http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 08:12:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Read this if you wear contact lenses  (Read 760 times)
Nth Power
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2006, 08:02:11 AM »

This is kind of scary.
CHICAGO (Reuters) - Retailers started pulling a Bausch & Lomb (NYSE:BOL - news) contact lens solution off their shelves on Wednesday as the company warned it was not able to gauge the fallout from a federal investigation into whether the product was linked to a serious eye infection.

U.S. health authorities are looking into 109 cases of Fusarium Keratitis, a rare infection that could cause permanent vision loss if untreated. People in 26 of those cases said they had used ReNu products or generic versions made by Bausch & Lomb.

It's a small population, but when it comes to my sight, I don't want risk it.  I'm going to switch my brand of lens solution starting tomorrow.

Full story here.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 11:40:19 AM »

it's the Renu line of products, I've never used that line, but I have used one of there other unrelated lines and I've had no issues for over 4 years, so I don't think I'll be quick to change.

Also, after reading the article it states that some of the other participants used other eye solutions as well.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 02:13:56 PM »

Renu also produces some generics at the same plant.

I wouldn't be too worried.. but it can't hurt to switch for awhile.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 03:12:14 PM »

hmm...i've been using that exact stuff since it hit the market (Renu w/ MoistureLoc), and used another Renu solution before that.  just bought a new bottle of the offending stuff last week and used it to put my contacts in the morning... :?

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 06:39:25 PM »

I've been using the generic stuff 'Equate' from Walmart for a couple years now. Cheap and I haven't had any trouble. I don't believe that it is made or packaged by B&L either.

Playing: ? 360 | FO: New Vegas | BF4 PC / 360 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
warning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 07:08:22 PM »

Quote from: "Kagath"
I've been using the generic stuff 'Equate' from Walmart for a couple years now. Cheap and I haven't had any trouble. I don't believe that it is made or packaged by B&L either.

I've used that for about 5 years.  No problems.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 07:18:47 PM »

LASIK FOR THE WIN! I'M A CONVERT! SO SHOULD YOU...be.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 07:21:30 PM »

Quote from: "Kagath"

Equate is great. $3 for two bottles. Can't beat that.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 08:23:12 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
LASIK FOR THE WIN! I'M A CONVERT! SO SHOULD YOU...be.

Pfft.  Lasers + Eyeballs = me screaming like a little girl.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 08:38:36 PM »

Valium, my friend! Valium!

Here's the detailed history of my experience as posted on BC

I'd do it again (and will for the final touch ups some time in the next few months).

I went from >2400 to 20/25 and am SO grateful.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 10:57:49 PM »

I'd like to do Lasik, but I have an astygmatism in both eyes, which makes it even more expensive.  The last time I checked, it was costing me $500 for each eye + another $250 for the astygmatism.  That made it a cool $1500 for both.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2006, 12:17:05 AM »

Quote from: "Nth Power"
I'd like to do Lasik, but I have an astygmatism in both eyes, which makes it even more expensive.  The last time I checked, it was costing me $500 for each eye + another $250 for the astygmatism.  That made it a cool $1500 for both.

And honestly, I'd worry about the skill/experience of someone who did it that cheaply.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2006, 01:05:23 AM »

Quote from: "Laner"

And honestly, I'd worry about the skill/experience of someone who did it that cheaply.

Yeah, I'm especially wary of those "specials" some places have.  Maybe it's all good and legit, but I'd rather pay more for a recognized name and not take the chance.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2006, 01:54:09 AM »

I had severe astigmatism in each eye.  For the #1 guy in Northern Virginia it cost me $2850 per eye.  They had a 600.00 promotion so final cost was $5100.00 total (for initial lazoring, and follow ups).  If you pay for it through flex spending it works to be about 30% less.

Totally worth it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: