http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 05:11:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Razgon's empire just got smaller...  (Read 827 times)
Isgrimnur
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2009, 01:04:25 AM »

Greenland has started down the path of self rule!

Greenland, with 58,000 people and only two traffic lights, both of them here in the capital, is now securing its place in the world. On Sunday, amid solemn ceremony and giddy celebration, it ushered in a new era of self-governance that sets the stage for eventual independence from Denmark, its ruler since 1721.

The move, which allows Greenland to gradually take responsibility over areas like criminal justice and oil exploration, follows a referendum last year in which 76 percent of voters said they wanted self-rule. Many of the changes are deeply symbolic. Kalaallisut, a traditional Inuit dialect, is now the country’s official language, and Greenlanders are now recognized under international law as a separate people from Danes.

Thrillingly, the Greenlandic government now gets to call itself by its Inuit name, Naalakkersuisut — the first time in history, officials said, that the word has been used in a Danish government document.
Under the new self-government agreement, Greenland will get half of any proceeds from oil or minerals. The other half will go to Denmark, to be deducted from the grant of 3.4 billion kroner, or $637 million, that it gives Greenland each year. The hope is that eventually the subsidy can cease altogether and Greenland will be ready for independence.

The prospect of Greenland’s benefiting from what may be a lucrative oil and mineral business raises an obvious question: What’s in it for Denmark?

“It’s not a question about money,” the Danish prime minister, Lars Lokke Rasmussen, said in an interview here. “This is a question of respecting Greenlandic people and giving them the right to decide their own destiny.”

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 04:41:33 AM »

Those danish bastards deserve to lose Greenland, considering they stole it from Norway in the first place. slywink
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 05:20:13 AM »

Denmark... a sinking ship?  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 06:06:27 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 23, 2009, 04:41:33 AM

Those danish bastards deserve to lose Greenland, considering they stole it from Norway in the first place. slywink

your just still angry that we gave you back your country a few years back ;-)

Quote from: CeeKay on June 23, 2009, 05:20:13 AM

Denmark... a sinking ship?  Tongue

Its a lot easier to conquer the world, when we dont have places like Greenland to keep trying to help...

anyways, its been the plan for quite some time now to let them govern themselves. Funny thing is, everything danish is now bad up there, despite the fact that we pay a LOT of money to them in generel help. Oh well...Not trying to turn this into a R&P discussion :-)

Now, our plans are nearly complete...2012 will be significant. The Mayans did try and warn the rest of you, but... you choose poorly and did not listen  ;-)

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 06:09:50 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 23, 2009, 06:06:27 AM

anyways, its been the plan for quite some time now to let them govern themselves. Funny thing is, everything danish is now bad up there, despite the fact that we pay a LOT of money to them in generel help.

That's because you keep asking them to kiss your royal pinky ring.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 01:01:46 PM »

anyways, its been the plan for quite some time now to let them govern themselves. Funny thing is, everything danish is now bad up there, despite the fact that we pay a LOT of money to them in generel help. Oh well...Not trying to turn this into a R&P discussion :-)

Unless there are some Greenlanders or their sympathizers around I think you're venting in Off Topic.  icon_wink

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 02:04:02 PM »

Funny thing is, everything danish is now bad up there, despite the fact that we pay a LOT of money to them in generel help. Oh well...Not trying to turn this into a R&P discussion :-)

Oh yeah, they hate the Danes (and the US) up there. I lived there for a year and I guess the Danes have a history of treating the Inuits really badly. Just by the base I was at there were some old Inuit homes, I guess the Danes/US told them to move away (from there sacred land) and they didn't, so they burned down the homes. They also blame westerners for bringing alcoholism to their people. I got the impression from a few speeches I heard while there that the Inuits want everyone gone sooner than later.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 03:47:40 AM »

Now Canada can take their navy ( a rowboat I hear) and invade and take over.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 07:13:35 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on June 24, 2009, 03:47:40 AM

Now Canada can take their navy ( a rowboat I hear) and invade and take over.

Lol....just to set the record straight, it's 2 row boats now and one of them now has an outboard motor. slywink  I think everyone is missing the real impact of this here; the "What 5 nations comprise North America" question will have to be removed from Trivial Pursuit games. And just in case anyone isn't aware of it, Canada -via some International 1st nations agreement- already runs many of the Education programs in Greenland. I've heard Danish was still spoken there until quite recently,  but then he died.  Tongue

Now if we could just convince the French to give up St. Pierre and Petite Miquelon Island Roll Eyes
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 07:21:16 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on June 24, 2009, 07:13:35 AM

Now if we could just convince the French to give up St. Pierre and Petite Miquelon Island Roll Eyes

just carpet bomb them with sticks of deodorant.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 07:39:22 AM »

Quote from: Lee on June 23, 2009, 02:04:02 PM

Funny thing is, everything danish is now bad up there, despite the fact that we pay a LOT of money to them in generel help. Oh well...Not trying to turn this into a R&P discussion :-)

Oh yeah, they hate the Danes (and the US) up there. I lived there for a year and I guess the Danes have a history of treating the Inuits really badly. Just by the base I was at there were some old Inuit homes, I guess the Danes/US told them to move away (from there sacred land) and they didn't, so they burned down the homes. They also blame westerners for bringing alcoholism to their people. I got the impression from a few speeches I heard while there that the Inuits want everyone gone sooner than later.

yeah, and a bit sad. A lot of the Inuits dont even speak their native language, only danish, especially the younger generation. Now, due to political reasons, every publication must be in Inuit writing and NOT in neither english nor danish, leaving a lot of the people in the dark.

Oh, and Danish was mandatory in school until now yes so everyone speaks it.

oh well - they'll figure it out eventually, I'm sure :-)

A new one
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 03:01:22 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 24, 2009, 07:21:16 AM

Quote from: kronovan on June 24, 2009, 07:13:35 AM

just carpet bomb them with sticks of deodorant.

lol...well since those islands most recent claim to fame and notoriety was locals smuggling cigarrettes into New Foundland, I say just cut off their supply of cancer sticks. smile
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 03:48:00 PM by kronovan » Logged
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 03:47:32 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 24, 2009, 07:39:22 AM

Yes I knew that, I only made my comment in kidding. smile

The arrangement they're talking about doesn't actually sound that much different from the self-government that already exists for Canadian Inuit living in Nunavat. The difference in Canada is there isn't plans for Nunavat to have full independence. In some sense it's a shame that such an arrangement can't be reached between the Greenland Inuit and Denmark, but I've heard 1st hand things are quite a bit different there from a friend that teaches in Nunavat and occassionaly also teaches in Greenland. Pehaps the much greater geographical separation was, and is, part of the problem.

I think as history unfolds, we might be surprised how successfully the Inuit language starts to take root again in Greenland though. I can speak from personal experience about my father's place of birth -Cariboo region of BC. As a child the Native American -Salish- population there was very impoverished, with high unemployement and alcoholism. Now they've intimately employed in the management of the local resources, some local businesses and the Salish language which was all but dead has been resurrected with some limited success. I wish I had some pictures to post of place signs in that language, as it's got to be the most phonetically convoluted thing I've ever seen. Even my father who knew a bit of the language as a child and speaks 7 other languages, can't pronounce them. eek

The funny thing about all of this is that I think some of the elder Danish emigres living in Canada may have their pride effected a bit by this. My step Granfather was Danish and I got to know a number of seniors in the Dania Home here. There was more than one occassion where they brought up the fact that Denmark is a NA citizen nation and thought it was funny almost no Canadians knew that. I Can't imagine those still living will be thrilled to hear about this.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 03:53:26 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on June 24, 2009, 03:47:32 PM

The arrangement they're talking about doesn't actually sound that much different from the self-government that already exists for Canadian Inuit living in Nunavat. The difference in Canada is there isn't plans for Nunavat to have full independence.

It sounds like the relationship between Canada and the U.S. We let Canada have a taste of self-government without actually having full independence.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 04:18:59 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on June 24, 2009, 03:53:26 PM

The arrangement they're talking about doesn't actually sound that much different from the self-government that already exists for Canadian Inuit living in Nunavat. The difference in Canada is there isn't plans for Nunavat to have full independence.

It sounds like the relationship between Canada and the U.S. We let Canada have a taste of self-government without actually having full independence.

Meh...only economically. It doesn't apply to language since most Canadians actually speak English as opposed to Ahmerrican. Tongue
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 04:28:53 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 24, 2009, 07:39:22 AM

Yes I knew that, I only made my comment in kidding. smile

The arrangement they're talking about doesn't actually sound that much different from the self-government that already exists for Canadian Inuit living in Nunavat. The difference in Canada is there isn't plans for Nunavat to have full independence. In some sense it's a shame that such an arrangement can't be reached between the Greenland Inuit and Denmark, but I've heard 1st hand things are quite a bit different there from a friend that teaches in Nunavat and occassionaly also teaches in Greenland. Pehaps the much greater geographical separation was, and is, part of the problem.

I think as history unfolds, we might be surprised how successfully the Inuit language starts to take root again in Greenland though. I can speak from personal experience about my father's place of birth -Cariboo region of BC. As a child the Native American -Salish- population there was very impoverished, with high unemployement and alcoholism. Now they've intimately employed in the management of the local resources, some local businesses and the Salish language which was all but dead has been resurrected with some limited success. I wish I had some pictures to post of place signs in that language, as it's got to be the most phonetically convoluted thing I've ever seen. Even my father who knew a bit of the language as a child and speaks 7 other languages, can't pronounce them. eek

The funny thing about all of this is that I think some of the elder Danish emigres living in Canada may have their pride effected a bit by this. My step Granfather was Danish and I got to know a number of seniors in the Dania Home here. There was more than one occassion where they brought up the fact that Denmark is a NA citizen nation and thought it was funny almost no Canadians knew that. I Can't imagine those still living will be thrilled to hear about this.

I dont understand what you mean by Denmark being a NA citizen nation? Anyways, I think its really fine that they get selfrule, we do refer to Greenland as a nation anyways here, and never really think about the fact that was governed from Denmark.

Also, I agree competely about the language - I'd hate to see any language disappear from the world, so thats a good thing. I just dont like the fact that it seems now that everything danish is evil. But of course, its a politcal statement. For instance, my company is to make a magazine for a large part of Greenland soon, telling citizens and visitors about Nuuk and the surrounding cities. The thing is, the magazine is not allowed to be in danish, even though we are probably the most profilic visitors - its to be in Inuit and English only. Oh well, it just seems silly to me.

Oh, and yes, the language is VERY hard to master, very few competent copywriters exists for it as an example

A new one
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2009, 04:40:07 PM »

Nuuk from orbit.

It was the only way to be sure.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2009, 05:46:05 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 24, 2009, 04:28:53 PM

I dont understand what you mean by Denmark being a NA citizen nation?

It's a figure of speech that's probably only used in Canada. Due to the colonial history of N.A. there's talk here of Charter nations and Citizen nations. Charter nations = the founding colonial powers (England, France, Spain, etc.) Citizen nations = present day nations with borders/territories within the N.A. continent with citizens living within them (Canada, USA, Mexico, France, Denmark). Since Greenland is considered part of the N.A. continent, Denmark is a Citizen nation even if that's mostly only true on paper. France is a bit unique, although Ceekay would probably prefer the term oddball. slywink It's officially one of the 2 founding Charter nations of Canada, thus French language and culture are constitutionally protected here. While at the same time, with St. Pierre and Petite Miquelon literally situated within kilometers of the Canadian border, it's also a N.A. Citizen nation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: