http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 09:39:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you use Satellite Radio?  (Voting closed: March 27, 2006, 07:20:37 AM)
Yes - 12 (40%)
No - 18 (60%)
Total Voters: 29

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re-poll - Sat Radio  (Read 1148 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: March 27, 2006, 07:20:37 AM »

Now that Howard Stern has moved into the realms of Sirius, lots of folks I know are getting Satellite Radio.  Are you one of them?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 08:07:52 AM »

No, but my old man's got it.

He said he even listens to Stern once in a while but he gives it a thumbs down. Not because of content but because they seem to always run a promo for the next days/weeks show and never really get down to anything. An endless parade of self-promotion.
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 08:23:41 AM »

I'm on my second year with Sirius.Not sure I'm going to renew again tho. The reason?I've got an MP3 player since I started subscribing and now I can play nothing but my favorites all the time. I don't care for news or talk radio. The comedy stations are the ones I listen to the most but there's so much repeat there.I also don't care for sports.

Ye Olde Farte
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 01:11:35 PM »

XM for me.

Hockey + baseball > Howard.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 03:04:33 PM »

Nope for me.  When I want to listen to music I use my iPod.  I'd much rather listen to music I know I like than crap someone else feeds me.  If I really get a hunkering for new music I'll pull up www.pandora.com and run that through my receiver.

Howard interested me for a brief moment when his movie came out but that faded pretty quickly.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 03:28:45 PM »

I had XM but it didn't do it for me...

Stern I burned out on about 6 years ago after listening pretty regularly for maybe 3-4 years?  After a while, I just didn't care...

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 04:14:12 PM »

Usually I listen to nothing in my car, I enjoy the silence.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 04:28:58 PM »

I've been a Sirius subscriber for 1.5 years and an XM subscriber for maybe 4 now.  I listen to Sirius in my car, mostly Maxim radio with the occassional Howard.  When I sold my last car to my sister, I left the XM in there so she has that.  I still logon to XM online every now and then though.

Got my dad Sirius for Christmas and he loves it.  He's a big Howard fan though.

gellar
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 05:16:49 PM »

Still have Sirius and still listen to it every day. I love ad-free music.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 06:59:00 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Nope for me.  When I want to listen to music I use my iPod.  I'd much rather listen to music I know I like than crap someone else feeds me.  If I really get a hunkering for new music I'll pull up www.pandora.com and run that through my receiver.

Howard interested me for a brief moment when his movie came out but that faded pretty quickly.

Wow, why havent I heard about Pandora before?! Very slick, and FREE!
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2006, 11:47:58 PM »

I used to have XM, but I couldn't justify the cost to the time spent listening to it.  I enjoyed it, but it always seemed most of the time I was listening was when the PC was on.  I ended up sticking with internet radio for free.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 12:31:16 AM »

I have XM in my car.  I love it.  I've not heard Sirius but I'm sure I'd enjoy that just the same.  Ad-free radio, a boatload of channels, uncensored, and a ton of different content.  My head unit also plays MP3 discs so I'm never at a loss for something to listen to.  Oh yeah, my car is really the only place to crank my music (living in an apartment) so that might also increase my appreciation.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
unbreakable
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2006, 02:20:12 AM »

I listened to Stern for years, but you know what?  I really don't miss him.

I wake up late morning now, and either listen to NPR or WCKG.  Their late morning guys are good, then they have Jim Kramer for an hour (from TheStreet.com) who I liked so much I would listen to him at like 5am.  

Then, after Kramer they have Penn Jillette for an hour.  That is, to me, an hour of radio I don't want to miss.  Penn's hour-long show is more interesting and funny, to me, than an entire week of Stern.

After Penn, they go over to the afternoon show with Steve Dahl, which is always funny, and that gets me to work.  When I'm out of the house, I listen to the radio on my MP3 player.  And in this age of iPods, most people are "checked out" anyway.

As for paying for radio, I'm going to give $100 to NPR.  But beyond that completely voluntary donation, I see no compelling reason to pay for radio.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2006, 01:18:00 PM »

I listend to stern since he came to NY on WNBC. Loved him, he was hungry and he was funny as HELL. He has fallen.

To all you Stern fans, when was the last time you couldnt leave your car even though you have gotten to your destination????? The last time for me was the Kinnison days... Now he seems tired. I dont miss him.

I went with XM and Opie and ANthony. They are funny, and relevant. They discuss things that Im interested in, Video Games, movies, funny internet things.... they are  more in touch.... they are hungry.

Hell, I like Ron and Fez better than Stern... This is coming from a guy who owns all the stern propaganda.. he is done. let him die.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
unbreakable
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2006, 01:39:56 AM »

Quote from: "HankRaptor"
I went with XM and Opie and Anthony. They are funny, and relevant. They discuss things that Im interested in, Video Games, movies, funny internet things.... they are  more in touch.... they are hungry.

Hell, I like Ron and Fez better than Stern... This is coming from a guy who owns all the stern propaganda.. he is done. let him die.

What really hit me was when O&A started up in Chicago.  It really made me lose all respect for Stern: their afternoon show was always a preview of what Stern's show would be the next morning.  It was just disgusting how much he ripped them off, and then constantly worked against them getting any sort of recognition.  What a complete parallel to what he always says Imus did to him.

Having said that, it was pretty sad to see their stupid stunt get them yanked off the air.  I was listening to the show at the time.  It wasn't really their fault, they didn't tell anyone to do that, but just the same they didn't discourage it (which they should have).

I was talking to a coworker from NY who still listens to them on XM.  He said their show has gotten even better, since they don't have to be stuck doing the 'shock jock' thing anymore.  If I actually did pay for radio, I would way prefer to listen to their show.  They always had a great crew of comedians coming in all the time.

Is Jim Norton still with them?  That guy is hilarious.
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2006, 07:00:57 AM »

the local college radio stations are all i listen to.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2006, 02:57:29 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Still have Sirius and still listen to it every day. I love ad-free music.

Same here. Would never live without it. Funny thing I was a Stern fan, but now I never listen to him. This morning I heard the Who doing a version of "The Last Time" (song the Stones did) that I never even heard before.

I also like listening to all the old NY jocks that I grew up with like Carol Miller, Mark Coppola, Pat St. John. Reminds me of my youth biggrin
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2006, 01:22:37 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
Quote from: "HankRaptor"
I went with XM and Opie and Anthony. They are funny, and relevant. They discuss things that Im interested in, Video Games, movies, funny internet things.... they are  more in touch.... they are hungry.

What really hit me was when O&A started up in Chicago.  It really made me lose all respect for Stern: their afternoon show was always a preview of what Stern's show would be the next morning.  It was just disgusting how much he ripped them off, and then constantly worked against them getting any sort of recognition.  What a complete parallel to what he always says Imus did to him.

Having said that, it was pretty sad to see their stupid stunt get them yanked off the air.  I was listening to the show at the time.  It wasn't really their fault, they didn't tell anyone to do that, but just the same they didn't discourage it (which they should have).

I was talking to a coworker from NY who still listens to them on XM.  He said their show has gotten even better, since they don't have to be stuck doing the 'shock jock' thing anymore.  If I actually did pay for radio, I would way prefer to listen to their show.  They always had a great crew of comedians coming in all the time.

Is Jim Norton still with them?  That guy is hilarious.

Jim is still there and funny as HELL.. Yes they have gotten better no doubt about it.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: