http://gamingtrend.com
August 23, 2014, 02:00:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Putting down a pet sucks  (Read 408 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: September 27, 2013, 08:47:29 PM »

Had to put down my cat this morning.  He's almost 18 years old and it finally got to the point we could tell he was miserable.  Add in the fact that he was constantly missing the litter box and puking all over, and it was definitely time for him to go.  This one was especially hard, as Saba was my first pet.  I'd had pets growing up, but they were all picked by my parents.  This dude was the first one that I had chosen.

Will miss you buddy.   crybaby

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 08:55:55 PM »

Sorry for your loss man. Our pets are family too.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 09:41:33 PM »

Took me awhile to click on this thread, losing a pet is so hard and my wife still hasn't recovered from losing our last cat.  Very sorry for your loss.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 10:39:54 PM »

Sorry for your loss, pets have way too short a life for how awesome they can be. 

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 10:45:19 PM »

You made the right call, hard as that is to do. Doesn't make it any easier to take, I know. You have my sympathy.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 11:42:56 PM »

We had to put our oldest cat down on Labor Day weekend. We've had to put 3 cats to sleep over the past six years. It just keeps getting more and more difficult. This recent one was my "stalker". 9/10 times when I would sit on the couch he would be on the couch within a few minutes butting his head against me to get on my lap and be petted. It almost got annoying. Now my lap is cold. Even after nearly a month I keep looking around when I am on the couch (like right now) looking for someone that isn't coming.

Sorry for your loss.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 01:47:34 AM »

Dang, so sorry to hear that mate. I went through it with a dog some months ago. My wife showed me a picture of him tonight funny enough.
The lump in the throat followed closely after seeing him again.

Don't let anyone rob you of how you feel. There is absolutely nothing wrong with grieving over the loss of a "pet" friend.

Bless you and your family.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 02:52:52 AM »

Thanks all.

This is the first time in my entire life that I don't have a "social" cat in the house.  We do still have another cat, but he spends 95% of his time hiding under our bed, and we only see him when he comes out late at night.  It's really strange not having a cat sitting on my lap or chilling on the ottoman when I'm around the house.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 03:09:54 AM »

frown Chewie is on the brink (14 yr old cockapoo - sweetest dog for kids ever) and our remaining cat Kenny (his older brother of about 18 was put down this summer) has destroyed two futon mattresses with urine.

It's harder when you don't have medical justification for it - but with Kenny he has crystals, is also on "mellow-pills" sometimes, and he has siezures. At 12, he's just not a good candidate for adoption. We've been teetering for months.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 03:25:37 AM »

Quote from: Purge on September 28, 2013, 03:09:54 AM

frown Chewie is on the brink (14 yr old cockapoo - sweetest dog for kids ever) and our remaining cat Kenny (his older brother of about 18 was put down this summer) has destroyed two futon mattresses with urine.

It's harder when you don't have medical justification for it - but with Kenny he has crystals, is also on "mellow-pills" sometimes, and he has siezures. At 12, he's just not a good candidate for adoption. We've been teetering for months.

That's tough.  It was an easy decision for our last kitty, as he literally couldn't move anymore.  Saba was a much tougher call though.  Saba vomited once or twice a day for the last year or so, but was otherwise healthy.  He started pooping in random places about a month ago, and it became more and more frequent.  Mrs. Gratch and I had already decided that once he stopped using the litter box, it would time for him to go.  Too much of a health hazard with the Wonder Twins in the house.  The decision was still tough, as he would have days where he was still very cuddly and active, but he had pretty much stopped grooming himself and we could tell it was hurting him every time he sat down (hips).  We finally just had to bite the bullet today, but I still feel awful about it.

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 04:11:31 AM »

Yeah that was the right call. Tough to do it though. Had to do it to our 21 year old cat who had gone deaf, cried all the time when awake, and had a difficult time getting around. Knowing it was the right thing to do helps but takes awhile to get over it all the same.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 06:21:04 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on September 28, 2013, 02:52:52 AM

Thanks all.

This is the first time in my entire life that I don't have a "social" cat in the house.  We do still have another cat, but he spends 95% of his time hiding under our bed, and we only see him when he comes out late at night.  It's really strange not having a cat sitting on my lap or chilling on the ottoman when I'm around the house.

When our main cat (Webster) got eaten by a coyote, we promoted our emergency backup cat (Iggy). Iggy was an outdoor cat who only came in for a couple of hours a day. But once Webster was gone Iggy stepped right into the main cat role and became a complete loverboy. Maybe your emergency backup cat will blossom now that the niche is open.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2013, 06:33:51 AM »

Sorry to hear this. It's never fun. I actually have two smallish tattoes of our first dog and first cat. They were just awesome. Remembering the good times gets somewhat easier after some time. The hurt unfortunately never goes away. Good for everyone that we don't think this way when we adopt a new animal. Just try and be positive. I've probably cried more over lost animals then any other time in my life.
dfs
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 01:37:05 PM »

Sorry to hear of your loss. 18 good years IS 18 good years.

In the picture you can see he was having trouble grooming himself.
That's a pretty sure sign.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 02:03:07 PM »

Sorry Gratch.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2013, 05:19:05 PM »

Sorry, Gratch. Handsome cat. Keep his memories close, and no doubt Saba appreciated the home and love your family provided.

I still think of my beloved Molly (age 16 in Sept. 2010) often, and keep a photo of her on my desk at work. I wasn't so torn up or cried so much in decades. It took a long time, but now I can think of Molly the cat and smile instead of feeling torn up again.

Everybody grieves differently. I've had friends adopt pets almost immediately after losing one, and others who never owned a pet again because they couldn't imagine dealing with the grief again. For myself, I attended a cat adoption event at a Petco a couple months after losing Molly, and my heart just wasn't in it. So just from my own limited experience, my advice is grieve and let one's heart heal before looking into a new pet.

By around May-June August 2011, I had room in my heart for a new cat, visited a couple shelters, and adopted JJ (age 5 then) because he was the first cat I'd met who seemed to "connect" with me, and aside from the occasional craziness bout - just this morning, he slashed an ankle as I walked by with one claw, like he was Garfield or something  icon_razz - JJ has been a wonderful pet.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 05:15:43 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2013, 06:23:08 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on September 30, 2013, 05:19:05 PM

Everybody grieves differently. I've had friends adopt pets almost immediately after losing one, and others who never owned a pet again because they couldn't imagine dealing with the grief again. For myself, I attended a cat adoption event at a Petco a couple months after losing Molly, and my heart just wasn't in it. So just from my own limited experience, my advice is grieve and let one's heart heal before looking into a new pet.

This is the first time in my entire life that I've only had one cat in the house.  We've always had at least two, and sometimes three.  While I certainly miss not having Saba around, I don't miss cleaning up cat puke or hearing him yowl at the top of his lungs at 3am.  smile

I'm sure we'll get another one eventually, but I want to wait until the twins get a little older and can at least somewhat defend themselves from kitten claws.

The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2013, 04:13:24 PM »

I feel your pain.

Yesterday we made the decision of putting down our dog, Betsy. She was only 7 years old, but half a year ago due to unknown causes her kidneys started failing. She fought for 6 months, but this week she rapidly declined and wouldn't eat anything anymore.

Me and my girlfriend bought her the first year we started living together. She's been with us through 2 moves, was there when we bought our house, and when we had our 2 kids. Now that she's gone, I feel like some part of my youth has ended as well. When we bought her I had just got a job and a car, and now I have 2 sons, a house and a long commute...

We are gonna miss you Betsy.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 04:17:54 PM by The Rocketman » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: