http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 06:04:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP Andy Griffith  (Read 458 times)
Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 03, 2012, 02:29:10 PM »

http://todayentertainment.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/03/12543460-americas-sheriff-andy-griffith-dead-at-86?lite%C2%A0

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 02:53:30 PM »

I rarely posted in RIP threads like these, but I can't let this one pass.  Andy Griffith was a big part of my TV experience growing up between reruns of The Andy Griffith Show and never missing an episode of Matlock.  While he has been out of the spotlight for a while now, I will always have fond memories.

Godspeed in your next journey Andy Griffith.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 03:19:03 PM »

I just yesterday read his comments when George "Goober" Lindsay died and was thinking, "My God, this man has staying power."

Do yourself a favor and watch A Face in the Crowd this week, if you haven't already seen it.  A pre-Andy Griffith Show performance that's like nothing you've seen him do.  Plus a fantastic movie.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 05:15:01 PM »

Andy, you'll be missed.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 05:17:03 PM »

icon_frown

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 07:27:44 PM »

At least we'll always have Opie.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 11:34:55 PM »

When I was a kid, I watched the Andy Griffith Show and thought it was stupid and boring. I got a little older and started to appreciate it for its kindness, warmth, wit and intelligence. If that's what the man was like (and by all accounts he was), he'll be sorely missed.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 04:02:31 PM »

If you've never heard it: What it Was, Was Football.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 06:27:04 PM »

The Wash. Post entertainment columnist mentioned this during a chat today:
Turner Classic Movies will air an Andy Griffith tribute on July 18 and the lineup is a good one. Do not miss "A Face in the Crowd" if you've never seen it. It's a whole different side of Griffith -- directed by Elia Kazan. It's at 8 that night. They're also showing "No Time for Sergeants," etc...

Meanwhile, TV Land has scheduled an "Andy Griffith Show" marathon this weekend.
Alas, I'm on basic analog cable and Cox in its infinite wisdom took TCM away from us a couple years ago.  disgust

A good TV movie to dig up if you want to see the darker side of Griffith is...
Savages (no relation to this weekend's Oliver Stone movie; this 1974 movie was based on a novel called Deathwatch)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072116/plotsummary
Quote from: Wikipedia
A successful Los Angeles lawyer and hunter, Madec, (Andy Griffith) receives a rare permit to hunt Bighorn Sheep in the nearby Mojave Desert. He hires a timid college student named Ben (Sam Bottoms), who will drive him into the desert with his Jeep CJ and help show Madec where the bighorn are. Ben is studying to be a geologist, so therefore he knows the desert very well.

After accidentally shooting an old prospector with his Winchester Model 70 rifle and trying to cover it up, Ben argues that the honest thing to do would be for the two of them to report the accidental shot, but Madec is too important to sit in jail. It is then that Madec decides to eliminate the only witness to the crime, Ben. Madec forces Ben to strip down to nothing but his shorts at gunpoint.

Madec decides that this will be easy, because he will not have killed Ben himself, and he will make up a story saying that the two became separated, Ben went crazy, tore off all his clothes and died within a matter of hours due to dehydration and heat. Ben sees this as an opportunity to walk forty five miles to the nearest highway.

But Madec won't let this accidental kill destroy his career, so he is watching him the whole way and aiming at him with his powerful rifle. The rifle's power shows as the old prospector's lungs are blown out of his back. After trying to climb a butte, Ben is shot by Madec causing him to fall giving him back injuries. Time is running out as he begins to hallucinate. Suffering from dehydration, hunger, sunburn, and gunshot wounds, Ben needs to find, food, water, shelter, and a weapon to stop Madec and save himself.
I remember my brother and I watching this on TV when it premiered in 1974. It has a a cool ending:
Spoiler for Hiden:
As I remember it, Madec (Griffith) hides the rifle used in killing the prospector in a main gas tank filling line at the station where Ben works. Just when it looks like Madec is going to get off scott-free (no evidence), Ben figures out where the rifle is hidden and fishes it out in view of the sheriff.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 06:36:05 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: