http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 01:07:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reminder: Battlestar Galactica Season 2.5 DVD to be released Tuesday  (Read 1373 times)
jblank
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« on: September 15, 2006, 02:02:42 PM »

We're really getting close to the start of season 3 (yippee) but the second half of season 2 is released this coming Tuesday! Good stuff awaits!

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 02:16:44 PM »

I've been meaning to ask when this is coming.  Thanks for the reminder.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 03:50:15 PM »

I just finished watching the first half of season 2, but I put off watching 'Pegasus' as I understand 2.5 contains the extended version.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 04:22:14 PM »

For what it's worth, SciFi is airing at least most of season 2 in a marathon on Tueday as well.  My TiVo is set to go!

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 04:56:52 PM »

Oh man, looking forward to watching the second half of season 2 again.  The last 3 or 4 episodes of the season were great.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 06:29:54 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 15, 2006, 03:50:15 PM

I just finished watching the first half of season 2, but I put off watching 'Pegasus' as I understand 2.5 contains the extended version.

That would be correct.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 07:17:33 PM »

Still haven't watched any of this show yet, often to the derision of many friends.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 11:25:22 PM »

Isn't it kinda a huge huge ripoff that SciFi does these in half releases and charges a good chunk of money for them? Doesn't anyone else think thats kind of bullshit?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2006, 11:36:17 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on September 15, 2006, 11:25:22 PM

Isn't it kinda a huge huge ripoff that SciFi does these in half releases and charges a good chunk of money for them? Doesn't anyone else think thats kind of bullshit?

Not really.  Typical cable seasons are 13 episodes, so 10 episode sets aren't *that* far off of the mark and they still end up much, much cheaper than, say, HBO charges for their season sets.  And, more importantly, since they split up the actual airing of the second season, split DVD sets allows room for people to catch up with the series between each batch. 

I'll be interested in seeing what Sci-Fi does for Season 3 though since, from what I understand, they aren't splitting the airing outside of a couple week hiatus over the holidays.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2006, 04:37:06 AM »

The wife and I have been anxiously awaiting this release.  If the wife doesn't pick it up Tuesday I'll definitely be grabbing it Thursday.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 11:39:19 AM »

Most of season 2 on tuesday? Considering my days off are monday and tuesday I'll have to call it a "day in" tuesday and kick back and catch up season 2, hopefully they do a back to back thing like A&E used to do on 24. (They'd play all the way from first episode to the last - non stop.)

I dont particularly like how they split up season 2 like that either, especially when so many other seasons are just as big (24 for example) and still come in just one box set.
I'm not sure whether they wanted to cash in on it all, or maybe they were met with some time restraints and did what they thought was right.

However you look at it though it's still a great TV show, and while I definitely think season 2 should have been one box set, I had no problem buying season 1 and season 2.5 as it's one of the very few TV shows I was able to actually sit back and enjoy.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2006, 12:43:50 PM »

Looking at Scifi.com's TV schedule starting at 8am they're airing 10 episodes until 6PM.. but I have no idea if they are the ones from 2.5 or not, hopefully they're not just bouncing them around in any random order though. Anyone know for sure?

Here's the list in the order they're airing:

08:00 AM BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (SEASON 2) FRAGGED   
09:00 AM BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (SEASON 2) RESISTANCE   
10:00 AM BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (SEASON 2) THE FARM   
11:00 AM BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (SEASON 2) HOME - PT 1   
12:00 PM BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (SEASON 2) HOME - PT 2   
01:00 PM BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (SEASON 2) FINAL CUT   
02:00 PM BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (SEASON 2) FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX   
03:00 PM BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (SEASON 2) PEGASUS   
04:00 PM BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (SEASON 2) RESURRECTION SHIP - PT 1   
05:00 PM BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (SEASON 2) RESURRECTION SHIP - PT 2   
06:00 PM BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (SEASON 2) EPIPHANIES   

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2006, 12:59:43 PM »

corruptrelic- they are in order but most of them are from Season 2.0.  Only the last three (Res Ship 1&2 and Epiphanies) are from 2.5.
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2006, 05:04:37 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on September 15, 2006, 07:17:33 PM

Still haven't watched any of this show yet, often to the derision of many friends.

Me neither - maily because the season one box set is so freakin' overpriced.    mad
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2006, 10:16:09 PM »

Quote from: Exodor on September 18, 2006, 05:04:37 PM

Me neither - maily because the season one box set is so freakin' overpriced.    mad

It is?

http://www.amazon.com/Battlestar-Galactica-Edward-James-Olmos/dp/B000AJJNFE/sr=1-2/qid=1158617706/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-4852968-1458543?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

$45.00 for what I believe is some of the best TV ever, isn't bad at all. It's a full season and thats well in line with what other TV seasons cost and less than what HBO offers.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2006, 12:52:01 AM »

Quote from: jblank on September 18, 2006, 10:16:09 PM

Plus you get the mini-series too in that set if you didn't already buy the single release. 

It is?

http://www.amazon.com/Battlestar-Galactica-Edward-James-Olmos/dp/B000AJJNFE/sr=1-2/qid=1158617706/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-4852968-1458543?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

$45.00 for what I believe is some of the best TV ever, isn't bad at all. It's a full season and thats well in line with what other TV seasons cost and less than what HBO offers.

Plus you get the miniseries in that set too which is nice if you didn't buy the single release. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2006, 01:23:46 AM »

I hear the single release of the mini series has extras that were not included in the season 1 boxed set.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2006, 04:04:12 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 19, 2006, 12:52:01 AM

Quote from: jblank on September 18, 2006, 10:16:09 PM

Plus you get the mini-series too in that set if you didn't already buy the single release. 

It is?

Plus you get the miniseries in that set too which is nice if you didn't buy the single release. 
No, I think this is a decent price. I think charging twice for two half seasons is overpriced and ridiculous though. Based on the strength of the miniseries I am very strongly considering picking season 1 up.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2006, 05:30:06 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on September 19, 2006, 04:04:12 AM

No, I think this is a decent price. I think charging twice for two half seasons is overpriced and ridiculous though. Based on the strength of the miniseries I am very strongly considering picking season 1 up.

But the issue is- what constitutes a season?  For the major networks, Seasons are typically 22 episodes.  However, the vast majority of cable shows are 13 episodes or less per season.  So a 10-episode "half season" of BG isn't really much different in terms of content vs price of other shows like The Shield or Rescue Me and is dramatically cheaper than a 13 episode season of an HBO series. 

Really, if Sci-Fi had just called them Season 2 and 3 instead of 2.0 and 2.5, I don't think you'd see many comments about it at all. 
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2006, 12:23:19 PM »

I've gotten around the price of the series just by doing it through Netflix...  (I bought way too many TV series over time that I simply never watched again, and decided I would not buy any again). 

So far, with one episode to go in season one (stupid break points in the DVD set) I am liking this series a LOT.  I'd recommend borrowing it or joining Netflix for a month or two for those who are also in the 'don't want to buy it' camp.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2006, 12:54:41 PM »

Today is the day, right?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2006, 01:45:23 AM »

Quote from: Lockdown on September 19, 2006, 12:54:41 PM

Today is the day, right?

Whatever day she wants.  nod

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2006, 05:35:37 PM »

So... how is/was the extended version of Pegasus?  Without giving too much away, was it noticably different?

Man, I need to go try and find 2.5 before the weekend hits.

LD

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2006, 10:31:10 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on September 20, 2006, 05:35:37 PM

So... how is/was the extended version of Pegasus?  Without giving too much away, was it noticably different?

Man, I need to go try and find 2.5 before the weekend hits.

It is AWESOME. MUCH better, much more detailed, my friend its like watching it over again for the first time, the same feeling.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2006, 04:06:28 PM »

Excellent.  I can't wait to see it.

By the way... what is this "Resistance" thing I keep hearing about?  Is it like a preview of the next season, or like a short film, or like a bridge between seasons, or what? 

I are confused.

Oh, and look....  It's Grace and Tricia on cylon motorscooter thingies...

[attachment deleted by admin]

LD

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2006, 04:17:24 PM »

Resistance is a series of shorts (and I do mean short) available on scifi.com, that detail some of the backstory, and thus gap bridging, between the end of season 2 and the start of season 3. Is it required viewing? Nah. Are they entertaining? Eh, sort of. Some are better than others, but they are REALLY short, vague, and certainly not something that if you miss you will regret later.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2006, 04:47:32 PM »

OK.  That's good to know, cause that was going to be my next question if it was some sort of bridge thing.  If I never get around to watching them, I won't be lost on plot for season 3 or something.  Otherwise I would take the time to track them down and watch them.

Thanks.

LD

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2006, 07:38:10 PM »

Bought it. Watched it.  Loved it.

Now on to the next episode.

LD

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2006, 09:56:50 PM »

This seems to be standard for sci-fi shows it seems. I've regularly seen seasons of shows like Star Trek and Babylon 5 on the shelf for up to $70 when shows like 24 are $40 for a season. Think they feel sci-fi geeks will spend more.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2006, 10:07:50 PM »

Well, ad revenue on these shows is kinda lower since the tv audience isn't as high as other shows.  They have to make it up in DVD sales, which their audiences are more likely to buy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: