http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 09:14:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question for the musician's in the forum  (Read 1201 times)
rickfc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Why so serious?

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2011, 01:54:33 AM »

My birthday is coming up, and I'm torn between three different possible presents:

• iPad 2
  • Start getting more tattoos
  • A drum set

After playing Rock Band for a couple of years, I've been telling my wife that I want a real drum set. Here's where the question comes in: Is this a good starter set? I know next to nothing about drums, but I know that Tama is a good brand, and it also comes with cymbals. Thoughts?
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 02:10:05 AM »

Wait. You said musicians. Drummers are... different.

How do you know the stage is level?
The drummer drools from both sides of his mouth.

What do you call a drummer who gets dumped by his girlfriend?
Homeless.

What do you call a guy that hangs out with a bunch of musicians?
A drummer.

But seriously, I have no idea about drums. Just make sure that when you get the kit, get yourself some earplugs too. And thank me later. Good luck!

smile

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 04:27:10 AM »

I will say that the drums will probably be your best choice from those three.  I too know nothing about drummers other than this:

How do you get a drummer off your front doorstep?   Pay him for the pizza.
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 04:41:35 AM »

Something you might want to consider is an electronic drum kit. It's a little less bulky to store, you can use headphones if it's late or somebody is napping and you can run it through a pa if you play out.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 03:12:00 PM »

Drums are f'n loud... and you will need to practice a lot.

Those are expensive enough that what I would recommend is getting a used kit from a local pawn shop, craigslist, something for half of that price, buying a couple of lessons where someone teaches you how to tune them, and then see how much you get into it... if you really get into it, then spend double that on a good used kit and craigslist your starter kit.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 07:37:43 PM »

Quote from: Default on April 19, 2011, 04:41:35 AM

Something you might want to consider is an electronic drum kit. It's a little less bulky to store, you can use headphones if it's late or somebody is napping and you can run it through a pa if you play out.

Quote from: kratz on April 19, 2011, 03:12:00 PM

Drums are f'n loud... and you will need to practice a lot.

Those are expensive enough that what I would recommend is getting a used kit from a local pawn shop, craigslist, something for half of that price, buying a couple of lessons where someone teaches you how to tune them, and then see how much you get into it... if you really get into it, then spend double that on a good used kit and craigslist your starter kit.

Ditto both these comments....

I've bought almost all my current gear used and have spent a fraction of what it all would have cost new.

Acoustic drums and the loud factor once again. If you've ever been in a room with a heavy handed drummer, every snare hit will rattle your spine because it's as loud if not louder than firing a handgun. A 100+ db crack every second or so takes a toll on your hearing. I can't recommend enough, any form of ear protection for someone playing an instrument at high volume.

My hearing was beat up pretty good through my 20s so now I use the kind of earplug that has a small hole through the center, I can still hear things in the right timbre, but it's not turning my brain into mush.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 08:00:02 PM »

Quote from: kratz on April 19, 2011, 03:12:00 PM

+1.  A used kit + splurging for a few lessons > a fancy new kit.  You can typically get a used set for $200-300.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 08:44:29 PM »

Thanks for the advice, guys! I very much appreciate it.
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 10:04:15 PM »

+1 for ear plugs.  I played drums in high school and through college, was never any good but had fun playing.  Now I have the constant ring in my ear that will be there for life and have a hard time hearing people talk in crowded places.

Drums are a blast though and would love to pick up an electric set some time myself.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 10:30:25 PM »

Quote from: Bulletpig on April 19, 2011, 10:04:15 PM

+1 for ear plugs.  I played drums in high school and through college, was never any good but had fun playing.  Now I have the constant ring in my ear that will be there for life and have a hard time hearing people talk in crowded places.

Drums are a blast though and would love to pick up an electric set some time myself.

Talk to wonderpug. He has the Ion kit and he's looking to sell it.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 12:53:51 AM »

If you'd like to buy a new set and are just getting into playing, Sonor makes very good entry level sets, some with maple shells for $400-700.  They're probably the best bang for the buck for a good starter set.  For $500-600 you can pickup a decent maple shell sonor set with a hardware kit.  It's hard to beat that (rimshot).

http://www.dalesdrumshop.com/specials/82,sonor-drum-set-force-1007-black-w-hardware-new/

The guys at Dale's Drums are very good (and helpful), and will ship anywhere in the US.  I got my new tama set from them last year. 

My first set almost 25 years ago was a used tama swingstar.  Buying used is a great option, and you can pickup some really good deals if you know what you're looking for.  People get sick of hauling drums, hardware and cymbals around everytime they move if they're not playing. 

As a general rule, drums with maple shells are almost always a good safe bet for a nice sounding, quality set.  Maple usually equals mid-level or higher sets.  Sonor sells maple sets at entry level prices.  Other types of drum shells like birch are reserved for higher level sets or niche sets.  Processed wood shells can be hit or miss, and can warp and sound shitty depending on the quality. 

If you really want to learn how to play, acoustic drums are the way to go, starting with a decent snare drum.  Half the early learning process is discovering how to tune drums, while also learning good stick technique on acoustic drums.  You don't really get that with electric...especially the different stick and drum techniques.

Hopefully that helps!  Happy drumming icon_smile   
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 02:15:39 AM »

Thanks, roguetad! I'm looking at some used kits on craigslist right now, as I think kratz and Booner made a good point. Though my birthday isn't until the end of May, I'm going to start working on moving that up with my wife. biggrin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 03:43:04 AM »

The older you get, the more you appreciate good tone at low volume. At the moment, my favorite amp is an 8-10 watt Univox. My ears are somewhat damaged by working in a noisy environment when I was younger and I really don't want to aggravate the issue.

+1,000,000 on the earplugs.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 02:08:40 AM »

So, is this kit for $400 a good deal?
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 02:59:02 AM »

Well shit, i was going to vote for getting more tattoos

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2011, 03:56:37 AM »

I can't find any information about what he says they are, but my initial reaction is 'no'... Fender drums?  I didn't even think that was a thing... going to their website, I see that it's not at thing anymore... and when it was, it seems to be really low end, but I don't know... hard to tell from a picture.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2011, 01:26:22 PM »

Yeah, I'd be weary of a Fender set too, as well as Sabian B8 cymbals. I've seen B8s shatter fairly quickly by drummers who have any 'oomph' in their playing...but that's why they're only ~$200 for a full set of em. Not to say they wouldn't work for you as a beginner, but be aware that low-end brass may be less expensive, but is more likely to break.

I think you're on the right track by looking at 'full' sets with stands, pedals, cymbals, drum heads, throne, etc. etc...because outside of the shells, all that hardware can get really expensive in a hurry.

I also have to say I'm partly glad my local craigslist isn't as active as your's...I'd be in GAS hell.  saywhat

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2011, 02:41:53 PM »

Quote from: kratz on April 25, 2011, 03:56:37 AM

I can't find any information about what he says they are, but my initial reaction is 'no'... Fender drums?  I didn't even think that was a thing... going to their website, I see that it's not at thing anymore... and when it was, it seems to be really low end, but I don't know... hard to tell from a picture.

Quote from: Booner on April 25, 2011, 01:26:22 PM

Yeah, I'd be weary of a Fender set too, as well as Sabian B8 cymbals. I've seen B8s shatter fairly quickly by drummers who have any 'oomph' in their playing...but that's why they're only ~$200 for a full set of em. Not to say they wouldn't work for you as a beginner, but be aware that low-end brass may be less expensive, but is more likely to break.

I think you're on the right track by looking at 'full' sets with stands, pedals, cymbals, drum heads, throne, etc. etc...because outside of the shells, all that hardware can get really expensive in a hurry.

I also have to say I'm partly glad my local craigslist isn't as active as your's...I'd be in GAS hell.  saywhat

Thanks, guys. I was thinking I was going to purchase this set, but I think I'm just going to keep looking.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2011, 04:01:15 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on April 25, 2011, 02:41:53 PM

Quote from: kratz on April 25, 2011, 03:56:37 AM

Quote from: Booner on April 25, 2011, 01:26:22 PM

Thanks, guys. I was thinking I was going to purchase this set, but I think I'm just going to keep looking.
I'd also recommend staying away from a fender kit.  I've haven't heard anything good about them.  It would be like a guitarist buying a tama electric guitar.  It's just not natural or right.  I'm afraid it would cause a rift in the universe near your home.   

I also second the warning about Sabian B8s.  He probably bought them as part of a sabian cymbal pack.  There are some really good cymbal packs available, but that's the bottom of the bottom.  Cymbals can really make a difference in your sound.  Your neighbors will appreciate better sounding cymbals too.

I say keep looking on craigslist.  You're bound to run across a decent set with good hardware without having to upset the balance of the universe. 
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 04:14:45 PM »

Ouch on the (accurate) drummer bashing!    Seriously though, my vote is obvious.  smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 04:20:43 PM »

Well, I caved and got this set:

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tama-Imperialstar-5piece-New-Fusion-Drum-Set-with-Cymbals-Including-Free-10-inch-Splash?sku=583037

It was delivered yesterday  nod

I just have to finish putting it together and tuning it tonight.  headbang3 headbang dude Headbanging! Cabbage Patch

i r teh excite!
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2011, 04:53:27 PM »

Your poor, poor neighbors...  icon_biggrin
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2011, 04:57:51 PM »

Quote from: kratz on April 28, 2011, 04:53:27 PM

Your poor, poor neighbors...  icon_biggrin

They'll be alright. I live in a house, and I have a 5 year old. They ain't getting played in the middle of the night. Tongue
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2011, 06:43:43 PM »

Let the gear addiction begin. smile
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2011, 09:06:05 PM »

I want this....

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TD20SX/

But 7k is hard to squeak by the wife radar...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2011, 09:39:36 PM »

I'd love to have an electric set to write/get half-decent at playing with...but I can hardly afford to get the additional bass gear I'll be needing in the near future. I'll never be a true drummer, but I'd like to be able to sit down and demo an idea to fellow band mates with out sounding like crap, or actually record a beat to my recording software and not fool with those tedious drum maps.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2011, 10:01:08 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on April 28, 2011, 09:06:05 PM

I want this....

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TD20SX/

But 7k is hard to squeak by the wife radar...

DAMN  icon_eek Makes my $700 seem like peanuts...
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2011, 06:45:46 PM »

So, is there an easy way to tune drums? I thought tuning a guitar was a pain in the ass.  disgust
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2011, 07:23:50 PM »

My little brother is a drummer.  The worst part about growing up with a drummer is that band practice is always at YOUR house.  *shudder*

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2011, 02:02:33 AM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 10, 2011, 06:45:46 PM

So, is there an easy way to tune drums? I thought tuning a guitar was a pain in the ass.  disgust

Hey, it was tuned when I got it!
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2011, 02:13:57 AM »

Tuning drums is a pain in the dick. The only thing worse...listening to drums that are not tuned.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2011, 04:10:35 PM »

Yeah, it's an art...  one that I only vaguely understand... I just know when someone hasn't done it.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2011, 12:36:09 PM »

So Rick, now that you've had your kit for a couple weeks...how's it going?

Have the neighbors called the cops?  icon_biggrin
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2011, 01:51:43 PM »

Quote from: Booner on May 16, 2011, 12:36:09 PM

icon_lol nope, not yet. It's going pretty well, I think. A couple of years of Rock Band helped with some of the basics, so I'm not starting completely from scratch. I've been mostly playing along with songs that I know fairly well, and improvising here and there. I'm still trying to get tuning down (I have a drum dial en route which will hopefully help), and I'm slowly looking at lessons on onlinedrummer.com. I'm enjoying the hell out of it.  headbang
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2011, 02:56:30 PM »

thumbsup
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2011, 03:06:11 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 16, 2011, 01:51:43 PM

icon_lol nope, not yet. It's going pretty well, I think. A couple of years of Rock Band helped with some of the basics, so I'm not starting completely from scratch. I've been mostly playing along with songs that I know fairly well, and improvising here and there. I'm still trying to get tuning down (I have a drum dial en route which will hopefully help), and I'm slowly looking at lessons on onlinedrummer.com. I'm enjoying the hell out of it.  headbang

You might also check out http://www.freedrumlessons.com/

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2011, 03:31:52 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on May 16, 2011, 03:06:11 PM

Quote from: rickfc on May 16, 2011, 01:51:43 PM

You might also check out http://www.freedrumlessons.com/

Cool. Thank you, sir. Bookmarked.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: