http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 12:47:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rambo  (Read 1484 times)
Simon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2008, 01:08:02 AM »

Heroes never die... They just reload. biggrin

I am cautiously optimistic about Rambo coming out this Friday and being any good. That hasn't stopped me from being all tingly and excited about it coming out though, First Blood is one of my all time favourite films (we even stopped in the town where it was filmed last year) and I've always been a fan of Stallone as an actor and as a person. I really enjoyed Rocky Balboa and thought it was a great bookend to the first Rocky, so I'm hoping Rambo will be at least as fitting and engaging as that. I am a bit worried though that maybe it wasn't released for reviews since none are on RT yet, and that's typically a bad sign.

Anyone else planning on seeing it?
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 01:10:52 AM »

it would have to get some really amazing reviews (from the people here - not critics) for me to consider spending the money to see it in the theater - however once it's out on DVD / Blu-ray - I'm sure I would add it to my netflix queue either way.

But to be fair - I also didn't see the last Rocky movie.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 01:12:52 AM »

Quote from: DarkEL on January 22, 2008, 01:10:52 AM

But to be fair - I also didn't see the last Rocky movie.

Which was excellent.

As for the topic, the trailer really turned me off. Just seems like ultra-violence is passe to me...
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 01:16:55 AM »

I'd get this on Netflix, but no way I'd go see this in the theater.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 01:36:31 AM »

I may see it in the theater.  I got a couple of free Rambo t-shirts that they were passing out- I figure I can wear them on laundry day.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 06:09:31 AM »

I predict....crap.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 12:29:12 PM »

Quote from: ATB on January 22, 2008, 01:12:52 AM

As for the topic, the trailer really turned me off. Just seems like ultra-violence is passe to me...

Yea, the violence in this one seems really gratitutous from the trailers.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 01:26:14 PM »

Yeah it does. And AWESOME!! I am totally seeing this when I get back from my trip (leaving Saturday so can't watch it this week).

To Simon: Do what I did-realize that you are going to need to divorce First Blood from this movie. FB was an action movie only as a wrapper for delivering what was a surprisingly poignant and important message about how America had been and was treating Vietnam vets (yeah, you know this already). The point is-it wasn't a good action movie, it was a good movie. Rambo 4 appears to have gone the other angle. Make an entertaining, violent, no holds barred action movie, that MIGHT have a message to offer. I am kinda treating it as a different series. You have First Blood, then Rambo. I think that will help me enjoy it for mindless fun.
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 03:48:25 PM »

Let the bodies hit the floor, let the bodies hit the floor.
unbreakable
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 03:53:30 PM »

If nothing else, maybe the movie can be a huge source of unintended comedy like "Rambo 3: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Taliban".
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 04:50:05 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 22, 2008, 01:26:14 PM

To Simon: Do what I did-realize that you are going to need to divorce First Blood from this movie. FB was an action movie only as a wrapper for delivering what was a surprisingly poignant and important message about how America had been and was treating Vietnam vets (yeah, you know this already). The point is-it wasn't a good action movie, it was a good movie. Rambo 4 appears to have gone the other angle. Make an entertaining, violent, no holds barred action movie, that MIGHT have a message to offer. I am kinda treating it as a different series. You have First Blood, then Rambo. I think that will help me enjoy it for mindless fun.

Yeah, I'm completely expecting a Rambo movie and not First Blood IV. From everything I have heard though Rambo is ultra graphic but there's more to it than what is shown in the trailers. Here's a Stallone quote from Ain't It Cool News about the trailer:

In today’s world of promoting films you have a very limited window to make the biggest impact. We opted for the action angle to drive the hardcore audience into the theater knowing they’re not going to be disappointed and we keep our collective fingers crossed that the dramatic portion will be discovered once they’re in the seats.

I'm expecting it to be ultra graphic (Stallone had to fight with the ratings board to get the R rating) but to also have those quiet Rambo moments and a message too. Again, he did such a good job with the last Rocky that my fingers are oh so very tightly crossed that he did the same with this one.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 05:45:52 PM »

I'm trying really hard to not want to see this, but I am failing.  It looks like too much fun.

gellar
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 05:49:19 PM »

Quote from: Simon on January 22, 2008, 04:50:05 PM

Quote from: Calvin on January 22, 2008, 01:26:14 PM

Yeah, I'm completely expecting a Rambo movie and not First Blood IV. From everything I have heard though Rambo is ultra graphic but there's more to it than what is shown in the trailers. Here's a Stallone quote from Ain't It Cool News about the trailer:

In today’s world of promoting films you have a very limited window to make the biggest impact. We opted for the action angle to drive the hardcore audience into the theater knowing they’re not going to be disappointed and we keep our collective fingers crossed that the dramatic portion will be discovered once they’re in the seats.

I'm expecting it to be ultra graphic (Stallone had to fight with the ratings board to get the R rating) but to also have those quiet Rambo moments and a message too. Again, he did such a good job with the last Rocky that my fingers are oh so very tightly crossed that he did the same with this one.

That is good to hear-I really hope so-I am absolutely going to see it when I get back from my trip. I also have never seen the new Rocky-I hope to see that soon.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 05:53:22 PM »

Looks good to me.  The Rambo franchise does not exactly have a high bar.  IMO, only the first one was a good/great movie.  2 and 3 were terrible.
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 03:46:23 AM »

If you cut through the excessive fanboyism of Harry's review it sounds completely kick ass to me. We're seeing it Friday, can't wait!
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2008, 04:38:27 AM »

People who only remember the II and III relatively lunk-headed Rambo movies should watch the original, more ambigous First Blood (1982), which really is a terrific action film with a dark view of how America treated Vietnam vets upon their return, and has Brian Dennehy as a great counterpart to Stallone. Or dig up David Morrell's original First Blood book, a far, far nastier story where the character basically goes on a rampaging killing spree at the end (toned down considerably for the movie, understandably so, which went more for pyrotechnics at the end instead of body count).

In retrospect, Stallone mumbling, "We just want... our country... to love us... as much as we... love it" was like Oscar material compared to some of his dialogue in later movies in the '80s. Just didn't appreciate it at the time. smile

I still remember in my American Studies class in college in about 1986, we watched Rambo: First Blood Part II (I think on Betamax videotape  icon_lol) and analyzed the politics and also did a body count. The body count was ridiculous. I think by the time we were done counting, everyone was laughing sort of with a mixture of horror and amusement.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2008, 12:34:53 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on January 22, 2008, 03:53:30 PM

If nothing else, maybe the movie can be a huge source of unintended comedy like "Rambo 3: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Taliban".

Oh yea, watching that flick now is almost political comedy.  *shakes head*

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2008, 01:01:56 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on January 24, 2008, 04:38:27 AM

People who only remember the II and III relatively lunk-headed Rambo movies should watch the original, more ambigous First Blood (1982), which really is a terrific action film with a dark view of how America treated Vietnam vets upon their return, and has Brian Dennehy as a great counterpart to Stallone. Or dig up David Morrell's original First Blood book, a far, far nastier story where the character basically goes on a rampaging killing spree at the end (toned down considerably for the movie, understandably so, which went more for pyrotechnics at the end instead of body count).

In retrospect, Stallone mumbling, "We just want... our country... to love us... as much as we... love it" was like Oscar material compared to some of his dialogue in later movies in the '80s. Just didn't appreciate it at the time. smile

I still remember in my American Studies class in college in about 1986, we watched Rambo: First Blood Part II (I think on Betamax videotape  icon_lol) and analyzed the politics and also did a body count. The body count was ridiculous. I think by the time we were done counting, everyone was laughing sort of with a mixture of horror and amusement.

Hi you! Look a few posts up for this discussion  icon_surprised
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2008, 05:08:46 AM »

Saw it today. Is it a good movie? Not really, for me it kind of sits there between II and III with shades of First Blood thrown in there in a few places. It's really short (almost too short), slow to start, the story is negligible, and it just sort of ends suddenly with a tacked on second ending to close the chapter on Rambo's journey. In many ways it's a letdown and certainly could have been a lot better.

Is it a good action movie? Gloriously so. It's a nostalgic old school, 80s throwback to when things were bloody and bloody fun. The last 30 minutes is so unbelievably over the top that you couldn't help but grin at the mayhem and carnage. It really felt good to see a true action film again, with a larger than life hero, that wasn't PG-13 and toned down for the masses to make a few extra dollars. It's loud, dumb, ridiculous, and there are more bad guys killed in this film than all of the Rambos, Commandos, Cobras, Missing in Actions, and Die Hards put together. This film brings back the body count, except this time you're counting the pieces. biggrin

It's definitely worth a ticket if you're a fan of either Stallone, Rambo, or straight-up action films.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2008, 07:09:25 AM »

Quote from: ATB on January 22, 2008, 01:12:52 AM

Just seems like ultra-violence is passe to me...

Seeing as how you play ultra-violent video games, this strikes me as hypocritical.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Kratz
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2008, 07:46:21 PM »

Quote from: Simon on January 26, 2008, 05:08:46 AM

It really felt good to see a true action film again, with a larger than life hero, that wasn't PG-13 and toned down for the masses to make a few extra dollars. It's loud, dumb, ridiculous, and there are more bad guys killed in this film than all of the Rambos, Commandos, Cobras, Missing in Actions, and Die Hards put together.

Seen Shoot 'Em Up yer?
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2008, 08:50:15 PM »

Quote from: Kratz on January 26, 2008, 07:46:21 PM

Quote from: Simon on January 26, 2008, 05:08:46 AM

It really felt good to see a true action film again, with a larger than life hero, that wasn't PG-13 and toned down for the masses to make a few extra dollars. It's loud, dumb, ridiculous, and there are more bad guys killed in this film than all of the Rambos, Commandos, Cobras, Missing in Actions, and Die Hards put together.

Seen Shoot 'Em Up yer?

Yeah, thought it was pretty good too. It's not the same though, the difference between trying to be clever or unique and just mowing bad guys down with a vengeance.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2008, 04:32:19 AM »

Simon nailed it......at least with the second part of the post  icon_wink

Fun movie  thumbsup

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2008, 11:49:50 AM »

I will not think it's a good movie. I will think it's freaking awesome anyway.

I'll be checkin it out on Wednesday.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: