http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 10:04:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reaper survives  (Read 2410 times)
rshetts2
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2008, 01:42:30 PM »

Yep, Reaper has been renewed for 13 eps....   heres the link from sci-fi.com

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=2&id=53914&type=0

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 01:47:23 PM »

Cool, now maybe I'll rent the DVDs this summer. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 02:12:38 PM »

I guess I should be happy, but only 13 episodes and a mid season replacement?  I'll be surprised if it makes it to season 3.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 02:44:42 PM »

Well cool, I'm starting to enjoy the show enough.

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 04:57:53 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 13, 2008, 02:12:38 PM

I guess I should be happy, but only 13 episodes and a mid season replacement?  I'll be surprised if it makes it to season 3.

Agreed.   thumbsdown

I don't get it.  The shows that I get really pumped about are usually the first to go  Arrested Development, Reaper (probably)...
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 06:45:27 PM »

Mid season replacement?  What does this mean?  Did they replace a cast member?

I just got into this show.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 06:46:38 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 13, 2008, 06:45:27 PM

Mid season replacement?  What does this mean?  Did they replace a cast member?

I just got into this show.

It usually means that it will come back on to replace a new show that has failed.  They usually have new shows or low rated shows, like Reaper, ready to take the place of a new show that's failed early in the season.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 07:01:51 PM »

What about Moonlight?
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 07:08:17 PM »

Great news! I love the show. However, I couldn't get into Moonlight.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 07:10:04 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on May 13, 2008, 07:01:51 PM

What about Moonlight?

I was looking forward to that show before last season's shows started, and I think I watched 20 minutes of it before I had to turn it off.  IMHO, the acting was terrible. 
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 07:11:39 PM »

Moonlight's been canceled.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 07:23:54 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on May 13, 2008, 07:11:39 PM

Moonlight's been canceled.

I posted a personal review of it on OO back when it premiered.  In summary, I decided it was better to pay a neighbor 20 bucks to repeatedly kick me in the nuts than have to sit through 10 minutes of "Vinnie Barbarino: Irish Detective" (as I like to refer to it).

I do occasionally go back and watch an episode here and there because it is truly so awful that i never fails to get a chuckle out of me at some point (my current fave is the constant nasal sound that the poor schmuck from Veronica Mars makes whenever he's in a scene...I swear, he sounds like my 70 year old dad whenever he speaks, what with all the bodily noises he makes).

I had heard, however, that it had been renewed.  If it is truly gone, then I will perform a dance of joy here on these forums for all to see.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 07:25:12 PM »

I loved Moonlight.  Heathens!
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 07:29:31 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on May 13, 2008, 07:25:12 PM

I loved Moonlight.  Heathens!

god, i'm sorry zark...but really?

what did you like about it?  and i'm not being facetious, I really am curious.  I thought it was universally agreed upon that the premise, story and casting were just abysmal.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 07:31:13 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 13, 2008, 07:29:31 PM

I thought it was universally agreed upon that the premise, story and casting were just abysmal.

I thought the premise was ok; it was the execution that was terrible.  Hell, Forever Knight was leaps and bounds better...
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2008, 07:37:09 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 13, 2008, 07:31:13 PM

Quote from: hepcat on May 13, 2008, 07:29:31 PM

I thought it was universally agreed upon that the premise, story and casting were just abysmal.

I thought the premise was ok; it was the execution that was terrible.  Hell, Forever Knight was leaps and bounds better...

emo vampire detectives stopped being a legitimate premise about 10 years ago...after the 23rd attempt to use them in a tv show.  it was only due to the almost god like writing abilities of Whedon that Angel didn't become ridiculous. 

Someone should write a damn vampire detective show where the guy's freakin' happy he's going to live forever and gets to score with all the babes.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008, 07:41:40 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 13, 2008, 07:37:09 PM

Someone should write a damn vampire detective show where the guy's freakin' happy he's going to live forever and gets to score with all the babes.

Tony 'Vampire' Stark.  That would rule
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 07:45:57 PM »

Think about it, why in god's name would you get upset if you suddenly discovered you were going to live forever, never age, could get blood from animals or via blood banks, had a best friend who was ALSO a vampire, could knock boots with mortal women, and had super powers?  hell, vinnie barbarino in moonlight can even parade around town in broad daylight.  it's like having cancer, being told you're cured and then moaning about missing having cancer every damn day to anyone who would listen.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 07:49:17 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 13, 2008, 07:23:54 PM

I had heard, however, that it had been renewed.  If it is truly gone, then I will perform a dance of joy here on these forums for all to see.

yep, it's dead.  start dancing pony.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2008, 07:53:12 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 13, 2008, 07:49:17 PM

Quote from: hepcat on May 13, 2008, 07:23:54 PM

yep, it's dead.  start dancing pony.

WHOOPEE...there IS a god!

now...WATCH ME DO THE WHITE BOY SHUFFLE!

p.s. I loved this comment from a user who replied to the article in the Hollywood Reporter announcing the cancellation:

First New Amsterdam, now Moonlight. There is just no place on TV for something a little different than the cookie cutter shows.

icon_lol   Oh, the irony...

« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 09:10:49 PM by hepcat » Logged

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2008, 11:04:26 PM »

Crap!

Well great news on Reaper, thanks for that!!!

But bad news on Moonlight, I was really starting to enjoy it.  I'm really surprised they dumped it, ratings were actually pretty decent every time I checked.  Not sure what they were expecting for a Friday at 9pm show.  Like Reaper, it was just starting to hit its stride and explore more meaty storylines, plus I thought a lot of women (and me) were totally in love with the main star. 
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2008, 12:41:27 AM »

Great news that Reaper is coming back.  Too bad it's a mid-season replacement, but I'll take it.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
RobbieD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2008, 01:11:31 AM »

Nice to see Reaper made the cut. Happy to see The Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother are returning as well.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2008, 09:22:29 PM »

I really liked the show, and I'm glad it'll at least get a 2nd mid season replacement run. The ratings for it are atrocious (par for the course for CW though), so I hope they can find a friendly slot for it. I wish Kevin Smith had time to direct a few more episodes as he did the pilot.

I didn't realize this, but you can watch full episodes at the official site (yes I'm a Tivo-less neanderthal):
http://www.cwtv.com/cw-video/reaper

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2009, 04:19:28 AM »

Reaper returns on March 3, according to Entertainment Weekly (er, I guess according to Hollywood Reporter as quoted by EW icon_razz)
http://news-briefs.ew.com/2009/02/reaper-returnin.html
The second season of The CW's supernatural comedy-drama Reaper will return to air March 3, according to The Hollywood Reporter, which is two weeks earlier than originally planned. The show, which stars Bret Harrison as a young man contractually obliged to be a bounty hunter for The Devil (Ray Wise), will air at 8 p.m. Tuesdays followed by 90210. The CW will still air the series' 13 episodes straight, without repeats, as originally planned.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2009, 02:02:36 PM »

I'm really glad this is coming back.  thumbsup  I hope more people watch this time so it can get a full season.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2009, 03:23:08 PM »

Quote from: Nth Power on February 04, 2009, 02:02:36 PM

I'm really glad this is coming back.  thumbsup  I hope more people watch this time so it can get a full season.

yeah, it would be nice to have a regular season of Reaper, but if a shortened season like they do on FX will keep it alive then I guess I can deal with 13 doses a season.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2009, 03:29:17 PM »

To quote TV columnist Alan Sepinwall, CW just "sacrificed" Reaper by swapping it's timeslot with 90210 so it could get 90210 out of the way of American Idol.  I seriously doubt it sees a third season. 
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2009, 04:26:18 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 04, 2009, 03:29:17 PM

To quote TV columnist Alan Sepinwall, CW just "sacrificed" Reaper by swapping it's timeslot with 90210 so it could get 90210 out of the way of American Idol.  I seriously doubt it sees a third season. 

Sam's ex-girlfriend (and sister?) is a regular on 90210. I was hoping they were going to revisit that storyline but they seemed to just drop it.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2009, 09:13:05 PM »

Never watched Reaper. I remember thinking the previews looked kinda funny. I also only saw a few eps of Forever Knight. Seemed ok. Wife and I loved Moonlight and Blood Ties though. Gonna miss both of them. I thought they were almost the same show though and figured one would buy the farm..just not both.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2009, 10:17:57 PM »

Ouch about the timespot.  However, I suspect the 90210/American Idol demographic probably wouldn't watch something as geeky as Reaper.  So, I wonder how well the geek demographic can keep it going, probably not long.  frown

At least Chuck is going strong, the two series are really, really similar, except one hunts spies, the other hunts demons.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2009, 10:25:04 PM »

The time-slot sucks, but it's probably the only way the show was coming back.  The sacrificial lamb.  Oh well, I at least hope they air all 13 episodes and that when the season ends, it does so in a way that would tie up loose ends and not a cliffhanger like the last season.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2009, 10:29:12 PM »

AFIK, *nothing* on CW gets good ratings, period. I mean, the hyped Gossip Girl has 2.6-3.1 Nielsen ratings. I know, I know, maybe everyone watches it on DVR, ITunes, Hulu etc., but Nielsens for better or worse still seem to be what studio suits fixate on.

So, if it makes us fans feel better, being on CW just means your ratings will always stink. So it probably doesn't matter what your competition is. I hate American Idol, so now at least I have something I enjoy watching at that time frame.  icon_cool

To me, Reaper is a ridiculous, unabashedly dorky show with a preposterous premise. Which is why I love it.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 10:32:02 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2009, 10:31:45 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on February 04, 2009, 10:29:12 PM

AFIK, *nothing* on CW gets good ratings, period. I mean, the overhyped Gossip Girl has 2.6-3.1 Nielsen ratings. I know, I know, maybe everyone watches it on DVR, ITunes, Hulu etc., but Nielsens for better or worse still seem to be what studio suits fixate on.

Yeah, I watch everything on my DVR.  I can't refuse to watch any shows with adult content while my daughter is awake.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2009, 11:06:29 PM »

Hell, I don't watch anything on Tuesday nights, especially not American Idol, so that works out perfect for me.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2009, 12:24:00 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on February 04, 2009, 10:29:12 PM

AFIK, *nothing* on CW gets good ratings, period. I mean, the hyped Gossip Girl has 2.6-3.1 Nielsen ratings. I know, I know, maybe everyone watches it on DVR, ITunes, Hulu etc., but Nielsens for better or worse still seem to be what studio suits fixate on.

As bad as the CW's ratings are, there is still definitely a hierarchy (ie the worst of the worst).  Reaper barely scraped a renewal last year so barring a miracle I don't see it getting a third season. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: