http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 12:45:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recognition for a Job Well Done! Now Updated with More Crap!  (Read 4311 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2006, 01:45:40 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on December 15, 2006, 01:25:05 PM

Quote from: Austin on December 15, 2006, 01:20:35 PM

Quote from: Tebunker on December 14, 2006, 09:45:20 PM

Man, all this stuff about bonusses being cancelled or silly statues, makes me very happy to be where I am. Granted I have to bust ass to earn a bonus, but I am glad the opportunity still exists. Hell, it's the only reason I took a Sales Position.
Here sales get a commission so we really don't do much in the way of bonuses. 

However we use bonuses with our positions fairly heavily.  Not all are entirely up to the individual though.  A lab person might have a bonus connected to something that production is also connected to.  I'm connected to sales but mostly on my own.  I have a course to complete in January which will add to my salary from here on out.  I have quarterly meetings with my boss to discuss goals and layout bonuses.  I understand the mentality that you hire someone to do a job and they need to do it, but I like it better this way.

As an example.  Would you rather make $40,000 or $35,000 with a potential to make $45,000 after a bonus?

Personally, I would rather make $40,000.  Potential is just that... potential, and it leads to a lot of problems in my opinion.  A very good friend has a position like this, and for 5 straight years they got the bonus.... big problem they got used to living on the amount he made post bonus.  Then came a down year and a pay drop of $8,000 due to there being no bonus.  While it is easy to say to not depend on the bonus, in practice it rarely works that way.  I would rather have a garunteed amount.

Agreed.  Give me the 40k.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2006, 01:49:34 PM »

Quote from: Austin on December 15, 2006, 01:20:35 PM

As an example.  Would you rather make $40,000 or $35,000 with a potential to make $45,000 after a bonus?

40k for me too.  Predictability of income is very important to me so I could never work a job that was heavily dependent on bonuses and commissions.  Bonuses are nice of course, and I did get one this year, but it's not something I want to expect or need in order to make the rest of our finances work out. 
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2006, 02:00:56 PM »

How about 70k, or 60k with potential for 80k? (20k bonus)  Is there a point where you prefer the bonus structure?  Keep in mind it's not all or nothing.  50% of your bonus in that case gets you to par.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 02:03:47 PM by Austin » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2006, 02:03:48 PM »

Quote from: Austin on December 15, 2006, 02:00:56 PM

How about 70k or 60k with potential for 80k?  Is there a point where you prefer the bonus structure. 

Again 70k.  Over 100k and I would probably change my mind though. 
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2006, 02:06:47 PM »

Huh.  Cool.  Personally I'd rather maintain a 60k lifestyle and enjoy a chunk at Christmas.  I do understand the "bird in hand" mentality though.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2006, 02:15:07 PM »

The amount really doesn't matter to me.  Human nature is to live up to the amount you make, thus everyone always seems to not have enough, no matter what they make.  Bonuses are nice, but I would never want it to be part of my salary structure.  Where I work does something similar.  I work for FedEx as a contractor.  If I were to get hired with FedEx Ground, my base pay would go down, but would be "promised" so much potential in bonuses on top of my pay.  FedEx Services however has a higher base pay, but less potential for Bonuses.  I have no desire to get hired on with Ground because of this pay structure.  This very year bonuses for Ground were pitiful and many coworkers are struggling because of it.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2006, 02:15:46 PM »

Quote from: Austin on December 15, 2006, 02:06:47 PM

Huh.  Cool.  Personally I'd rather maintain a 60k lifestyle and enjoy a chunk at Christmas.  I do understand the "bird in hand" mentality though.

And what if there is no chunk at Christmas.  Then what?
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2006, 02:22:55 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on December 15, 2006, 02:15:46 PM

Then he'd be fine, as his 60K lifestyle is covered by the gauranteed portion of his income. Bonus structures can be a boon for those willing to maintain a daily lifestyle commensurate with the salaried portion and utilize bonuses as treats (vacations, new cars, HDTVs, pay off the mortgage, etc). The big problems arise when people factor a non-gauranteed portion of income into their daily lifestyle. If  that extra doesn't come, they're screwed.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2006, 02:27:31 PM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on December 15, 2006, 02:22:55 PM

Then he'd be fine, as his 60K lifestyle is covered by the gauranteed portion of his income. Bonus structures can be a boon for those willing to maintain a daily lifestyle commensurate with the salaried portion and utilize bonuses as treats (vacations, new cars, HDTVs, pay off the mortgage, etc). The big problems arise when people factor a non-gauranteed portion of income into their daily lifestyle. If  that extra doesn't come, they're screwed.

Actually it sounded to me like his bonus chunk was what covered Christmas...similar to Christmas Vacation and the pool....

nod
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2006, 02:43:32 PM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on December 15, 2006, 02:22:55 PM

Then he'd be fine, as his 60K lifestyle is covered by the gauranteed portion of his income. Bonus structures can be a boon for those willing to maintain a daily lifestyle commensurate with the salaried portion and utilize bonuses as treats (vacations, new cars, HDTVs, pay off the mortgage, etc).

That's exactly it for me- I'm going to maintain a lifestyle calculated on base pay- so things like how nice of a house can we have, how nice of cars, etc are all going to be driven by the base pay and 70k guaranteed sounds better to me for those reasons.

Also, there is a whole separate level of stress that comes from needing bonuses.  My brother-in-law has always worked in jobs that depend heavily on bonuses and commissions and, while he makes really good money, he's practically tearing his hair out at the end of every month and will probably have an ulcer before he's 30.  I'm happy there are people out there to do these jobs but it's just not something I want to deal with.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2006, 02:45:40 PM »

Whenever I hear about bonuses and salary structures at places other people work, I'm more convinced I'm staying where I am until they blow it. smile

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
unbreakable
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2006, 03:43:43 AM »

Yeah, I've never been able to figure out how people like Real Estate Agents can take it.  There's just no guarantee for anything at all.  I know there is technically unlimited potential, but potential doesn't pay bills.

Way, way too uncertain for my tastes.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2006, 03:42:49 PM »

The company I work for gives out bonuses every quarter depending on how well we are doing last year I made out with about $5,000 this year we are exceeding even last years numbers. icon_biggrin

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2006, 03:47:19 PM »

Quote from: pingwrx on December 16, 2006, 03:42:49 PM

The company I work for gives out bonuses every quarter depending on how well we are doing last year I made out with about $5,000 this year we are exceeding even last years numbers. icon_biggrin

Coincidentally, I have a nice statue I'll sell you for just that amount.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2006, 04:36:04 PM »

I've never once worked for a company that gave out any sort of Christmas Bonus.  Startups FTL.

Now I have had positions that had management "bonuses" and my current position is salaried + commission, but those aren't once a year type things and honestly I consider them part of my regular income.  There is no option to not get it, I work hard, I get my commission.  Like Austin, I rather like how I am compensated.

gellar
depward

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2006, 07:17:25 PM »

I received my first Christmas bonus after being out of college yesterday.  It was a very generous bonus (roughly 5% of my total yearly salary).  So I went and spent it on an HDTV   icon_biggrin

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2006, 08:40:38 PM »

I've always lived within my means dictated by my base salary. Bonus is just that, bonus. Last year I made over 50% of my base salary in additional bonuses. I knew this year it would not be that way. I still got bonusses but all of our budgeting is based on the base salary. Any person who takes a position like that can only blame themselves if they choose to live outside their means. Me personally, I like knowing that when I bust my ass, get new accounts and grow my business that I am greatly rewarded beyond my base salary. Sure working the safe job for a couple thousand more a year is nice I guess, but I know my buddy hates the fact that he kills himself sometimes at his nice salaried position, doesn't get a bonus, and knowsw that I get a decent base living wage and get rewarded for working my ass off.

The problem with some base + bonus jobs is when the base isn't worthwhile. So many times it's a paltry base like $20,000 or even less. You could work a part time job and make more money than that. So obviously it really depends what that base is, and ultimately what the bonusses could be. My bonus structure has no payout limit. I could make 1 million dollars in bonus pay if I did well enough. Granted that won't happen(I'd have to have a $10 million increase or more), but we have many many sales reps in SW that make over 150k when you factor in bonusses. That's a whole lotta money for selling paint.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2006, 06:11:06 PM »

So the bosses of our team sent out a Christmas holiday card and they all signed it.

Inside was the treasure of treasures.  One scratch off lottery ticket valued at $1.00!  Great googily moogily. They spent $80 or so on the whole team for the holidays!  Is this an insult or do I have too high of expectations?

PS. The ticket is actually worth less than $1 because it wasn't a winner.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2006, 07:53:16 PM »

Quote from: ATB on December 23, 2006, 06:11:06 PM

So the bosses of our team sent out a Christmas holiday card and they all signed it.

Inside was the treasure of treasures.  One scratch off lottery ticket valued at $1.00!  Great googily moogily. They spent $80 or so on the whole team for the holidays!  Is this an insult or do I have too high of expectations?

It's their way of saying "Maybe you'll win and escape this Hell hole"?  I got a five dollar gift card to Subway. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2006, 07:55:12 PM »

I got a bottle of wine.

Just Hiro will do.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2006, 08:13:33 PM »

To be honest I think you have too high of expectations.
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2006, 09:26:54 PM »

The other day the FedEx truck stopped by and brought a box marked "Perishable".  What?  No one sends perishable stuff to our house.  I checked the mailing label and it was correct.

The company where I've been working for 3 months (and just became an employee Monday) is based in Baltimore.  They sent a box of a dozen backfin crab cakes from a local place.  The things are the size of baseballs and pretty good.  I sure hope they got a bulk discount from the place, though!
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2006, 09:41:28 PM »

Full timers at my work place get $1500 and part timers get $750.  I can't complain about free money. 

Jerome

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2006, 03:22:00 PM »

After all the commercials I've seen over the past month, I wondered what kind of idiots actually give lottery tickets as Christmas gifts... now I know..
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2006, 11:35:02 PM »

No bonus for Christmas.  Nada. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2006, 11:44:20 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on December 24, 2006, 11:35:02 PM

I've got a winning lottery ticket I'll sell ya.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: December 25, 2006, 07:05:50 AM »

Nothing for me.  Not even a "good job" or a "thank you" even though I set sales records for my department.  Yup, looking for a new job.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 25, 2006, 08:27:57 AM »

I am getting free time off (paid), I will take that.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 25, 2006, 08:42:19 AM »

I got 100 bucks.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 25, 2006, 01:22:21 PM »

Quote from: ATB on December 24, 2006, 11:44:20 PM

Quote from: mikeg on December 24, 2006, 11:35:02 PM

I've got a winning lottery ticket I'll sell ya.

They should have sent you one of those gag tickets.  They say you win like 20k than the fine print says pwned.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 25, 2006, 02:40:36 PM »

Everyone received two free movie tickets this year after a drought of nothing for the past two years.  Movin' on up!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 25, 2006, 03:56:27 PM »

Quote from: Qbe on December 23, 2006, 09:26:54 PM

The other day the FedEx truck stopped by and brought a box marked "Perishable".  What?  No one sends perishable stuff to our house.  I checked the mailing label and it was correct.

The company where I've been working for 3 months (and just became an employee Monday) is based in Baltimore.  They sent a box of a dozen backfin crab cakes from a local place.  The things are the size of baseballs and pretty good.  I sure hope they got a bulk discount from the place, though!
Dude, I'd say you just made out. Hard to beat good Chesapeake bay crab cakes. And as you can see from the Website they aren't cheap by anymeans. I wish I could eat the little bottom feeders more often without getting my Chron's worked up.

Everyone at my Mom's hospital got a Turkey for Christmas. Sherwin William's doesn't give out Christmas/Holiday bonusses per se, but we did have a big Holicay party on the Company's dime(first time ever) and at our National Sales meeting in 3 weeks they have unlimited free booze. So you can't complain too much.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 03:58:01 PM by Tebunker » Logged

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2007, 03:05:08 PM »

Good news!

Luke and I scouted out some bonuses for you next year ATB.  Both were found in Kingston Ontario so perhaps I can pick them up for your company next time I'm up that way.

lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2007, 07:23:51 PM »

Quote from: stimpy on December 14, 2006, 05:12:33 PM

Whats it supposed to be?
A star?
Is it related to something you do at work?

Does it do anything, like move?
Is it posable?

I'm intrigued!!!!!

Teh Wiki is your friend.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2007, 07:36:21 PM »

Quote from: Austin on January 05, 2007, 03:05:08 PM

Good news!

Luke and I scouted out some bonuses for you next year ATB.  Both were found in Kingston Ontario so perhaps I can pick them up for your company next time I'm up that way.

Well done.  Lukely Loo looks as mad as I did when I got the stupid thing.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: