun of renting a movie used to be the thrill of the hunt - going to the video store and hoping that hot new release was in, searching desperately through the return stacks, or just simply browing the aisles looking at covers to find some hidden gem. Yes, I know I'm just being nostalgic - driving to the store and remembering to return stuff was a pain in the ass - but instant gratification does have its downsides. I think you value things less when you can just have them with no effort, and as a movie lover it sometimes makes me feel like I lose a bit of the appreciation/excitement of watching a new film unless I'm seeing it in the theater.
While I've fully embraced all the digital stuff today (Netflix, catching up on missed TV via smartphone/tablet apps, Steam, buying books online etc.), I do miss wandering around book stores (Barnes & Noble hangs by a thread), videogame stores, etc. I did now and then have fun conversations with people interested in the same things at those stores. A date 25 years ago might've been dinner and wandering around a video store chatting about what movie to watch. Over a computer or your Netflix menu, not quite the same thing.

I guess a cynic would say we're well on our way as a society to becoming the humans in Pixar's Wall-E, which is to say a bunch of pasty, obese, anti-social, slobbering know-nothings plugged into everything, ranting about everything on 149 different social media/social blabbering avenues, yet knowing nothing because we never leave our easy chair or computer to go out and face the day.

But since I've well become and embraced that sort of thing myself, I won't be a hypocrite and say it myself.  icon_smile

And plenty of youngsters including many here probably grew up with online everything and don't see physical stores as anything but a nuisance. So be it. They'll get old some day, and whatever becomes the Next Big Way of Doing things will make them look like the Luddites then.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 05:10:28 AM »

One of my most hated companies.  Good riddance to bad rubbish.

*spit*
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 08:02:50 PM »

Yeah I get what YK mentions about it being kinda fun to snag a new release on the day or release. Or if your looking for a new release and don't find it on the shelves you could do the trick where you go back to the returns area and see if its waiting to be returned. Always felt good when you snagged a new release return before it made it back on the shelves.

I do not miss the late fees however. Sometimes you get home and see that blue plastic box sitting there, know you should get in the car and return it, but despair and say fuck it and get charged another day.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 08:09:43 PM »

Quote from: gellar on November 07, 2013, 04:21:08 AM

Ayup. Hated meandering around and finding that everything with potential was already gone.  Used to waste a lot of time on that.

Find something that might be good. Call wife. Want to see it? No. Do they have x? Wander to other side of store. Yeah but it looks dumb. What about y? nahhh. See if they have z. Meander to other side of store...

TheEgoWhip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 09:06:45 PM »

When your corporate strategy is to do what your rivals were doing 5 years ago, it will usually end in failure.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 09:11:21 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 07, 2013, 04:58:40 AM

Quote from: YellowKing on November 07, 2013, 04:11:40 AM

While I've fully embraced all the digital stuff today (Netflix, catching up on missed TV via smartphone/tablet apps, Steam, buying books online etc.), I do miss wandering around book stores (Barnes & Noble hangs by a thread), videogame stores, etc. I did now and then have fun conversations with people interested in the same things at those stores. A date 25 years ago might've been dinner and wandering around a video store chatting about what movie to watch. Over a computer or your Netflix menu, not quite the same thing.

I guess a cynic would say we're well on our way as a society to becoming the humans in Pixar's Wall-E, which is to say a bunch of pasty, obese, anti-social, slobbering know-nothings plugged into everything, ranting about everything on 149 different social media/social blabbering avenues, yet knowing nothing because we never leave our easy chair or computer to go out and face the day.

But since I've well become and embraced that sort of thing myself, I won't be a hypocrite and say it myself.  icon_smile

And plenty of youngsters including many here probably grew up with online everything and don't see physical stores as anything but a nuisance. So be it. They'll get old some day, and whatever becomes the Next Big Way of Doing things will make them look like the Luddites then.  icon_razz

not only that, but with the right blender, you can prepare all of your meals like they did in the movie, not that I've done that or anything.   ninja

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 05:38:47 PM »

Went in Best Buy for the first time in years last night.

That's a place I want to go out of business.

I just hate it so much.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 05:46:26 PM »

Quote from: ATB on November 08, 2013, 05:38:47 PM

I just hate it so much.

Really?  For me it always felt on par or even slightly less evil than other big box stores.  Anything in particular drive you nuts about it?
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 05:53:42 PM »

Really?  For me it always felt on par or even slightly less evil than other big box stores.  Anything in particular drive you nuts about it?

I love Best Buy. Where else am I going to go look at stuff before I buy it on NewEgg?  icon_twisted
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 07:23:02 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 08, 2013, 05:46:26 PM

I just hate it so much.

Clueless staff. Terrible customer service. to name two...

They've reduced their return policy to 15 days to boot.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2013, 07:49:19 PM »

Quote from: ATB on November 08, 2013, 07:23:02 PM

I just hate it so much.

I wouldn't mind clueless, aloof staff but Best Buy seems to have hyper aggressive, yet totally useless people working there.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2013, 08:02:02 PM »

I'm surprised it took this long, as I've seen a few Blockbusters still surviving in my region wondering how they're still going.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2013, 08:33:21 PM »

Quote from: ATB on November 08, 2013, 07:23:02 PM

I just hate it so much.

They've reduced their return policy to 15 days to boot.

I've had bad experiences at one location but it's very much a specific store.  the others that I've been to have been ok.  and generally, if you don't need help you can avoid most of the idiocy. 

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2013, 10:29:21 PM »

Quote from: gellar on November 07, 2013, 04:21:08 AM

Worst part of those DVD rentals is rewinding them. Took FOREVER. Had to use scene RW, there was no stopped RW.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2013, 01:14:33 AM »

Dumbass - you should have bought a DVD Rewinder.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: