http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 11:45:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remake-VIDEODROME  (Read 392 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2012, 08:41:55 AM »

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/57825

David Cronenberg's VIDEODROME was released theatrically on February 4, 1983. It was outgrossed in the U.S. by Peter Greenaway's THE DRAUGHTSMAN'S CONTRACT. The film has since acquired a cult following, but it remains virtually unknown by mainstream moviegoers. When I wear my "Civic TV" t-shirt in public, hardcore cinephiles don't always catch the reference. VIDEODROME is many things: brilliant, prescient, one of Cronenberg's best films. It is not a brand.

But Universal, the studio that thought it would be a fine idea to make a prequel to one of the biggest bombs of 1982 (John Carpenter's THE THING), is once again going to the flop well because they're petrified by original ideas. And they've hired an unproven commercial director (which worked so well for them on THE 47 RONIN) and a guy who once accidentally wrote an above-average screenplay to update it.

According to Deadline's Michael Fleming, Ehren Kruger (who will write the film) and producer Daniel Bobker plan to "modernize" Cronenberg's film by addressing nano-technology. They also want to turn it into a "large-scale sci-fi action thriller". Um, Universal? Have you looked at the box office for the TOTAL RECALL remake? That was actually a hit in its original incarnation.

I can't even remember Videodrome,time to rewatch it i think

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 01:44:53 PM »

nobody should even attempt remaking Cronenberg. This one is a personal favorite of mine and pairs well with his film eXistenZ
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 06:06:12 PM »

I think Videodrome is on Netflix streaming. At least I tried watching it many months ago and just couldn't get through it. I know I've sat through the movie before but the only thing I had recalled about it was the sense of confusion.
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 07:21:43 PM »

Great movie but no one but Cronenberg should even attempt to remake it.  There's no "formula" to it, so they'd be lost.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 02:49:44 PM »

As a guy on Twitter said, "Isn't remaking Videodrome proving the point of Videodrome?"

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: