http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 09:22:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions about HDTV  (Read 1143 times)
Harkonis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2006, 10:19:33 PM »

I am looking at my first hdtv purchase and see 2 I like.  Can I get some input on which one of these 2 you guys like and why?

This will be used for TV, Xbox 360 and PS2, possibly computer.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7705771&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat95100050004&id=1138085296639

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7725161&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat95100050006&id=1138087884961
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 10:29:18 PM »

Well I am not to huge on projection tv's so personally I would go with the LCD.  If you want a bigger screen and probably the best brand in tv's right now go with the Samsung.....  I know that probably doesn't help too much.  It all depends on personal taste and $$$

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 10:43:20 PM »

Quote from: papasmurff on November 18, 2006, 10:29:18 PM

Well I am not to huge on projection tv's so personally I would go with the LCD.  If you want a bigger screen and probably the best brand in tv's right now go with the Samsung.....  I know that probably doesn't help too much.  It all depends on personal taste and $$$

I agree, I am NOT a fan of DLP, so I would go LCD.

But I think the consensus with a lot of people right now is to wait until the LaserHD units arrive next year. They are supposed to be a lot cheaper, and a lot better.  Also, I think the other consensus is you should be looking for an HD unit at Costco, so you can refund it if there are any issues and not have to hassle. I'd never buy electronics at Best Buy personally.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 10:48:33 PM »

I'm moving into my first house in about a month (YEAH!) and need something to replace a 12 year old 27" TV. lol  Don't think I can wait another year.

I like LCD myself.  Since I have concerns on lag, especially with Guitar Hero, anyone have suggestions for a 46"-50" TV that would do PS2, 360 and HDTV with little lag and no burn in?
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 11:13:09 PM »

Sony Sxrd the best picture you can get right now for Lcd tvs.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 11:22:32 PM »

2 Pages of em here;

http://www.costco.com/Common/Category.aspx?ec=&pos=1&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=3316&eCat=BC|79|2341|3316

A buddy has this unit;

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11118301&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=

The picture looks fantastic on this one, the price is right!

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 01:07:31 AM »

I have a DLP/LCD screen and the picture looks just as good as my friends plasma, what is wrong with DLP? You can't hang it on the wall?

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Blonco
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 01:25:09 AM »

I just bought a 61" DLP Samsung.  Great picture.  Check out www.tvauthority.com before you by anywhere to compare prices!

You're going to hell with gasoline pants on!
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006, 06:15:32 PM »

while i think the Samsung has a great picture, word on the street is that they're some of the worst 1080p sets out right now with regards to 'gaming lag.'  i can't speak about personal experience, but i think that's definitely something i look into a little further before i buy a Samsung DLP set with plans to do a lot of gaming...

for what it's worth, i've had a Sony KDS-50A2000 for about a month now and it's absolutely fantastic.  the A2000 series are getting reviewed as some of the best rear-projection 1080p sets available, and the 50" A2000 can be had for just over $2000 if you shop around a little. the picture quality is unbelievable with HD content, DVDs look great with my upconverting player, and it even does a really good job with SD thanks to some good image processing.  playing xbox 360 on a 50" 1080p set has brought a whole dimension to gaming and i can't recommend the upgrade enough.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 06:23:34 PM »

I've got a great Mitsubishi 56" DLP.  The picture quality is AMAZING and it can handle 720p and 1080p nicely.  smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2006, 11:36:19 PM »

If you do end up looking at a Samsung DLP set do your research. They're notorious for input lag. Some models manage to not have it, but most of their DLP sets do and it's really noticeable.

There's nothing wrong with Projection TV's. In fact, they do, technically stilll offer better overall picture quality than any LCD or Plasma on the market, especially if you pay attention to black levels and color representation. The gap is definitely narrowing, but LCD and Plasma still aren't quite there. A CRT or Projection HD is, while generally huge and harder to move around, still the best option if you're out for overall value and picture quality. The fact that you can get a decent 50" Projection set for less than most 32" LCD sets if you catch a good sale is by itself enough reason to consider the projection stuff.

I have a 32" Samsung LCD that's awesome. I love it. But I only have that TV because I didn't have space for a big fancy 60" Projection set. I sit about 4 or 5 feet from my TV. A big projection set just wasn't feasible.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Blonco
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2006, 02:48:26 AM »

My model doesnt seem to have any sort of lag on it.  I know some of the older models had issues by this years model seems to work fine.  Great TV  at a great price.

You're going to hell with gasoline pants on!
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2006, 11:18:18 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on November 19, 2006, 01:07:31 AM

I have a DLP/LCD screen and the picture looks just as good as my friends plasma, what is wrong with DLP? You can't hang it on the wall?

DLP sets are more problematic (reliability) and to me, the added bulk, versus the modest/questionable "upgrade" (some see it, I don't) in picture quality, is not worth it. Give me a high quality LCD or Plasma set over a DLP any day of the week. I respect people liking DLP and I admit they look good (for the most part), but I am not big fan of them.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2006, 04:06:46 PM »

Quote from: pingwrx on November 18, 2006, 11:13:09 PM

Sony Sxrd the best picture you can get right now for Lcd tvs.

The Sony SXRD sets aren't really LCD, though - they use the LCOS technology that JVC also calls D-ILA. 

They do have an amazing picture and are reviewed pretty well, with reports of some color inconsistencies and banding being the only real issue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: