http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 07:42:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ring Ring...Hoooonnnnnkkkk...you've won a luxury vacation...  (Read 1346 times)
QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2008, 01:21:53 PM »

Keep getting these frakking calls, you pick up the phone hear a ship horn, and you're told you've won a cruise.

Just have to do a survey, so I zeroed through all the options, got an operator, and asked one or two questions before giving my name...click they hung up.

*69 reveals a number of 000-000-0000

Anyone familiar with this annoyance?  I'm assuming there's no free cruise (actually my wife got suckered into doing the survey, and at the last step it just hung up instead of connecting to any operator).  I was going to give them a very misspelled version of my name, but they hung up after me asking "is this legitimate".

-QP
Currently Playing:
[PC]Oblivion Again (OOO this time)
Austin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 01:26:29 PM »

Quote from: QP on April 11, 2008, 01:21:53 PM

(actually my wife got suckered into doing the survey, and at the last step it just hung up instead of connecting to any operator).

OMG phwned!
QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 01:54:51 PM »

Quote from: Austin on April 11, 2008, 01:26:29 PM

Quote from: QP on April 11, 2008, 01:21:53 PM

(actually my wife got suckered into doing the survey, and at the last step it just hung up instead of connecting to any operator).

OMG phwned!

I see what you did there Tongue

-QP
Currently Playing:
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 02:40:59 PM »

I've been getting one at work where it's just a guy saying to call this number to talk to him about incredible loans with no option to hit a number to get on their no call list.  Next time I get it I'm going to write down the number and then post it at different places, like men's bathrooms and certain Craigslist listings...

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 02:42:59 PM »

I have every single one of my phone numbers signed up with the government's Do Not Call List, and it's been pretty effective.  Have you given that a try?
QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 02:43:54 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on April 11, 2008, 02:42:59 PM

I have every single one of my phone numbers signed up with the government's Do Not Call List, and it's been pretty effective.  Have you given that a try?

Unfortunately Canada is a bit behind the times on this idea!

-QP
Currently Playing:
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 02:52:43 PM »

Quote from: QP on April 11, 2008, 02:43:54 PM

My bad, dawg...Didn't realize you lived up north...write to your government representatives aboot it.

Sorry, I couldn't resist...  biggrin
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 03:07:40 PM »

QP, if it's a recording, just hang up right away.  If it's a live person, ask to be removed from their call list.  Most will give you a confirmation number.  Never, ever show any interest or answer their questions (even with fake answers) since you'll likely be flagged as interested, and your number may get sold to other marketers.  I also live in the great white north, and after a month or two of this I cut my telemarketing calls down to about one every three months.

The other entertaining option that my former roommate used was to just start screaming like crazy until they hung up.  Used to scare the crap out of me.  Iíd hear him pick up the phone, give a polite hello, and then start screaming at the top of his lungs hysterically.  His goal was to rupture the ear drums of the poor telemarketer.  Certainly seemed to end the calls quickly and prevent them from calling back. biggrin

16-bit and loving it!
QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 03:25:42 PM »

I was actually thinking of finding something (maybe using Asterix) that would intercept all calls and have a message to type in 99 or something to talk (along with a message for telemarketers)...could even do fancy stuff after that, but the basic idea is prove you're at least a human before my phone rings (once the phone rings the damage is done).

Also need a tiger trap for energy salesmen...

-QP
Currently Playing:
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 05:30:56 PM »

Quote from: QP on April 11, 2008, 03:25:42 PM

Also need a tiger trap for energy salesmen...

I have a magic rock that keeps tigers away.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 09:02:14 PM »

Quote from: QP on April 11, 2008, 02:43:54 PM

Quote from: rickfc on April 11, 2008, 02:42:59 PM

Actually there is one. The law is that any telemarker can't call you beyond a certain hour, and not at dinner hour. If you catch them doing so, you can ask them to put you on their Do No Call List. It works as my Mom had a call center call constantly, multiple times of day, and I convinced her after reading some official documents online, to tell them to shove it and be put on the do not call list, and they stopped. If they don't abide by your request, it's grounds for termination, and you can use that as a threat.

You can also check this site out which is pretty comprehensive:

http://ioptout.ca/
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 09:05:18 PM by Rumpy » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 10:28:12 PM »

Quote from: Windows95 on April 11, 2008, 03:07:40 PM

The other entertaining option that my former roommate used was to just start screaming like crazy until they hung up.  Used to scare the crap out of me.  Iíd hear him pick up the phone, give a polite hello, and then start screaming at the top of his lungs hysterically.  His goal was to rupture the ear drums of the poor telemarketer.  Certainly seemed to end the calls quickly and prevent them from calling back. biggrin

My pharmacist during his college years would use an air horn to the same effect (and reasons).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
pengoz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 01:04:22 AM »

is voip not a big thing in the usa/canada?

Can't say I have the same problem here in Australia. Tho I don't have a phone plugged into the phone line, just used for adsl. Any voice calls are done via voip or a mobile phone (cell for you yanks).
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 06:38:50 AM »

Quote from: pengoz on April 13, 2008, 01:04:22 AM

is voip not a big thing in the usa/canada?

Can't say I have the same problem here in Australia. Tho I don't have a phone plugged into the phone line, just used for adsl. Any voice calls are done via voip or a mobile phone (cell for you yanks).

It's here in the US, but not exactly huge. See programs like Skype for an example as to what software can do nowadays. Most utilities here require that you have a 'real' standard phone line in order for you to get service.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 08:15:28 PM »

Yep, I get phone service through my cable company for instance, but it still uses a normal phone line. And it doesn't exactly help with the marketing calls.

Btw, since we're on the topic of VoiP. Has anyone tried this? Seems quite promising.

http://www.magicjack.com/1/index.asp

An article about it here:

http://windowssecrets.com/comp/071213#story1
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 12:37:52 AM »

Quote from: Rumpy on April 13, 2008, 08:15:28 PM

Yep, I get phone service through my cable company for instance, but it still uses a normal phone line. And it doesn't exactly help with the marketing calls.

Btw, since we're on the topic of VoiP. Has anyone tried this? Seems quite promising.

Sheesh, does sound too good to be true. Anyone take the plunge and checked this out?

XBL gamertag: jztemple
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 03:12:13 AM »

Quote from: Roscoe on April 14, 2008, 12:37:52 AM

Sheesh, does sound too good to be true. Anyone take the plunge and checked this out?

I have a friend who I am pretty sure either switched to this or switched and witched back as it didn't work as intended.  I'll drop him an email in the morning.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 11:56:03 AM »

A combination of using only a cell phone (which telemarketers shouldn't be calling) and being on the national do not call list means I hardly get any calls.

However I do get calls from two annoying sources.  First, the Red Cross.  I donate when I can, but the last few times we've set up an appointment to donate, we wound up waiting over an hour while walk-ins were being taken.  We decided never to make appointments again.  Red Cross calls me constantly to donate, but haven't figured out that I moved across the state (even though I told them), so keep wanting me to donate in my old town.  Next time they call, I'm going to say I recently got a tattoo in Africa.

The most annoying one is Sprint, my cell provider.  They keep calling with offers to add another line.  I don't answer my phone if I see an 800#, but I call it back.  When I do, I get a recording saying why they called, and the option to press 6 to not get more calls or 7 to sign up.  I think my 6 key must be busted, because no matter how many times I hit it, they keep calling back.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 01:36:03 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on April 14, 2008, 11:56:03 AM

The most annoying one is Sprint, my cell provider.  They keep calling with offers to add another line.  I don't answer my phone if I see an 800#, but I call it back.  When I do, I get a recording saying why they called, and the option to press 6 to not get more calls or 7 to sign up.  I think my 6 key must be busted, because no matter how many times I hit it, they keep calling back.

Strange - Sprint hasn't called me, well, ever, and I've been with them for like 3 years now.

Thank the Gods for the one thing that the government did right - the Do Not Call list really does work, and works wonderfully. I haven't gotten a call that would fall into what its supposed to block in...frankly, I've forgotten.

Austin

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 07:34:39 PM »

Quote from: Austin on April 14, 2008, 03:12:13 AM

Quote from: Roscoe on April 14, 2008, 12:37:52 AM

I have a friend who I am pretty sure either switched to this or switched and witched back as it didn't work as intended.  I'll drop him an email in the morning.

Here is my conversation with my friend regarding this device.

Quote from: Austin
It went quite well.  Kyle went a bit over so I was cramped for time but I always have an irrational fear of running out of content anyway so that removes some pressure.  I think it set the stage for some future classes.  Oh yeah, before I forget - did you wind up using that little phone thing?  Vague yeah but you know what I mean.  That  Voip deal with the little device that does the thing.  slywink  I thought you had switched but I couldn't recall if you switched and switched back.  Someone was asking about it and I was pretty sure you had used it... magic something?

This email is brought to you by the letter 'S' and the number 12.

Quote from: Friend
Magic Jack.  I have it at home.  As far as I can tell it works pretty well, and its dirt cheap.  The problem is there are no NC area codes available.  Iím just waiting for them to add NC area codes.  I currently have it set up for a number in my parents area code but I donít even have it hooked up so I guess it might be difficult for them to call.

Have you considered a career as an author or technical writer?  Your description of the product was truly inspired, like Shakespeare for VOIP.  J

Have you watched the Office yet?

If youíre bored, here is a link to free audio books of old stuff (e.g. Beowulf) .

http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/categories/1
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2008, 08:57:33 PM »

Yeah, it's still in beta, so I'm sure they'll expand their coverage as it goes.  I know that while service is available for Canada, that you can't have a Canadian number because those aren't available yet, for instance.

Thanks for looking into it, Austin.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: