http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 09:29:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reflections: Was this a good year for you?  (Read 1504 times)
Dante Rising
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2006, 08:00:24 PM »

I didn't see a forum topic covering this, so I thought I'd start one. Looking back on 2006, was this a good or bad year for you?

For me, this was a very poor year. It started out well, but by August everything went to Hell in a handbasket. I had two important resolutions for the year- relocate and reduce my debt levels. I failed to achieve either goal. I also lost my job, my home was broken into, my car engine completely crapped out on me, and a chronic illness that I have has returned to kick my ass in the last few weeks of this year. Overall, I can't say I'll miss 2006. It left me mentally, financially, and physically fatigued.

Resolutions for 2007:

-Pay off my two biggest credit cards
-Relocate
-Get an actual CAREER, as opposed to just another job.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 08:08:24 PM »

Sorry 2006 was rough for you Dante.  Hope that 2007 is better.

For me personally, 2006 has been a fantastic year.  I married my wonderful wife, we bought our first house together, and my job is no longer at a company which had twice-a-year layoffs.  Of course all those events took place over a four week period, which was a mite stressful, but all worked out quite well!

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 08:13:06 PM »

thumbsup almost all the way across the board. Life in NOVA is a distant memory.

Now if only it wasn't 70 freaking degrees on December 19th, life would be perfect.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 08:16:27 PM »

Ask me in two weeks smile
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 08:36:18 PM »

I would say my year has had it's share of ups and downs, but I suppose the majority of it has been good (it's just easier to dwell on the bad). I dunno though, looking at the year it seems like the good and bad are always trying to outweigh eachother.

In the beginning of the year I started dating this girl in what would be my worst relationship yet (it lasted about two months). On the flip side, not long after that relationship I met my current girlfriend who I've been with for nearly 10 months now and can easily say is my best relationship yet.

As far as jobs, I ended up leaving my management position with GameStop when my dad asked me to get into the insurance business and eventually take over his agency. That didn't quite work out, but the good thing is I got a part-time gig with FedEx which pays MORE than my manager position paid, better benefits, and will pay for my tuition. Also, since it's part-time, I can concentrate on school again.

Health-wise, I was definately in better shape earlier in the year. I sort of relaxed on the gym and healthy eating midway into the year so I gained wait and loss definition, however I'm back in the gym daily again and am getting back into the shape I was earlier.

So, all in all I guess the good outweights the bad... I guess *shrug*

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 08:37:59 PM »

WORST YEAR OF MY LIFE.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 08:48:05 PM »

I've had better, and I've had far worse (looking at you '99). Here's hoping '07 will be better.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 09:15:46 PM »

I've determined the point of the new year is to give us false hopes before they are dashed by the wayside.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 09:17:53 PM »

Quote from: DarkEL on December 19, 2006, 08:37:59 PM

WORST YEAR OF MY LIFE.

Dude, you can't just leave it like that. (Unless you're being sarcastic  icon_wink)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 06:52:43 AM by Dante Rising » Logged
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 09:19:47 PM »

Quote from: JLu on December 19, 2006, 08:08:24 PM

Sorry 2006 was rough for you Dante.  Hope that 2007 is better.

For me personally, 2006 has been a fantastic year.  I married my wonderful wife, we bought our first house together, and my job is no longer at a company which had twice-a-year layoffs.  Of course all those events took place over a four week period, which was a mite stressful, but all worked out quite well!

YOU! You're the one that stole all my mojo!   mad

Glad to see you had a great year.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 09:22:59 PM »

My job sucks.
Everything else is pretty good.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 09:31:25 PM »

Except for the work drag that will go away once we get busy again, this has been a decent year. Finally got to go to Hawaii, and on someone else's dime. Made good money, worked my butt off. Started the year with a Promotion. Got a awesome beagle puppy, rescued a kitten, got grass to grow in my shady backyard. No one died, went to a couple weddings and overall I'd say 2006 was good. Not as good as last year, but still good. I have a feeling that 2007 may be a little rougher.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 09:38:39 PM »

Great year.  Got out of the Navy, had a great new job waiting for me.  15 minute commute now instead of my old 45+ minute trip.  Have a wonderful baby daughter.  Can't really ask for more. 
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 09:54:13 PM »

Things have been very good, especially in the past month or so.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2006, 09:56:53 PM »

Arguably worst year in a long, long time.  I spent most of the year in contractor hell.  Wisdom teeth caused trouble all year long, but in contractor hell you don't get dental insurance so I just have to deal with it.  Spent half of the year dealing with moderate depression and found out that I have moderately severe ADD, so I spent the last half-year  barely able to get anything done.  Discovered problems with my Piece O' Crap house I can't afford to fix.  And today a hunk of a molar broke off, so tomorrow I get to go to the dentist to see how much it's going to cost me.  Hooray.

But it's all relative, I guess.  I'm still alive and fairly healthy.  I have the best wife and kids in the world.  Made a few new friends, built a new computer, enjoyed a few PC games, and got a telecommuting job again where I'm a real employee (whatever that is).  A lot of people have it a lot worse, so I don't have much cause to complain and am looking forward to 2007 being a much better year. 

I'm happy for those of you who have had a great year, and I wish the best for those of you who haven't.
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2006, 09:57:51 PM »

Great year again.

Got 2 great kids who are doing better and better. A wonderful little 4 year old grandson who I adore (and he seems to like his grandpa, too  icon_biggrin) and a woman I call my friend. Don't need anything more than that.

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2006, 09:57:58 PM »

I'd say it was a pretty darn good year for us.  Exhausting, but still very good.  We bought our first house last March, made a lot of improvements and modifications to make the house more our own (and that is of course still ongoing), we added a new puppy to the family and have worked diligently on his training, we've met some fantastic new friends, my wife was finally able to start one of her most anticipated hobbies (creating and maintaining a 150-gallon saltwater aquarium) and it has been a great success, my wife recently earned her PG and received a fairly substantial raise, I too recently earned a fairly substantial raise, and the regional office we work for is breaking all sorts of records within our company.

Plus, the Eagles beat the Giants last week.  Can't ask for more than that.  Right, Starshifter?   icon_cool

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2006, 10:55:59 PM »

I had a pretty neutral year where not much changed from the beginning of 2006.  Since not much bad happened, I guess I'll chalk it up as a good year.

My personal life has stayed pretty much the same.  Still dating the same girl although recently I've begun to question whether the relationship is a good one to stay in.  I can feel us slowly drifting farther apart, so we'll see what happens in 2007.  paranoid

Work is exactly the same as the beginning of the year.  I won't complain as I've heard some layoffs are in the near future.  Business has slowed down from a couple years ago, but maybe there are new things in the works.

My apartment plumbing didn't back up and I did pick up a 360 (wow, is that my 2006 highlight?) and paid off some of my debt.  I hope to corral some of my spending in 2007 and pay off even more of my debt.  My goal is to have a relatively small amount going into 2008.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2006, 11:57:35 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on December 19, 2006, 08:00:24 PM

I didn't see a forum topic covering this, so I thought I'd start one. Looking back on 2006, was this a good or bad year for you?

For me, this was a very poor year. It started out well, but by August everything went to Hell in a handbasket. I had two important resolutions for the year- relocate and reduce my debt levels. I failed to achieve either goal. I also lost my job, my home was broken into, my car engine completely crapped out on me, and a chronic illness that I have has returned to kick my ass in the last few weeks of this year. Overall, I can't say I'll miss 2006. It left me mentally, financially, and physically fatigued.

Resolutions for 2007:

-Pay off my two biggest credit cards
-Relocate
-Get an actual CAREER, as opposed to just another job.

2006 was ups and downs for me, with a lot of strong ups making up for many of the downs.

Ups:

Won a nice lawsuit.
A class action against a former employer ended, payout next year.
New Baby
House Remodelled
Became nearly financially independant, paying off our last non-mortgage loan (car)
2 new babies added to other family members.
Learned how tight I can budget (to increase investments and saving)
Super year for PC gaming.

Downs:

Costs of EVERYTHING went up.
Michigan economy continued its steep dive.
No jobs available in this state.
People seemed more angry in Michigan (see above)
Stopped talking to many family members. (their mooching got too much)
Cutbacks at wifes hospital in many areas. (raises, insurance, etc)
Housing market tanked.

Bottom line, things I can control got way better in 2006, things I couldn't control got worse.. So I focus on controlling what I can control, and making it better, and doing my best to not let the things I can't control get to me. I can control my own budget, debt and expenses, but I cannot control the rest of the economy... Theres probably a lot more I forgot about.. But 2007 may be a difficult year, rumored more cutbacks at wifes employer, michigan economy will certainly dive even further, the housing market will surely continue to dump, and I suspect costs will increase on everything as usual.  Suffice it to say, I have zero confidence in an overall good year in 2007 for this country/state.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 11:59:14 PM by Kobra » Logged

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2006, 12:51:30 AM »

You know, upon reflection, 2006 was a pretty good year for me. 

It was my first full year in the Bay Area, after spending the majority of my life in SoCal.  I moved into a new condo just south of SF mid year, which has proven to be a very good decision.  It's the nicest place I've had since I moved out of my parents in 1999 and I really enjoy being there.  It's also the first time I've had a real garage since I left, which has been incredible for me.  The proximity to the city has allowed me to enjoy the benefits of SF (the food, the bars) without dealing with inter city traffic hassles on a daily basis.  Great decision.  On the other hand, I still don't actually OWN a place, on account of the Bay Area being a ridiculously absurd housing market, and I honestly don't see that changing anytime soon.  Short of selling off another startup, I don't know how I'll ever be able to swing it.

Professionally, I started a new job in January that has become considerably more fulfilling and interesting than my last few months at teh M$, but isn't quite as fun as my first few years at the startup that was swallowed by M$.  I'm doing more professionally to build my level of skills than I have in the past and from what I can tell, it's being noticed in the industry.  I made two significant salary jumps during the year (January and December) and am now making considerably more than I ever thought I would.  That being said, I made less in 2006 than in 2005 due to no stock options or anything of that sort this year.  Still, that's the only negative financial bit and it's not like I'm starving or anything, so a definite thumbs up from that end.

Socially, teh woman and I continue to see eye to eye on the controversial topics where most would disagree with us.  Neither one of us wants to get married, neither one of us wants children.  In a world where most long time girlfriends are clamoring for such things, I'm stoked I don't have to deal with either.  We got a puppy this year, Bacon, who has been by far the highlight of my year.  Like Pete, we've done the full on training/socialization/play group stuff and those events are the highlight of my week.  He's fantastic and brings a great level of comfort to my life.  Teh woman herself found her career path after deciding Law wasn't for her.  She did pass the CA bar, which was also a very exciting moment for both of us.

Family's good.  Friends are good.  I'm good.  All seems good.

gellar
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2006, 01:05:49 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on December 19, 2006, 09:17:53 PM

WORST YEAR OF MY LIFE.

Dude, you can't just live it like that. (Unless you're being sarcastic  icon_wink)

Nope - this was literally the worst year of my life. I'm counting down the days till it's over and I can have a better year.
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2006, 01:57:40 AM »

I've had better but then again I've had worse.

Ye Olde Farte
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2006, 02:06:41 AM »

After a couple of good years I'm ending this one almost exactly in the same place I was in 2003.  I don't know if that is good or bad, but 2007 looks to be a rebuilding year.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Grievous Angel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2006, 03:34:45 AM »

2006 pretty much sucked, really. I got divorced in June after making it through the 6 most emotionally painful months of my life. I then got into consecutive relationships with married women separated from their husbands, and in the end they both decided to get back together with the husbands. I was cast aside pretty easily in the first one, but I can at least take comfort in the fact that the second one really could have turned into something good if circumstances had been otherwise.

On the positive side, my move to Georgia went well, my employer is satisfied with the job I'm doing working from home, and I'm slowly but surely getting used to being single. My cooking is improving with every entree, at least. I get to see my daughter pretty often, and my relationship with the ex is good. I've pretty much abandoned the idea of being in a relationship again, so if I can just concentrate on being the best daddy I can be for her, things will get better.

Owner, Port Royal Cutthroats, GGNL
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2006, 04:12:32 AM »

Right now this doesn't feel like a good year.  It started by losing my job and being unemployed for two months.  Things picked up when I got a new job with a better employer, and I made a lot of new friends, but my plans to advance quickly did not turn out.  Now I'm sitting here with a health problem that may keep me out of work for some time (should know more tomorrow).  Even if I get good news it's going to go down as below average compared to recent years. 

At best it's been a year to build for a better future, I hope.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2006, 04:46:21 AM »

Full year out of college, I've had 5 jobs, but this last one's a winner biggrin

I have a really, really great girlfriend.

Moving to Seattle.

It's been a pretty good year.  With the exception of a Grandpa dying, as well as our two dogs :/

TheMissingLink on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2006, 05:07:17 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on December 20, 2006, 04:46:21 AM

Moving to Seattle.

You're leaving depward?  First Captain Caveman leaving Ralph Wiggum and now this?????

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2006, 05:18:55 AM »

Seattle has a hot job market, but like the Carolinas, I suspect Seattle won't last long as the last bastion.. heh.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2006, 06:51:11 AM »

Quote from: Grievous Angel on December 20, 2006, 03:34:45 AM

2006 pretty much sucked, really. I got divorced in June after making it through the 6 most emotionally painful months of my life. I then got into consecutive relationships with married women separated from their husbands, and in the end they both decided to get back together with the husbands. I was cast aside pretty easily in the first one, but I can at least take comfort in the fact that the second one really could have turned into something good if circumstances had been otherwise.

On the positive side, my move to Georgia went well, my employer is satisfied with the job I'm doing working from home, and I'm slowly but surely getting used to being single. My cooking is improving with every entree, at least. I get to see my daughter pretty often, and my relationship with the ex is good. I've pretty much abandoned the idea of being in a relationship again, so if I can just concentrate on being the best daddy I can be for her, things will get better.

Sorry to hear about the marriage and relationship problems. Its good to see that you and your ex-wife didn't break off relations completely. My one saving grace is I have a wonderful woman who is extremely committed to our future.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2006, 06:52:28 AM »

Quote from: DarkEL on December 20, 2006, 01:05:49 AM

Quote from: Dante Rising on December 19, 2006, 09:17:53 PM

WORST YEAR OF MY LIFE.

Dude, you can't just leave it like that. (Unless you're being sarcastic  icon_wink)

Nope - this was literally the worst year of my life. I'm counting down the days till it's over and I can have a better year.

Bad because......?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: