http://gamingtrend.com
August 28, 2014, 11:43:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading glasses: tell me about them  (Read 278 times)
lildrgn
Gaming Trend Senior Member

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« on: September 24, 2011, 09:25:20 PM »

I'm finding more and more, especially when using computers, I am having a difficult time focusing on the screen. It seems if I cover one eye, it's ok, but with both, it's a bit blurry.

My wife snickered and had me try her reading glasses, which, I am sad to say, seemed to help. Trouble is, her glasses are a) for girls, and b) hers and she needs 'em.

Today I hit some local drug stores and tried some on. Since my face is quite flat and broad, I need spring loaded earpieces as well as nose pads. They seem to have plenty, but then I also need larger lenses as I have a hard time looking down without actually pivoting my head (remnants of a long gone car accident).

Anyway, is there a trick? Or do I just buy what works best? Also, I'm thinking it's time for me to go get my eyes checked anyway. I think I may wait for that, then see what the dr. says.

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 10:13:18 PM »

I'd say to just see an eye doctor.  Reason being because while reading glasses may help, wearing the wrong prescription can cause fatigue, headaches, and in more severe cases you can also experience dizziness and nausea.  This of course is in the case of wearing glasses regularly, but the right prescription makes a pretty big difference.  Also, if you haven't been to the eye doctor in some time it is always a good idea to go in order to make sure everything checks out okay.  A lot of people who don't wear glasses simply don't go to the eye doctor.  It couldn't hurt to get a check-up since it sounds like it has been a while.  My current eye doctor has this kick-ass retinal scan machine that is a few dollars extra on top of our co-pay, but he can zoom in and look at the complete anatomy of the retina to make sure there are no issues, problems, etc.  For example, it'll show him if your blood vessels are being starved of oxygen, if you have any degenerative effects from wearing contacts too much, etc.  It's quite a helpful diagnostic tool. 

I've worn corrective lenses since I was in 5th grade, so regular yearly visits to the eye doctor are a must.  But there are many who don't go regularly and sometimes learn that they not only require reading glasses but corrective lenses for other things as well.  Even if you don't need to wear glasses regularly, I'm of the opinion that making sure your eyes are okay plus getting the right reading prescription makes it a worthwhile visit (at least if you have vision insurance of some sort).  And if you need corrective lenses for other things you may see an improvement in quality of life associated with vision.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 10:48:54 PM »

If youre going to the optometrist anyways, you may as well wait.  As Pete said, it will be better for you to get the correct lens prescription.  As far as getting glasses,  the first time I actually got prescription lenses and wore them around, I was amazed at how much clearer my vision was.  It had deteriorated so slowly that I hadnt realized how bad it had become.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 11:01:49 PM »

Yeah, waiting makes the best sense. I've worn glasses since second grade and contacts since fifth or sixth. Plus, I have some killer benefits with my new employer and should be able to take advantage of those very soon.

Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 12:45:32 AM »

Reading glasses are just basically magnification lenses for the condition that typically starts in the 40's where small, close, objects and print get hard to see. I started needing them a couple of years ago. I use the 1.5. I got a pair with little LED's for reading in bed at night.

Ale
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 12:50:17 AM »

Quote from: lildrgn on September 24, 2011, 11:01:49 PM

Yeah, waiting makes the best sense. I've worn glasses since second grade and contacts since fifth or sixth. Plus, I have some killer benefits with my new employer and should be able to take advantage of those very soon.

Then I would say this is by far your best bet.  If you've worn contacts for this long I'd also recommend having the retinal scan if your optometrist offers it.  My scan actually showed that my eyes were being starved for oxygen and the blood vessels were beginning to swell.  This is an irreversible condition that can sometimes lead to not ever being able to wear contacts again.  I was advised to only wear contacts during the day and then switch to glasses in the evenings to give my eyes a rest and better access to oxygen supply.  I eventually just started wearing glasses full-time, only using contacts for sports or swimming, and my prescription got better.  Our medical coverage is excellent, so I get new glasses every year to ensure no degradation of fabulousness.  Fabulous  

A recent major concussion gave me blurred vision that hasn't dissipated quite yet, but my eyes are at least in good shape so the problem isn't my eyes but my brain.   retard  

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 05:14:35 AM »

They make it easier for you to read stuff - K.
Shinjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 07:15:01 AM »

This reminds me - I need to get to the optometrist. 

I used to wear glasses, starting around 16 years ago after starting a carrier as a programmer.  One thing that annoyed the hell out of me was the clip on sunglasses that worked with my glasses.   Since my specs didn't really hug my skulll too closely, the clip-ons only blocked what was directly in front of me.  Since it wasn't the 80's, that wasn't a particularly large conical section, so I tended to squint a lot even with my "sunglasses" on.

So, a few years back I decided to give contacts a shot.  It took a few months of testing to find something comfortable, and then I contracted pink-eye from one of my spawn.  This managed to swell into blepharitis which took around ~9 months to dissipate (without contacts or glasses, which had broken by now), which is fortunate (Ironrod will attest, I think).

My eyes have since cleared up.  But there are frequent times when I just get a damn headache from working in front of the PC (sometimes accompanied by nausea). 

Being near sighted in one eye and far sighted in the other is somewhat problematic.  I can generally get around just fine.  But driving down the road, one eye can tend to draw miy attention to the bugs on the windshield.  When I first first realized I needed glasses (~17 years ago), I was heading to a wedding in the Chicago area and kept missing exits, since I couldn't read them until it was too late (before that I knew the names of all of the exits I used and didn't need to actually read anything).

It will be an interesting experiment - glasses while working, and nothing while driving...
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 04:15:06 PM »

Quote from: Shinjin on September 25, 2011, 07:15:01 AM

It will be an interesting experiment - glasses while working, and nothing while driving...

Umm, why not just glasses all the time? 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: