http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 09:55:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Regular TiVo w/DirecTV and DirecTV HD Reciever Question  (Read 479 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« on: September 10, 2006, 08:07:14 PM »

OK guys, two simple questions: can you use a regular TIVO with DirectTV? And secondly, can the HD Reciever be used as a regular reciever? Someone I know says yes, but I need to make sure because I won't have an HDTV for another month or two but I will have DirectTV in a few days and want to make sure there is no issue with this. The directtv lady told me it would work just fine, but she didn't engender much confidence.

Thanks guys!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 09:42:46 PM »

Yes to both.  Regular Tivo comes with an IR connector that is used to allow your TV to change the channel on your DirecTV receiver.  Some models can also use a serial port to make it even easier.

The HD receiver can output in 480i/p, 720p, and 1080i so you'll just tell it to output in 480i/p for the time being.  However, you will be unable to record any of the HD signals on the Tivo. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 10:51:32 PM »

Excellent Kevin! Is there anything in particular I need to do or hook up or switch around to make the TiVo IR switch work? I wont know if the DirectTv is going to work until Wednesday, so I have some time to figure this out. I would guess there is a 50/50 chance it won't work given where my apartment is located and the assinine condo regulations. Thanks for the help!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 01:20:36 AM »

Just make sure that the Tivo and DirecTV box aren't more than a couple of feet apart.  The Tivo should come with the IR sensors you need. 
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 07:36:04 PM »

Also if you purchase a TiVo make sure to get the regular TiVo and not the Dual Tuner TiVo. You are unable to split a satellite signal so the Dual Tuner TiVo will do you no good.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 10:45:32 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on September 11, 2006, 07:36:04 PM

Also if you purchase a TiVo make sure to get the regular TiVo and not the Dual Tuner TiVo. You are unable to split a satellite signal so the Dual Tuner TiVo will do you no good.

Oh wow, this was super helpful. I was so close to pulling the trigger on one of these the other day! Ok, regular tuner TiVo it is, now to find the best price!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: