http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 09:11:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rear Projection TVs no good for gaming?  (Read 1334 times)
Natjak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2005, 07:42:07 PM »

In the market for a new tv and I've seen some really nice looking RPTVs. But, the salesman at the store said you should only play games on them for 6 hours a day and not to leave it paused for more than 45mins, otherwise you will get burn in.

The pausing isn't a problem for me and I usually don't play for more than 6 hours a day. Just wondering everyone's thoughts on this. Does anyone else have a RPTV that they game heavily on?

Should I be looking at projection LCD, DLP or a plasma tv instead? Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
Jimmy the Fish
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 07:59:15 PM »

Burn-in is not a problem on DLP televisions. I leave things paused on my Samsung 50" DLP all the time. Not sure about LCD televisions.

Burn-in is an issue on plasma TVs though.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 08:29:24 PM »

I do all my gaming on my 52" hitachi RPTV, and have never had a problem with burn in.  Granted I usually don't do marathon sessions anymore, but I've put in quite a few 8-10 hour stints without  problem.  I couldn't be happier with it.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 09:00:38 PM »

I have a Samsung 52" RP HDTV and I've been very happy with it.  I haven't had any issues with burn in either.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 09:50:40 PM »

57" Sony RP CRT, I played some pretty long sessions of GTA:SA  as well as a number of other games without any burnin issues.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Natjak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2005, 10:20:31 PM »

Ok thanks for the help.

This is what I'm going to get http://www.hitachi.ca/forhome/51F510.html

It looked great in the store.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 12:44:07 AM »

Why would you have any burn in with a RPTV? Its just project light beams onto a tranlucent screen. So wheres the burn come from?

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
jcranmer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2005, 08:15:17 PM »

The only reason I would worry about burn in on a RPTV, is if you play a lot of games with a "status bar" at the top of the screen that is always on in the same place.  Extended game play with an image that never moves can cause burn in.

Having said that, I have a 50'' RPTV and between myself and my step son, it get's hours of gaming every day and I have never had an issue with it.  Although we do try to be careful about fighting games and others that have a static gauge or bar that never moves.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2005, 09:33:37 PM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
Why would you have any burn in with a RPTV? Its just project light beams onto a tranlucent screen. So wheres the burn come from?

I'm not sure of the particulars, but suffice to say it's not just a translucent screen.  It's also known as phosphor burn.  Day-traders get it because they watch those stock-reports all day long.  I see it in bars where the TVs are tuned to ESPN all the time, etc.  From what I've read in PC Magazine the burn-in issue has gotten better on the plasma sets but still exists.

Here's an informative plain-English write-up on it:

Burn-in has a double meaning. The term "burn-in" has found it's way into HDTV and HD-ready TV language as a negative. It means that an image can permanently burn into the screen. It would be like a faint stain on the screen. The most likely paths to burn-in are watching a 16:9 TV in 4:3 format, keeping the TV on the same channel such as a all news channel with a bottom information bar or stock report channel and video gaming.

How does this occur? As an example a news or stock report channel can have an information graphic at the bottom or side of the screen. This is a static image and for the most part it doesn't change except for the text information. The shape and size of the bar remains consistent. If the TV is left on that channel consistently over a long period of time for months on end then burn-in can occur even if the TV is on for an hour or two a day.

An analogy would be similar to the living room carpet. If you walk the same exact path across it every day...even just once or twice...eventually you are going to leave an imprint of your path. By walking the same path you wear out that section of carpet. A static image consistently on the screen will not wear out the screen so much as IMPRINT that image onto the screen.

When you flip to other channels you'll see the ghost of that shape and it's always there.

All CRT direct view and projector TVs can be the victim of burn-in as well as Plasma. Plasmas are more susceptible. DLP TVs, LCD Flat Panel and Projector TVs and LCoS TVs are immune to burn-in. Don't run screaming for the remote every time someone tunes in CNN or plays the occaisional video game but be aware that if you leave a CRT based TV or Plasma parked on the same channel 24/7/365 or play the same type of video game with the score parked in the corner or an HUD then you could find yourself victim of burn-in.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: