http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 11:48:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recomendations for good Star Trek novels  (Read 881 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2005, 03:38:21 PM »

[edit]
There the title is right for Paul
smile

[/edit]

They are a guilty pleasure but sometimes they are fun to read as sci-fi light.

Since there are hundreds of titles though there are a lot of both crap and good stuff so I am turning to other geeks for recommendations of good Star Trek novels.

I am not that partial to Voyager or Enterprise but books from any of the other series would be great!

Thanks,

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 05:09:14 PM »

Id say all the original series. I found all the old ones in used books stores. I bought them in 20 book stacks at a time and read them. Sometimes I read one a night. Ive read and own them all and they were all worth it. There was a lot of standouts of course. I loved the Howard Wienstein ones and even wrote him and recieved a letter back. Peter David ones are good and so are all the Judith and Garfield Reeves ones.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 08:06:06 PM »

I have to agree about the Peter David recommendation -- Vendetta is probably the greatest Star Trek novel I've ever read, though Imzadi would be a close second.

The only thing to remember about Vendetta is that it was written long before Star Trek: First Contact neutered the Borg, so its much more in keeping with how that race was first presented in Next Generation.  If you really like the idea of Borg ships outfitted with lightning globes and lonely Borg queens who're just looking for a little lovin', you'll probably be disappointed.

If, on the other hand, you liked the Borg as they were originally conceived -- a dark, pitiless plague of technological locusts who are interested only in whatever they can consume -- I'd highly recommend Vendetta.

-Autistic Angel
Ypmur
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 10:08:32 PM »

Q-Squared by Peter David (Basically created the notion that Trelane was a member of the Q continuum and Q is sort of like his babysitter in this story where everything goes wrong which gives way for hilarious scenes. ) Although I have to warn you about this one, it isn't a light read as one might expect out of a Trek novel because there are so many things going on at the same time that it can get confusing.

Prime Directive by the Reeves-Stevenses (Which has Kirk and the crew face court-marshal after a disastrous first contact situation.)

Federation by the Reeves-Stevenses (Has both the Kirk crew and Picard crew work independently towards the same problem that threatens the Federation)

Now these first two might be harder to find as I think they're out of print, so scout out your used book store for those, now the next ones are still in print as far as I know.

A Stitch In Time by Andrew Robinson (Basically Garak tells his story of just exactly who he is and how he ended up on DS9)

The Lives of Dax By Multiple Authors (Basically short stories surrounding each of the hosts of the Dax symbiont)

Immortal Coil by Jeffery Lang (Basically a Data book that brings together almost every computer and android reference from TOS and TNG into a very cool story, although some people have said to not have liked it since there were so many references that they felt it distracted them from the story, that and the fact that many of the references may not mean anything to some people unless they really know Star Trek history)
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 08:57:30 AM »

If you want to fill in the blanks between the last two Next Gen movies, there is a nine book series:

A Time to Be Born
A Time to Die
A Time to Sow
A Time to Harvest
A Time to Love
A Time to Hate
A Time to Kill
A Time to Heal
A Time for War, a Time for Peace

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2005, 03:21:48 PM »

Quote from: "Autistic Angel"
If, on the other hand, you liked the Borg as they were originally conceived -- a dark, pitiless plague of technological locusts who are interested only in whatever they can consume -- I'd highly recommend Vendetta.

Agree on the Vendetta recommendation. And I really like this description of the borg. Never quite read one so good.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 05:43:40 PM »

Could you PUHLEEZ spell the subject correctly! It's "Trek".

Spelling it wrong is a sin for any good Trekkie!!

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: