http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 08:33:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prates of the Carribean 2: Dead mans chest  (Read 1646 times)
only1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: July 08, 2006, 10:11:09 PM »

ok... it was a dark and stormy night. No, seriously... it freaking POURED here today, and it was really cloudy when we went to see it (with my brother's family)... and where did we see it???

THE DRIVE-IN!!! YAY!

I had my Sandisk MP3 player with me, which has FM radio... and since the drive-in broadcasts the audio over FM signal, I used those and it was pretty freaking cool.

So the movie. VERY accessible if you haven't seen the first movie. I've only seen it a couple times and it's been a long, long tiume since I've seen it, so I really don't remember too much of it.

The story was really good. The SFX was incredible. With the first movie's evil crew being rather gory skeletons, Davey Jones' crew was rather incredible looking... especially the first mate.

Much like the first movie, it's a great mix of action, comedy... hits all points.

There is one thing, and maybe it's just me. I knew it would be the 2nd movie of 3. I was wondering if they wuold close out the story of this one and leave something for the 3rd, or whether it would be a full blown Empire Strikes Back and leave nothing resolved. Definitely ESB.
But the one thing, like I said, I was wondering how it would be done, so I kept looking for that cliffhanger moment. I saw SEVERAL that I thought it could have been. Probably a good half hour before the end (and it's paced well enough so you think you are at the end)... but it kept going. It did kind of drag, but again, that could have been my anxiety in looking for the cliffhanger.

And the cliffhanger????

D-A-M-N!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's really about the only thing you'll have needed to see the first mvvie for... but it's an awesome payoff.

Now I juet need the next year to go by so I can see the 3rd installment.

One thing.. I am going to see this again... probably next week. Since we were at the drive-in, the kids were kind of restless and moving around... and I had to take my nephew to the bathroom (still had those earphones, though... so I still got to hear it!). But I'm gonna rewatch the first before going to see it again...

one last thing. I had a friend try to go see it tonight. He was aiming for a 6:20 showing and got to the theater around 5. It was already sold out and the 3 showing after it were sold out. This could just be THE movie of the summer...

"Beer- the cause of, and solution to, all of lifes little problems."
helot2000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 10:47:22 PM »

I second that review.  Great opening, great middle, perfect cliffhanger ending.  If you liked the first, I believe you will love this one.  

Between my family and the family we went with, everyone from kids to the adults  LOVED IT and we were talking about seeing it again once the crowds thin out in a month or so.  It screamed blockbuster.

Saving the world one post at a time.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 11:16:18 PM »

Quote from: "helot2000"
If you liked the first, I believe you will love this one.

Eh, I really liked the first (though not quite loved) and found this one only passable.  It was overbloated all around.  I rewatched the first one last night after viewing DMC, it is definitely the far superior film in my eyes.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 03:17:55 AM »

Awesome movie, IMHO. It's missing a certain 'magic' that the first one had, but it's still a great flick.

And it's gonna break every record in the book, IMHO. From Rotten Tomatoes:
"It looks like this summer will come away with a mark in the record books, if estimates hold. "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest," the sequel to 2003's surprise smash hit "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl," grossed $55.5M on Friday, according to BoxOfficeMojo.com. It's the biggest single-day gross ever, besting the $50M single-day debut of last year's "Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith."

I could tell that it's gonna be a record breaker though, even without the news bit above. Why? As I was driving to the mall to watch this, the closest time sold out. As I was in line to get a ticket, the next closest time sold out.

So in the end I waited about an hour (thankfully inside) just to get a good seat to see the movie. Definitely worth it though.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 05:18:39 AM »

Due to an odd series of events, I've seen it twice now.  Ultimately, I'm glad I did.

Came out of last night's showing disappointed with the film.  I had several gripes - Jones' crew design, while inventive, was distracting; not enough humor; only getting half of the story; the sound mix often drowned out the dialogue; and several others.  Not the least of which was a teenage asshat who sat diagonally in front of me and text-messaged throughout the film.  Just as I'd get into the story, this punk would open his large-screened halogen-worthy display, check a message and write another one.  Not discretely in his lap, trying to cover the luminescence, but up in the air for half the known world to see.  During a 150 minute movie, this happened 20-30 times.  I said something after the film (didn't want to cause a scene during the film and ruin it for those that weren't constantly being distracted), but from the looks he and his overpriveledged crew gave me, I'm pretty sure it fell on deaf ears.

Luckily, I got the chance to see the film again this evening as part of Fireball's birthday celebration.  Tonight, I thoroughly enjoyed the film.  The pacing felt better, I was more into the story, the sound mix was spot on... it was a delightful little film.  Right now, I can't say whether I like it better than the first as we haven't seen the whole story.  But I can say that from what we've seen so far, it's a worthy sequel to one of the biggest suprises of the past decade, and one of my most cherished films.

Between Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, Spiderman 3, and Transformers the summer of 2007 is starting to shape up very nicely.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 06:52:47 AM »

well I just got done watching it, and I guess I'll work on my spoiler free review.

I came in half expecting the movie to be good, but usually I'm disappointed when I come out fo a theatre.

Halfway through this movie I got a smile on my face, and when they have the fight scene that started and ende don the sand, I had a smile that didnt go away.  Everything good about the first one was done better in this one.  better story, more interesting twists and a bevy of questions for the third installment.

normally I speak kindly of films and say they were good, but this one ranks right up there with my favorite movies of all time.  It's never going to be a serious thinker, but for entertainment value, they packed a ton of it into this file.  very few should ever walk out of this theatre disappointed with the movie they see.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006, 01:39:35 PM »

Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"
Just as I'd get into the story, this punk would open his large-screened halogen-worthy display, check a message and write another one.  Not discretely in his lap, trying to cover the luminescence, but up in the air for half the known world to see.  During a 150 minute movie, this happened 20-30 times.

I wonder if it would've been legal for you to snatch that thing out of his hands and see how aerodynamic it is. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 04:06:48 PM »

Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"
Between Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, Spiderman 3, and Transformers the summer of 2007 is starting to shape up very nicely.

You're also leaving out Harry Potter 5 in June. smile

I'll post my impressions a little later but for the most part this sums up my thoughts:

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 12:59:59 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

+1!  Best movie of the year so far!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 01:25:07 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Quote from: "helot2000"
If you liked the first, I believe you will love this one.

Eh, I really liked the first (though not quite loved) and found this one only passable.  It was overbloated all around.  I rewatched the first one last night after viewing DMC, it is definitely the far superior film in my eyes.

FAR superior.  The 2nd one was merely ok, I think.  Considering how I much I was looking forward to it, I couldn't help but feel disappointed.

gellar
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2006, 08:33:10 PM »

I posted my thoughts on the movie on my personal site at http://www.geekward.com/articles/2006/07/07/pirates-impressions

But I am going to be taking the wife to see it this weekend and I'm hoping that it'll be better the second time around.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 04:14:28 AM »

Ask A Ninja Reviews POTC: Dead Man's Chest. Brilliantly, I might add. I loved the movie but damn this is funny commentary. biggrin

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2006, 08:14:40 AM »

I'm a little late to the party, but I wanted to make sure I saw the movie in an annoyance-free environment.  

In a few words, "I loved it!".  Maybe it ran a tad long, but it never had me checking my watch.  I was entertained the whole way through.  If anything, some of the character moments weren't executed as well as they could have been, but it didn't really bother me.

As for the ending :

Spoiler for Hiden:
Even though I had heard news about Barbossa being in the film, it didn't stop me from having a big shit-eating grin on my face for the end reveal.  That was awesome.

One question I was wondering about was :
Spoiler for Hiden:
why didn't Capt. Jack destroy Davy Jones' heart when he had it in his hands?  Wouldn't he be free from his debt?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2006, 09:56:10 AM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
why didn't Capt. Jack destroy Davy Jones' heart when he had it in his hands?  Wouldn't he be free from his debt?

Well, I suspect...

Spoiler for Hiden:
Jack, being a brigand at heart, wanted to use it as a bargaining chip

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2006, 11:13:21 AM »

You really liked that movie :o ?
I saw it yesterday and it was the worst piece of crap i have seen in a long time, toooooooo loooooooong tooooooo booooooooooring.

The first one was very good but this second one sucked hairy balls
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2006, 01:52:00 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Spoiler for Hiden:

Well, I suspect...

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
He actually says why once they have the heart. "If Jones is dead, who's to call off his terrible beastie?"

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2006, 04:48:06 PM »

Quote from: "Maggot"
You really liked that movie :o ?
I saw it yesterday and it was the worst piece of crap i have seen in a long time, toooooooo loooooooong tooooooo booooooooooring.

The first one was very good but this second one sucked hairy balls

So, you prefer MechAssault over Chromehounds?   :lol:

I actually liked this movie more than the first, but wouldn't have enjoyed it as much if I hadn't seen the first film (lots of little nods here and there, as well as a few key plot points that are more enjoyable when you know the history behind them).

Fortunately, there was nothing even close to as pointless as the unnecessarily over-extended undead-versus-undead fight scene from the first film.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2006, 06:17:55 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Spoiler for Hiden:

Well, I suspect...

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
He actually says why once they have the heart. "If Jones is dead, who's to call off his terrible beastie?"

OK, that makes more sense now.  smile

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: