http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 10:58:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommend me a new TV  (Read 646 times)
TK-421
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 28, 2010, 06:33:02 PM »

We are starting to get a lamp warning on our 52" Panasonic projection LCD. 

Taking advantage of that I have been working on convincing the wife that we should get a new plasma/LCD TV.  I still plan on keeping the current TV and replacing the lamp but I think I'd like to move that to the bedroom and get a new one for the living room.

So, here's the criteria I'm looking at:

LCD\LED\Plasma
55" or larger
No 3D
Less than $2000

So, what's the cream of the current crop?

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 07:13:51 PM »

Or at the very least, recommend me a good guideline.

I would wade through AVS forums but that's like looking for a needle in a stack of needles.

What should I be looking for in a sub $2000 TV?  What are the recommended styles: LCD vs. LED vs. Plasma?

What tech specs should I be looking for?

That sort of thing.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 07:40:13 PM »

First, and maybe you know this, but LCD and LED are the same thing. It's just different backlighting. You have to go fairly high end to really see a noticeable difference between regular CFL LCD's and LED LCD's.

But, and I say this as an LCD owner... Plasmas are better for just about everything if you have decent control over the room lighting. They're more prone to glare than most LCD tv's because of the glass surface, but otherwise they rule. Contrast, clarity, motion, it's all better on a good Plasma. LCD's have closed the gap significantly over the last year or two, but Plasmas still have the edge, and now that they're usually cheaper in the same size ranges the only way I really recommend LCD is for those planning for HTPC or other Computer use, or if the room lighting is generally very bright and you're not willing to go for heavy curtains or anything like that to darken it.

I have firsthand experience with Panasonic's G and S series sets. Both are excellent, the G is ever so slightly cleaner in fast motion stuff.

Now, with all that said... when you get to that 55 inch range Plasma sets can get very, very awkward should you ever have to move one. It will be heavy. If you want something you can rotate or mount easily an LCD will be significantly easier to handle.

The Panasonic 54" G series is only $1250 on Amazon right now. And in the S series you can get the 65 inch for about $1800.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 07:44:42 PM by Thin_J » Logged

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 07:56:53 PM »

Samsung 58" Plasma:PN58B860.  Just researched and bought 6 of these for work about 6 months ago.  I think we paid $1800 a pop for them.  They are very nice.  Plasma tech at LED thickness!  I have one picked out for my Christmas bonus smile.  

Note: that model may be discontinued if it is just repalce the B with a C for the latest as I am pretty sure that is how they name their stuff.

morlac00 on PSN
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 07:58:35 PM »

Yeah, I haven't seen any HDTV in that price range that put out a better picture than a Panasonic Plasma.  My parents have a 51" Panasonic, it's gorgeous.  We have a 42" Panasonic Viera and have absolutely no complaints with it whatsoever.  As long as you don't position it so it's facing brightly-lit windows, it's a fantastic TV.

XBox Live:  JNacht
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 08:27:54 PM »

It's worth noting that plasmas pull a lot more power than LCD, which (I think) pull more power than LED.  It won't be a huge difference on your electric bill, but the plasmas will definitely be more expensive to operate.

TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 08:34:18 PM »

I was looking at the Panasonic Viera TC-P58S2 58" plasma. 

At less than $1300 that strikes me as a heck of a deal.

Of course, I'll also have to invest in a wall mount and shelves for the rest of my devices. 

And I should probably get a new Logitech universal remote since the wife threw the last one at one of our parrots when it wouldn't shut up.  It still works but the USB port is shot so I can't reprogram it.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 08:38:00 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on September 28, 2010, 08:34:18 PM

And I should probably get a new Logitech universal remote since the wife threw the last one at one of our parrots when it wouldn't shut up.

You should also consider paying for your wife to take some anger management courses.   icon_lol
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 08:44:29 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on September 28, 2010, 08:38:00 PM

And I should probably get a new Logitech universal remote since the wife threw the last one at one of our parrots when it wouldn't shut up.

You should also consider paying for your wife to take some anger management courses.   icon_lol

Oh hell no.  YOU bring that up to her.  I'll be in the car.  Five towns away and still driving.

Seriously though, my wife is the sweetest woman in the world.  However, if you've have ever had parrots you'd understand the desire to throw things sometimes.

That's why try to keep soft, pliable things around for throwing purposes and not $100 remotes.

envy24

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 09:00:22 PM »

I saw a best buy add sunday that has a 50 in plasma and blue ray player for 1000 and it samsung which is a pretty good tv i think it was only 720...however i have a panasonic 50 plasma 720 and i am perfectly happy with it. my in laws have a 1080 and it not a huge difference. but for the tv and blue ray its not a bad deal.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 09:00:42 PM »

I'll second the Panasonic plasmas.  I have two of them, and the picture is second to none.

I bought this one for my media room, and the picture is beautiful.
envy24

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 09:01:15 PM »

oh sorry i just noticed you said 55" or bigger...oh well sorry.
envy24

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 09:05:21 PM »

I was looking at the Panasonic Viera TC-P58S2 58" plasma. 

At less than $1300 that strikes me as a heck of a deal.

Of course, I'll also have to invest in a wall mount and shelves for the rest of my devices. 

And I should probably get a new Logitech universal remote since the wife threw the last one at one of our parrots when it wouldn't shut up.  It still works but the USB port is shot so I can't reprogram it.

If you read closely it say 1278 or whatever but then it also says or buy new...so im getting the impression that that is a used tv...i could be completely wrong however
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 10:06:46 PM »

I recommend that you look into the Samsung line of TVs  I did a lot of research  ( yes I waded thru the AVS forums ) and some comparison shopping before choosing a Samsung LCD.  I definitely do not regret that choice.  My second choice was a Panny plasma   I figure you cant go wrong either way, I went with the Samsung because over all I liked the picture slightly better.   I will say this,  you can probably get more bang for your buck with a plasma.  They seem to be down pricing them more than the lcd tv's

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 10:48:45 PM »

Well, I guess it's all moot now.  Wife nixed the idea.

She says we need to save money for our upcoming cruise.  She's right of course.

But dang.

Oh well, maybe in the spring.

ericb

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 02:17:54 AM »

I would wait...there is a supposed severe glut of flat screen TVs and they are expecting the lowest prices ever for Black Friday this year.  I've already heard hints of $250 32" flats and much lower prices on 40"+.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 04:58:55 AM »

Quote from: ericb on September 29, 2010, 02:17:54 AM

I would wait...there is a supposed severe glut of flat screen TVs and they are expecting the lowest prices ever for Black Friday this year.  I've already heard hints of $250 32" flats and much lower prices on 40"+.

Yeah, I'm hearing that rumor as well.  Name brand TVs have really dropped in price since last Christmas across all sizes from what I've seen, in some cases quite significantly.  It's going to be interesting to see how aggressive the prices are for the holiday sales period.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2010, 12:20:59 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on September 29, 2010, 04:58:55 AM

Yeah, I'm hearing that rumor as well.  Name brand TVs have really dropped in price since last Christmas across all sizes from what I've seen, in some cases quite significantly.  It's going to be interesting to see how aggressive the prices are for the holiday sales period.

I blame 3D!  Serisouly. 

morlac00 on PSN
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2010, 02:43:30 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on September 28, 2010, 08:27:54 PM

It's worth noting that plasmas pull a lot more power than LCD, which (I think) pull more power than LED.  It won't be a huge difference on your electric bill, but the plasmas will definitely be more expensive to operate.

This has decreased significantly. Almost all the newer plasma sets have power usage much more inline with CFL based LCD TV's.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2010, 04:05:14 AM »

Quote from: Thin_J on September 28, 2010, 07:40:13 PM

But, and I say this as an LCD owner... Plasmas are better for just about everything if you have decent control over the room lighting. They're more prone to glare than most LCD tv's because of the glass surface, but otherwise they rule.

Is this even true anymore? I don't ever see *any* quality LCD that doesn't have a pane of glass on the front these days. I only see the cheap LCDs without it.

I'll join the chorus - buy a Panasonic plasma.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2010, 04:27:48 AM »

Quote from: morlac on October 01, 2010, 12:20:59 AM

Quote from: Sarkus on September 29, 2010, 04:58:55 AM

I blame 3D!  Serisouly. 

Finally!  Something good has come from this 3D fad!  slywink

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2010, 04:33:42 AM »

Quote from: JCC on October 01, 2010, 04:05:14 AM

I'll join the chorus - buy a Panasonic plasma.

My Sony Z series has a matte coating, and it's only maybe a year old? When I bought the thing it was one model below their absolute top of the line 40 inch.

theohall

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2010, 04:35:23 AM »

Waiting for Spring next year is a bad idea.  This holiday season (Nov-Jan) expect to see significantly lower prices on HD TVs due to a supply glut.  By Spring 2011, the supply problem which currently exists will be corrected via holiday sales and the prices will have gone back to current levels.
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2010, 04:37:50 AM »

When arguing price difference between LCD/LED vs plasma a consideration most ignore is your electric bill.  A Plasma will cost you more every month (plasma requires more power) as long as you watch TV than an LCD/LED.  So take that into consideration if economics are a significant factor.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2010, 01:52:34 PM »

I love my toshiba 42" LCD (1080p, 120Hz).

I do not love burn-in or image retention (which is greater on Plasma than LCD incl. LED LCD), so were I to drop up to 2k on a big new set, I would either get an LED LCD (haven't shopped around, but I love them), or the Panny Plasma as the image retention and burn-in is almost non-existant.

Go into a B&M store, and get them to turn on all the image cleaners at once and see which ones still have the channel tag on them. AVOID THOSE.

Then do the panny, and love the result.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2010, 01:56:33 PM »

Get 2! Live it up!

*NOTE: Woman between TVs is an extra-cost accessory. Shipping and handling extra...

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: