http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 09:29:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Protesting immigrants is a fruitful endeavor  (Read 1308 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 24, 2007, 07:33:20 PM »

See the news piece on this....

What I find so funny about this is :

a) The immediately obvious issue is their own use of the English language.
b) Assuming the immigrants can't speak English, what makes these people think they can read English?
c) For those not able to read English, shouldn't the words be written BIGGER and S P A C E D   W I D E R ?
d) How many people who read those posters say "Hey, you know what? Yeah, I'll just pack up and leave this land of opportunity for abject poverty! Thanks for enlightening me!"

Controlling the influx of immigration is something one protests to one's governing body, not to the parade of people proud of their landed immigrant status.

[edited for capitalization of the word "english" slywink]
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 07:40:03 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 07:36:49 PM »

When someone has "Learn to speak english" on their sign I suppose that wouldn't be a good time to talk to them about correct capitalization?
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 07:42:17 PM »

Those people really need to plan their signs better.  Shoddy work people!  Shoddy work!

icon_lol

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 07:50:12 PM »

Isn't USA found on immigrants?

VynlSol

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 07:53:55 PM »

Quote from: biggercup on April 24, 2007, 07:50:12 PM

I can't say for sure, but I imagine there are some immigrants that have USA on them.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 08:13:45 PM »

So many ironies, so little time.
WarPig
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 10:58:17 PM »

Quote from: VynlSol on April 24, 2007, 07:53:55 PM

I can't say for sure, but I imagine there are some immigrants that have USA on them.
It's supposedly very difficult to immigrate to Australia.  They have several requirements that have to be met by all before they can immigrate there.  I believe one of them is to get all the USA off.

Unbreakable: "Stupid is the new ugly"
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 11:42:07 PM »

Quote from: WarPig on April 24, 2007, 10:58:17 PM

It's supposedly very difficult to immigrate to Australia.  They have several requirements that have to be met by all before they can immigrate there.  I believe one of them is to get all the USA off.

And to be a criminal!

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 02:14:37 AM »

Quote from: WarPig on April 24, 2007, 10:58:17 PM

Wow! They have to get ALL of the U.S. off? Even with great technique, I can't fathom how much lube that'd take.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 02:21:12 AM »

javex enema should help with the shampoo residue and the flakes. Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 03:12:53 AM »

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Ye Olde Farte
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 07:33:17 AM »

What's wrong with english being the language of the United States? We need common ground to bring us together rather than divide us.

Do a search for Nation of Atzlan (sp?) and you'll find countless "protests" which have upside down American flags, Mexican flags and banners "THIS IS OUR CONTINENT!" (their fictional belief that much of the States belongs to Mexico and we shouldn't be here) Americans standing up for America? More power to them!

I think you'll find the vast majority of Americans know it's high time we get our broken immigration system under control. We just broke the 300 million mark and every year our population goes up by over a million. With the latest elections states like Arizona made English their official language because people are fed up with what's going on around them.
Here in South Florida it's no different. I just got a Tom Tancredo 2008 "For a SECURE America" bumper sticker which I put on my car with pride.

And please.. enough with the "immigrations" "undocument workers" and so on. They are ILLEGAL ALIENS. Period. They broke the law to get here when there are so many on the waiting list legally. Nobody should be rewarded for breaking the law of the land.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 07:41:21 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on April 25, 2007, 07:33:17 AM

Nobody should be rewarded for breaking the law of the land.

You're in the minority.

A USA TODAY/Gallup Poll taken last weekend found that 78% of respondents feel people now in the country illegally should be given a chance at citizenship.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2007-04-18-illegal-immigrants_N.htm?csp=34

Here's more food for thought - hopefully this will help illustrate why this isn't a black and white issue.  It's all gray, and needs nuance, not platitudes (and especially not empty rhetoric - guys like Tancredo won't ever be able to implement the sweeping plans they talk about).

http://dneiwert.blogspot.com/2007/04/immigration-and-family.html
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 08:22:19 AM »

Quote from: Brendan on April 25, 2007, 07:41:21 AM

You're in the minority.

50 immigrants in the Thunderdome!  50 enter, 1 leaves as a citizen!!!!!  CEEKAY IN 2012!!!!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 11:55:30 AM »

I wouldn't believe everything the polls say because every source is going to have a different result.

The article pointed out is obviously biased, it's not our fault ICE is "breaking apart families" if they didn't come here illegally, there would be no need for "raids" in the first place.

If anyone wants some good information on illegal immigration and the burdens it puts on American society and our taxes:

The costs of illegal immigration to the taxpayer are numerous, but the largest costs are education of their children, emergency medical care and incarceration for those arrested for crimes. Despite being ineligible, some illegal aliens also get welfare the same way they get jobs: with identity documents falsely identifying them as U.S. citizens. In addition, if they have U.S.-born children, they may collect welfare assistance in the name of those children. The annual net cost of illegal immigrants (after subtracting their tax payments) to the American taxpayer is likely to be more than $45 billion. Our recent study of the net fiscal “Costs of illegal immigration to Californians” estimated the partial costs at $10.5 billion in that state alone.

http://www.fairus.org/site/PageServer?pagename=iic_immigrationissuecenters7443

For me personally it all comes down to it's not our job to take care of the rest of the world. Whether it's policing the world and putting our troops in the middle of a civil war, sending billions of aid to other countries (when we have so many problems here at home) or opening our borders and letting everyone in, it's just not our job. Lets fix America first, then worry about taking care of the rest of the world.

And Rep. Tom Tancredo does a lot more than just "talk the talk", he actually walks the walk.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2007, 12:43:25 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on April 25, 2007, 07:41:21 AM

You're in the minority.

A USA TODAY/Gallup Poll taken last weekend found that 78% of respondents feel people now in the country illegally should be given a chance at citizenship.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2007-04-18-illegal-immigrants_N.htm?csp=34

Well the poll was taken at a rally for illegal immigrants (note: they don't specify any details, so I'm making the only logical conclusion)...  I am not a fan of when they throw out numbers but not the data behind them -- I'm VERY anti-illegal immigrant; however I'm in favor of illegals being given a chance at citizenship -- as long as they go back to their home countries and wait in line to get here like they are supposed to do...  Rewarding lawbreakers is insane.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2007, 12:48:46 PM »

OK well the actual data...
http://www.galluppoll.com/content/?ci=27307

42% of those 78% 'in favor' feel given a chance means 'require them to leave but allow them to come back if they meet certain requirements'...

Only 36% believe they should be allowed to stay in the US and become citizens if they meet certain requirements.  I'm frankly shocked that the number is that high for that!

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2007, 12:51:58 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on April 25, 2007, 11:55:30 AM

I wouldn't believe everything the polls say because every source is going to have a different result.

The article pointed out is obviously biased, it's not our fault ICE is "breaking apart families" if they didn't come here illegally, there would be no need for "raids" in the first place.

If anyone wants some good information on illegal immigration and the burdens it puts on American society and our taxes:

The costs of illegal immigration to the taxpayer are numerous, but the largest costs are education of their children, emergency medical care and incarceration for those arrested for crimes. Despite being ineligible, some illegal aliens also get welfare the same way they get jobs: with identity documents falsely identifying them as U.S. citizens. In addition, if they have U.S.-born children, they may collect welfare assistance in the name of those children. The annual net cost of illegal immigrants (after subtracting their tax payments) to the American taxpayer is likely to be more than $45 billion. Our recent study of the net fiscal “Costs of illegal immigration to Californians” estimated the partial costs at $10.5 billion in that state alone.

http://www.fairus.org/site/PageServer?pagename=iic_immigrationissuecenters7443

For me personally it all comes down to it's not our job to take care of the rest of the world. Whether it's policing the world and putting our troops in the middle of a civil war, sending billions of aid to other countries (when we have so many problems here at home) or opening our borders and letting everyone in, it's just not our job. Lets fix America first, then worry about taking care of the rest of the world.

And Rep. Tom Tancredo does a lot more than just "talk the talk", he actually walks the walk.

This is all very simplistic.  How do you stop illegal immigration with two of the worlds' largest borders on either side of our country?  Where do you get the funding to police the borders, especially with the USA involved in two other wars?  Where do you get the funding to increase the number of judges, court officals, buildings and officers so that people get their due process fair hearing before being deported?  Do you build a 20 foot high wall...the Berlin Wall of the 21st Century?  Do you plant land mines at the border?  Are you prepared for major inflation in market segments like new housing and agriculture due to increased labor costs?  Are you prepared for the international political fallout from closing the borders?

It's very interesting that Dr. Samuelson from MIT suggests that the wealthy benefit from illegal immigration while the poor in the USA suffer due to it.  So by reducing illegal immigration, it could possible that it would help to reduce one of the biggest issues in the country today - classism.  But it's not a simplistic issue and there will be a number of effects, both positive and negative, if we change the status quo.

However, I'm with JLu...Bush's plan to allow illegals some sort of avenue to legal citizenship is, in essence, rewarding lawbreakers.  There are millions of individual tales and some will simply be heartbreaking to apply a strict "go back home and apply legally" program.  But the alternative of rewarding lawbreakers just doesn't appeal to me in the least.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2007, 01:34:39 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on April 25, 2007, 11:55:30 AM

Wow. Somebody who thinks exactly as I do.

Only problem is that we'll never see something like this happen.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2007, 04:51:16 AM »

I'm something of a similar mind, but I very much care for all of humanity, not just fellow Americans.  But as above, this nation has serious problems that we'll need to sort out before we can go around talking about fixing the problems of others.  However, if we ever do fix things.

And by the same note, if all those people that are leaving mexico for the states, what if instead of fleeing their country they all banded together, formed a new political party, even took up arms to defend themselves from the political, military, and crime backlash.  They could change their own country for the better.

One thing that the immigrant situation is good thing though, is that it brings a sense of perspective.  Get too isolated from the world, or strive too hard to keep things "the same" and everything stagnates.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2007, 04:54:29 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on April 26, 2007, 04:51:16 AM

And by the same note, if all those people that are leaving mexico for the states, what if instead of fleeing their country they all banded together, formed a new political party, even took up arms to defend themselves from the political, military, and crime backlash.  They could change their own country for the better.
The US has helped Mexico defeat these sorts of groups and efforts. And I really don't think you want a nation at war on the border of your country. While I'd like to see a democratic, prosperous Mexico, it isn't going to happen without a lot of blood. And I can assure you, the US won't be on the "right" side of the fight.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2007, 04:55:20 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on April 26, 2007, 04:54:29 PM

Quote from: Turtle on April 26, 2007, 04:51:16 AM

The US has helped Mexico defeat these sorts of groups and efforts. And I really don't think you want a nation at war on the border of your country. While I'd like to see a democratic, prosperous Mexico, it isn't going to happen without a lot of blood. And I can assure you, the US won't be on the "right" side of the fight.

We often aren't.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2007, 06:22:03 PM »

Wow, I use the word "and" too much there.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: