http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 01:40:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about Gateway computer in Best Buy Black Friday ad  (Read 1129 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2004, 07:33:14 PM »

Hey all, I see that BB has a Gateway computer in their Black Friday ad for $979.97.   The specs are really good:  P4 3 Ghz, 1GB DDR RAM and a 160 GB HD.  It even comes with a printer and 17" LCD.  

Specs-wise, I know that's a good comp.  My question is, is Gateway a reputable company?  Is their stuff any good?  I've been building my own computer for years now, so I don't go and buy the name brands.  Can anyone comment on how well built their computers are?

Edit: This is for a Xmas gift for a non-gamer, so it doesn't need to be a gaming rig.
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2004, 07:46:23 PM »

I just bought my 3rd Gateway computer. The only problem I ever had was a lightniing strike.Not really their problem tho. :wink: I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if I needed one.

Ye Olde Farte
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2004, 09:44:12 PM »

The only thing I know about gateway is that most companies buy their parts wholesale the cheapest they can get them...and Gateway buy even cheaper stuff than that.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
JRC1978
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2004, 10:33:47 PM »

I did not like my Gateway personally.  I may have received a lemon though.  It gave me nothing but trouble after about 3 months.   If you want a quality, inexpensive PC, Alienware is now selling more affordable PC's instead of just gaming rigs.  They have some pretty good deals there.  They have PC's as low as $549 now.  A PC with the same specs as the Gateway will cost more with Alienware, but you will be getting better quality and much much better customer service.
unbreakable
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2004, 11:20:26 PM »

I always recommend Dell, especially if somebody is thinking about a Gateway.  Gateway may, buy chance, turn out decent model once in a while, but they sure do use some damn goofy parts in them.  

Dell tends to use standard and reliable parts (at least in my many experiences with them).  They may not be as bleeding-edge as hand-built or something from Alienware, but I feel they make very good, reliable machines.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2004, 11:29:39 PM »

Damn you Alienware... Let me trumpet http://falcon-nw.com

TOP quality, even better than Alienware. And largely ignored for some bizarre reason. Too expensive? Have a look at their Talon line!
none
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2004, 11:37:39 PM »

five years ago, i bought a p3 500mHz, 128mb RAM, voodoo3, 20gig hard drive, etc. from gateway and was very pleased with it.  it was completely stable and i had absolutely no problems with it.  man, that computer ran every game i installed on it without a hitch.  good times.

but that was five years ago.  i'm not familiar with their current products.  so, i guess this testimonial isn't quite that helpful...
JRC1978
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2004, 07:17:48 PM »

Cool Raven, I did not realize Falcon NW made lower end machines too.  So I second Raven, go with Falcon NW!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: