http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 10:15:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pre-rendered game ads no more?  (Read 849 times)
happydog
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2006, 09:53:17 PM »

http://games.slashdot.org/games/06/02/22/199210.shtml

GamesIndustry.biz reports that Activision has been ordered not to air Call of Duty 2 ads in the U.K. that use pre-rendered imagery to sell the game.

Good, bad or what?

I love CG, but I don't like it when it is done in a way to make you think that it is in-game footage. Most of the time it is obvious that it is just CG and therefore just eye candy.

LiveTAG: happydog
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 10:05:49 PM »

I'm kind of happy that the CoD ads were singled out because they are pretty damn misleading in their presentation.  Especially the 'Big Red One' commercial that includes a stupid quote like "Best Graphics Ever."  They are pretty clearly trying to insinuate that the CG in that commercial was real time.  

And the sad part about the 360 version is that the ingame graphics are good enough that there was no reason to use CG.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 10:15:40 PM »

I don't get it... why legal pressure now?  Game ads have been "exaggerating" graphics quality since the dawn of the industry.  This is nothing new - look at the box art for Wing Commander.  It's obviously meant to give the impression of being in-game, but upon closer inpsection is simply too detailed for a 1990 game.  I don't recall anyone suing over *that* (or any of the dozens of other examples I could pull up)

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 10:48:31 PM »

Quote from: "happydog"
http://games.slashdot.org/games/06/02/22/199210.shtml

GamesIndustry.biz reports that Activision has been ordered not to air Call of Duty 2 ads in the U.K. that use pre-rendered imagery to sell the game.

Good, bad or what?

I love CG, but I don't like it when it is done in a way to make you think that it is in-game footage. Most of the time it is obvious that it is just CG and therefore just eye candy.

Every single time I saw that ad I thought "Man, Call of Duty 2 is so good looking...why are they bothering with the pre-rendered stuff?"  Good to see I wasn't the only one thinking it.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 12:00:01 AM »

I thought the graphics for The Big Red one were extremely lame.  Quit after 30 minutes because of it.  That and the fact that the gameplay was so very tired and overused.

But I agree that CG for a game like Call of Duty 2 is dumb.    The only ones that bug the you know what outta me are the incredible cg movies for games like the Japanese rpgs that have combat looking off the chart like action movies or something, but when you get in the game you see silly childish cartoons and the combat is turn based. ARRGGGHHH.   So damn misleading.  

Personally, just show me straight GAMEPLAY.   I don't even want to see cutscenes.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 01:01:52 AM »

Quote from: "Laner"
I don't get it... why legal pressure now?  Game ads have been "exaggerating" graphics quality since the dawn of the industry.  This is nothing new - look at the box art for Wing Commander.  It's obviously meant to give the impression of being in-game, but upon closer inpsection is simply too detailed for a 1990 game.  I don't recall anyone suing over *that* (or any of the dozens of other examples I could pull up)

Actually that is an in game screenshot. All graphics on that box were from in game shots. I remember that box well from the day it came out. I also own a mint copy of it. Even states that on the box smile Wing Commander was beautiful for it's day. Although its possible they fixed the jaggies on that ship in the foreground. Notice the background ones are less smooth.

I dont mind the CoD tv ads. I know thats all CGI. Its the ads like that game coming for the PS3 I dont like how they do. Im guessing those are CGI and nothing like in game. Yet many others think they are from the actual game.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 01:17:05 AM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
Quote from: "Laner"

Actually that is an in game screenshot. All graphics on that box were from in game shots. I remember that box well from the day it came out. I also own a mint copy of it. Even states that on the box smile Wing Commander was beautiful for it's day. Although its possible they fixed the jaggies on that ship in the foreground. Notice the background ones are less smooth.

Exactly - the front ship is obviously doctored - it's much higher res than 320x240 VGA is capable of.  Same thing with the WC2 ads - while the insets are probably real screenshots, the main one is heavily doctored - it simply didn't look *that* good smile  That kind of fine detail and shading wasn't in the actual game.  But it's definitely meant to give you the impression that that is how the game really looks.

And like I said, that's just one of dozens of examples.  How about all those arcade ports in the 80s, where the screenshots in the ads were of the actual arcade game or the best looking port, but you had to read the tiny print at the bottom to see "Screen shots represent the Amiga 500 version" or somesuch.

My point is, this practice is as old as videogaming itself - most halfway-knowledgeable gamers are fully aware of that.  I just don't see why it's an issue *now*
Speaker2Animals
Gaming Trend Reader

Diplomatic Kzin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 01:47:53 AM »

My own personal beef/freakout on doctored art was w/ the first Age of Empires.

As memory serves, back of the damn box showed the little troops in perfect beautiful complicated formations - all lined & formed up & raring to go to war in these huge, complex formations... Stupid, stupid me, I actually _expected_ to be churning out units who formed _those_.... yeah, right - hitting the AOE hard? @ 50? unit limit of jumbled epileptic dudes later, I literally contemplated returning it b/c that doctoring just irritated me so.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 01:57:42 AM »

God I loved Wing Commander.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 02:15:11 AM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
God I loved Wing Commander.

Yeah those 2 boxes make me all warm.

I think its a bigger issue now because graphics really look so much better now than back then. Of course no one beilved a game was gonna look like the box art. But not people can expect games to look like the box art in most cases. I think as i said that Killzone is the thing thats put it over the top in a way. I think its CGI, but many believe it to be in game footage. If it turns out Im right then many are gonna be disappointed. I just dont think a game..even if it had the visuals, would play like that..unfortunately.

Must...not..install.. Wing 1 or 2...must not...

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 02:02:59 PM »

Good thing this wasn't in place when FFVII came out.  Methinks the game wouldn't have sold nearly as well without the completely rendered CG ads.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 02:46:44 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
Good thing this wasn't in place when FFVII came out.  Methinks the game wouldn't have sold nearly as well without the completely rendered CG ads.

That's a VERY big part as to why the game sold as well as it did - all the idiots out there who thought that all the FMV was real ingame shots. That and the spamming of the airwaves in commercials.

Then, once they had the game, and found out they were lied to like you wouldn't believe, they decided to play it anyway.

Poof! Instant RPG revolution.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2006, 01:24:09 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Quote from: "Gratch"

That's a VERY big part as to why the game sold as well as it did - all the idiots out there who thought that all the FMV was real ingame shots. That and the spamming of the airwaves in commercials.

Then, once they had the game, and found out they were lied to like you wouldn't believe, they decided to play it anyway.

Poof! Instant RPG revolution.

I'll admit it, I was one of those idiots...and am damn glad I was.  I never had a NES or SNES, so I missed out on all the 'classic' RPG's.  I purchased my PS1 about a week before I saw a FFVII ad in a movie theater.  I was floored by it and immediately rushed out to buy the game.  After I got over the initial dissapointment, I was hooked.  Not only on that game, but on the RPG genre as a whole.

Honestly, if it wasn't for those ads I probably never would have played an RPG and missed out on some truly incredible games.  So 'Thank You' to Square's marketing department, as it got at least one person addicted to the genre.  smile

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: