http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 09:51:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Post your Ride! Car pics! [56k Warning]  (Read 8934 times)
Geezer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 20, 2010, 12:46:40 AM »

Quote from: Eightball on August 19, 2010, 11:41:22 PM

If I was in that price range, I'd have a hard time not choosing the Aston Martin Vantage.  Good lord that is one gorgeous looking car.

Funny -- Just this evening I was at the local MB dealer exploring a trade on my Vantage for the aforementioned AMG.  The Vantage is achingly, wonderfully beautiful, but the truth is that it just doesn't drive great.  The engine sounds incredible, but doesn't like to rev.  The interior is opulent, but not comfortable.  The suspension is hard, but not confidence-inspiring.   If I was content to stare at it in my garage, there's absolutely nothing better, but the car is compromised as a sports car and compromised as a GT.  Some cars, like a Viper, for example, are bigger cars but drive small (which is good).  The Vantage is small, but drives big, which for me is a negative.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 20, 2010, 01:05:15 AM »

Quote from: Geezer on August 20, 2010, 12:46:40 AM

If I was in that price range, I'd have a hard time not choosing the Aston Martin Vantage.  Good lord that is one gorgeous looking car.

Funny -- Just this evening I was at the local MB dealer exploring a trade on my Vantage for the aforementioned AMG.  The Vantage is achingly, wonderfully beautiful, but the truth is that it just doesn't drive great.  The engine sounds incredible, but doesn't like to rev.  The interior is opulent, but not comfortable.  The suspension is hard, but not confidence-inspiring.   If I was content to stare at it in my garage, there's absolutely nothing better, but the car is compromised as a sports car and compromised as a GT.  Some cars, like a Viper, for example, are bigger cars but drive small (which is good).  The Vantage is small, but drives big, which for me is a negative.

Heh.  All I said is that it's gorgeous.  Car like that is a work of art more than it is just a car.

I'm getting brainwashed by watching Top Gear I think!
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 20, 2010, 01:20:37 AM »

Quote from: Geezer on August 18, 2010, 08:26:44 PM

Quote from: Jag on August 18, 2010, 02:14:20 PM

My last 2 cars have been 3 Series (the faster model) and I'm starting to think about getting something else, except I just love everything about the car. How does the G37x compare?

They drive pretty differently.  For previous gen cars I would have said that the Infinity's engine has more of a torquier feel to it, but with the newer 335s there's plenty of grunt.  On the whole, these days, the 3 series has a very light, agile feel that the Infinity lacks.  OTOH,I was looking at the new 335is last weekend and I was amazed by the spartan interior.  I mean, 3s have always been, er, "functional," but you have to appreciate that aesthetic I think.  The Infiniti, by contrast, could be considered a nicer place to sit.

when i started thinking about the G37, i had a lot of people telling me that i should consider the 335 as an alternative as it really is the closest competitor.  they are both very similar when you look at their specs on paper (300hp/300lb-ft of torque in the 335xi vs 330hp/275lb-ft of torque for the G37x), but everyone that has driven both pretty much agrees that they feel quite a bit different.  i did look into the BMW a little, but i never actually drove one because the supposed extra performance just wasn't important enough for me when you look at other factors.  first of all, i just like the exterior appearance of the G37 more...nothing but personal preference there, but it was a factor in my decision.  as Geezer hinted, the 335 interior is very bare-bones compared to that of the G37.  many features that are standard from Infiniti are expensive options from BMW, and the way they've integrated technology into the G37 dash and console is very functional while still looking good (unlike the 335 in my opinion).  i know several people who own BMWs and i've heard a lot of complaints about the iDrive system's lack of usability, while i happen to think the Infiniti system is very slick and intuitive.  everyone has their own preference for the interior, but i think the G37 beats the 335 by miles when it comes to aesthetics, comfort, and usability.  

the 335 has a long reputation of being a great car, but any increase in performance just wasn't enough to pull me away from the more stylish and functional G37...especially when you can get the Infiniti for a much lower price.  i was looking strictly at new cars, and a 2010 335xi configured with all the same options as my G37x would have cost me an additional $10k over what i paid for my car.  there just isn't enough about the BMW to make it worth that extra cost in my opinion...not when the G37 is so nice inside and out, and i'll never drive either hard enough to notice the slight performance difference.

interestingly, a friend of mine was car shopping at the same time as me, and he was deciding between buying a used 335i or G37.  he really liked the G37, but ultimately went with the 335i after his test drive...said the driving experience was enough to make up his mind.  to each his own...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 01:22:41 AM by disarm » Logged

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 20, 2010, 01:26:02 AM »

Quote from: disarm on August 20, 2010, 01:20:37 AM

interestingly, a friend of mine was car shopping at the same time as me, and he was deciding between buying a used 335i or G37.  he really liked the G37, but ultimately went with the 335i after his test drive...said the driving experience was enough to make up his mind.  to each his own...

I was going to post this. Driving the car made up my mind. It was the only time that I walked away from a car and was looking forward to when I could drive it again. It's also the reason I have such a hard time picking a different model. I have a bare bones 335i (no idrive) and I just don't care about anything but how much fun it is to drive.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 20, 2010, 01:57:57 AM »

Quote from: Eightball on August 20, 2010, 01:05:15 AM

Heh.  All I said is that it's gorgeous.  Car like that is a work of art more than it is just a car.

Insurance is a BITCH on the Aston.  There's no way I could make sense out of paying it.

Sadly I think the leader in the clubhouse is a BMW 135i with the new 7 speed flappy paddle gearbox.

There's GOTTA be a better (less douchey) option.
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 20, 2010, 02:28:31 AM »

Quote from: gellar on August 20, 2010, 01:57:57 AM

If I was in that price range, I'd have a hard time not choosing the Aston Martin Vantage.  Good lord that is one gorgeous looking car.

Funny -- Just this evening I was at the local MB dealer exploring a trade on my Vantage for the aforementioned AMG.  The Vantage is achingly, wonderfully beautiful, but the truth is that it just doesn't drive great.  The engine sounds incredible, but doesn't like to rev.  The interior is opulent, but not comfortable.  The suspension is hard, but not confidence-inspiring.   If I was content to stare at it in my garage, there's absolutely nothing better, but the car is compromised as a sports car and compromised as a GT.  Some cars, like a Viper, for example, are bigger cars but drive small (which is good).  The Vantage is small, but drives big, which for me is a negative.

Heh.  All I said is that it's gorgeous.  Car like that is a work of art more than it is just a car.

Insurance is a BITCH on the Aston.  There's no way I could make sense out of paying it.

Sadly I think the leader in the clubhouse is a BMW 135i with the new 7 speed flappy paddle gearbox.

Shelby GT 500? Cooper JCW?  Boxster?
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 20, 2010, 02:58:22 AM »

Quote from: Thin_J on August 19, 2010, 05:29:24 PM

Quote from: Daehawk on August 19, 2010, 04:21:42 PM

Preppies *points*

As a fellow mustang driver... I would trade my GT for a G37x in a heartbeat if I could afford it right now. It's quite simply a better car.

I've driven a Mustang, too.  My 3 series Bimmer easily blows the Mustang out of the water, as would any of the other cars listed recently in the thread.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 20, 2010, 03:10:39 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on August 20, 2010, 02:58:22 AM

I've driven a Mustang, too.  My 3 series Bimmer easily blows the Mustang out of the water, as would any of the other cars listed recently in the thread.
Depends on the Mustang, of course. But yes, generally the more you pay the more performance you get slywink.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 20, 2010, 03:47:33 AM »

Insurance is a BITCH on the Aston.  There's no way I could make sense out of paying it.

I like the idea of the 1 series a lot...but what I don't like is how tall it is compared to the 3 series.  It's freaking bizarre.
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: August 20, 2010, 04:13:25 AM »

You guys have entirely too much money.

I will read jealously and watch Top Gear to dream.

Jag

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 20, 2010, 02:00:04 PM »

Quote from: Eightball on August 20, 2010, 03:47:33 AM

If I was in that price range, I'd have a hard time not choosing the Aston Martin Vantage.  Good lord that is one gorgeous looking car.

Funny -- Just this evening I was at the local MB dealer exploring a trade on my Vantage for the aforementioned AMG.  The Vantage is achingly, wonderfully beautiful, but the truth is that it just doesn't drive great.  The engine sounds incredible, but doesn't like to rev.  The interior is opulent, but not comfortable.  The suspension is hard, but not confidence-inspiring.   If I was content to stare at it in my garage, there's absolutely nothing better, but the car is compromised as a sports car and compromised as a GT.  Some cars, like a Viper, for example, are bigger cars but drive small (which is good).  The Vantage is small, but drives big, which for me is a negative.

Heh.  All I said is that it's gorgeous.  Car like that is a work of art more than it is just a car.

Insurance is a BITCH on the Aston.  There's no way I could make sense out of paying it.

I like the idea of the 1 series a lot...but what I don't like is how tall it is compared to the 3 series.  It's freaking bizarre.

The interior is smaller though right? I need something that is at least kid tolerable. The wife is picking up the X5 this week for the bus driving. We are officially a 2 bimmer family :gag:
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 20, 2010, 03:24:45 PM »

Quote from: Jag on August 20, 2010, 02:00:04 PM

I like the idea of the 1 series a lot...but what I don't like is how tall it is compared to the 3 series.  It's freaking bizarre.

The interior is smaller though right? I need something that is at least kid tolerable. The wife is picking up the X5 this week for the bus driving. We are officially a 2 bimmer family :gag:

Naw.   A 1er is fine for a family, especially if you have a bus on the side slywink

Seriously - my best friend is getting ready to get one and he has figured out that both his wife's wheelchair and his daughter's carseat will be accommodated just fine.  He's coming from a VW R32, FWIW, and feels the 1 will have enough space to be as practical as the Golf.

Also, Kudos for not getting a soulless, nose-heavy Audi.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: August 20, 2010, 05:47:14 PM »

I thought the 3 was too small for a car seat, I can't imagine the 135 working. Are you guys 5'2"? It's a tight squeeze in my G37 sedan with two car seats. I had to turn off the auto-pushback on the drivers seat when you turn the car off as it was crushing my 4 year old's feet. The 3 feels even smaller to me.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 20, 2010, 08:31:41 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on August 20, 2010, 05:47:14 PM

I thought the 3 was too small for a car seat, I can't imagine the 135 working. Are you guys 5'2"? It's a tight squeeze in my G37 sedan with two car seats. I had to turn off the auto-pushback on the drivers seat when you turn the car off as it was crushing my 4 year old's feet. The 3 feels even smaller to me.

The 3 has plenty of room for car seats, both front facing and rear facing. I know the older model 3s had smaller interiors, but the newer 3s are very roomy even for adults.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 06, 2010, 12:43:52 AM »

Quote from: Geezer on August 20, 2010, 03:24:45 PM

Quote from: Jag on August 20, 2010, 02:00:04 PM

I like the idea of the 1 series a lot...but what I don't like is how tall it is compared to the 3 series.  It's freaking bizarre.

Naw.   A 1er is fine for a family, especially if you have a bus on the side slywink

Seriously - my best friend is getting ready to get one and he has figured out that both his wife's wheelchair and his daughter's carseat will be accommodated just fine.  He's coming from a VW R32, FWIW, and feels the 1 will have enough space to be as practical as the Golf.

Also, Kudos for not getting a soulless, nose-heavy Audi.

Test drove both the 135i (DCT) and 335i (crappy steptronic automagic) today.  Immediately smitten by the 135i - the DCT on that thing is phenomenal and the steering feel is about perfect.  Not as fast as my STi, but miles more comfortable and, most importantly, QUIET.  Drove the 335i after and didn't like it nearly as much.  The ride was slightly better, but everything else was worse.  The transmission was not at all impressive.

Dealer offered me at least Fair Blue Book value for my STi (so that'd be around $16K) and would sell me an ordered 135i at near invoice.  I think I'm going to make the order later this week.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 06, 2010, 03:49:56 AM »

Quote from: gellar on September 06, 2010, 12:43:52 AM

Test drove both the 135i (DCT) and 335i (crappy steptronic automagic) today.  Immediately smitten by the 135i - the DCT on that thing is phenomenal and the steering feel is about perfect.  Not as fast as my STi, but miles more comfortable and, most importantly, QUIET.  Drove the 335i after and didn't like it nearly as much.  The ride was slightly better, but everything else was worse.  The transmission was not at all impressive.

Dealer offered me at least Fair Blue Book value for my STi (so that'd be around $16K) and would sell me an ordered 135i at near invoice.  I think I'm going to make the order later this week.

Nice.  What color?
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 06, 2010, 05:06:59 PM »

Quote from: Eightball on September 06, 2010, 03:49:56 AM

Nice.  What color?

Space Grey or White, still trying to decide.  However I am going to try a lowball offer on the Sedona Red they have in stock. 
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 08, 2010, 07:29:43 PM »

Quote from: gellar on September 06, 2010, 05:06:59 PM

Nice.  What color?

Space Grey or White, still trying to decide.  However I am going to try a lowball offer on the Sedona Red they have in stock. 

I have a white car.  It's a pain in the ass to keep it clean.

Also, I remember bringing up the 135 in IRC, but you were all about "may as well just get the 335."  But the test drive convinced you otherwise.  And, did you drive the 335d?  My dad has one, and freaking loves it.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 08, 2010, 07:47:23 PM »

Quote from: Eightball on September 08, 2010, 07:29:43 PM

Test drove both the 135i (DCT) and 335i (crappy steptronic automagic) today.  Immediately smitten by the 135i - the DCT on that thing is phenomenal and the steering feel is about perfect.  Not as fast as my STi, but miles more comfortable and, most importantly, QUIET.  Drove the 335i after and didn't like it nearly as much.  The ride was slightly better, but everything else was worse.  The transmission was not at all impressive.

Dealer offered me at least Fair Blue Book value for my STi (so that'd be around $16K) and would sell me an ordered 135i at near invoice.  I think I'm going to make the order later this week.

Nice.  What color?

Space Grey or White, still trying to decide.  However I am going to try a lowball offer on the Sedona Red they have in stock.  

I have a white car.  It's a pain in the ass to keep it clean.

Also, I remember bringing up the 135 in IRC, but you were all about "may as well just get the 335."  But the test drive convinced you otherwise.  And, did you drive the 335d?  My dad has one, and freaking loves it.

White isn't nearly as hard as black... I actually don't find it too difficult to keep clean.  That being said, I decided on grey.

The primary selling point of the 135i (and thus not the 335i or 335d) is the 7-speed DCT.  The automatic on the 3 series felt like utter trash relative to that thing.  After driving the 135i first and then moving to the 335, the two things I realized on the 335i were: 1) I hate the transmission, and 2) the steering rack is a little too lose.  Neither of these would be resolved with the 335d, so I didn't bother.  

I really still do prefer the 335 looks and the ride itself was a bit better (probably due to the longer wheelbase).  If the DCT weren't available on the 135i, I'd definitely be buying a 335.  Also, if I was willing to buy another standard transmission, I'd heavily consider the 335 again.  But I'm not.  Not even a little bit.

Now the 335is can be had with the DCT, but it's out of my price range.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 08, 2010, 07:54:15 PM »

The automatic on the 335i really isn't great, but at least I can switch it into Sport or quasi manual mode.

Oh and my wife just picked up a new X5. We are officially a 2 Bimmer family  Roll Eyes
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 08, 2010, 08:00:12 PM »

Quote from: Jag on September 08, 2010, 07:54:15 PM

The automatic on the 335i really isn't great, but at least I can switch it into Sport or quasi manual mode.

Oh and my wife just picked up a new X5. We are officially a 2 Bimmer family  Roll Eyes

Yeah don't get me wrong - the transmission probably would've been great had I not driven the DCT before.  I don't think I'll ever be able to look at another automatic the same way again after driving that.

Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 08, 2010, 08:36:40 PM »

Quote from: gellar on September 08, 2010, 07:47:23 PM

Test drove both the 135i (DCT) and 335i (crappy steptronic automagic) today.  Immediately smitten by the 135i - the DCT on that thing is phenomenal and the steering feel is about perfect.  Not as fast as my STi, but miles more comfortable and, most importantly, QUIET.  Drove the 335i after and didn't like it nearly as much.  The ride was slightly better, but everything else was worse.  The transmission was not at all impressive.

Dealer offered me at least Fair Blue Book value for my STi (so that'd be around $16K) and would sell me an ordered 135i at near invoice.  I think I'm going to make the order later this week.

Nice.  What color?

Space Grey or White, still trying to decide.  However I am going to try a lowball offer on the Sedona Red they have in stock.  

I have a white car.  It's a pain in the ass to keep it clean.

Also, I remember bringing up the 135 in IRC, but you were all about "may as well just get the 335."  But the test drive convinced you otherwise.  And, did you drive the 335d?  My dad has one, and freaking loves it.

White isn't nearly as hard as black... I actually don't find it too difficult to keep clean.  That being said, I decided on grey.

The primary selling point of the 135i (and thus not the 335i or 335d) is the 7-speed DCT.  The automatic on the 3 series felt like utter trash relative to that thing.  After driving the 135i first and then moving to the 335, the two things I realized on the 335i were: 1) I hate the transmission, and 2) the steering rack is a little too lose.  Neither of these would be resolved with the 335d, so I didn't bother.  

I really still do prefer the 335 looks and the ride itself was a bit better (probably due to the longer wheelbase).  If the DCT weren't available on the 135i, I'd definitely be buying a 335.  Also, if I was willing to buy another standard transmission, I'd heavily consider the 335 again.  But I'm not.  Not even a little bit.

Now the 335is can be had with the DCT, but it's out of my price range.

When I was sedan shopping a few months back I looked at the 335is.  Really nice car on the outside, but I thought the interior was a little bit of a letdown for what turned out to be a 56K car.  That said, I thought the price vector between the '35is and the M3 was goofy and in that light the 35 starts to look a little better.

Overall though, I really think the 135 DCT is the sweet spot for Bimmer sport sedans now - at least 'till the 1M coupe comes out next year. 

And I agree that white isn't so bad to keep clean.  It also shows paint swirls and other imperfections less than other colors.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 08, 2010, 09:03:55 PM »

Well, it's a coupe, not a sedan slywink.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 09, 2010, 01:36:40 AM »

Thread needs more pics.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 09, 2010, 01:42:45 AM »

I have a white car.  It's a pain in the ass to keep it clean.

paint it black!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 12, 2010, 10:03:41 PM »

The deed is done:

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 13, 2010, 12:21:25 AM »

thumbsup thumbsup

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Jiffy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 13, 2010, 12:34:33 AM »

drool
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 13, 2010, 02:04:23 PM »

Most excellent.  Now chip it.  slywink
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 13, 2010, 02:58:59 PM »

Quote from: gellar on September 12, 2010, 10:03:41 PM

The deed is done:

/Jealous  icon_wink

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: September 13, 2010, 03:39:08 PM »

Quote from: Geezer on September 13, 2010, 02:04:23 PM

Most excellent.  Now chip it.  slywink

NOPE.COM.

I actually gave my service advisor explicit permission to punch me in the face if I add anything to the car.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 13, 2010, 04:06:13 PM »

Am I the only one that isn't a huge fan of how the new bimmers look?

One of the few cars that looked good in the 90s.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: September 13, 2010, 04:15:09 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on September 13, 2010, 04:06:13 PM

Depends on the model, not a big fan of the 1 or the 7, but I really like the newer 3s and the 6 and the 5s are ok. The Z4 is ok, the X3 and X6 are ugly, the X5 is ok. I think that covers most of them. I think the 335/M3 are good looking cars. There have certainly been more in your face M3s, but I like the recent models.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 14, 2010, 02:37:06 AM »

And mine:

lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: September 14, 2010, 02:48:39 AM »

Geezer, that is hot.

Gellar, my mom has the white convertible of what you have. My bro sells BMWs.

Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 14, 2010, 03:42:18 AM »

Quote from: SkyLander on September 13, 2010, 04:06:13 PM

One of the few cars that looked good in the 90s.

I like the new Bimmers quite a bit, but there is no denying the excellence of the original M3  thumbsup
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 14, 2010, 03:43:05 AM »

Quote from: lildrgn on September 14, 2010, 02:48:39 AM

Geezer, that is hot.

Thanks smile
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 14, 2010, 03:46:21 AM »

I really, really like the new Merc styling.  They seem to finally have stopped fucking it up smile.
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 14, 2010, 03:54:15 AM »

Quote from: gellar on September 14, 2010, 03:46:21 AM

I really, really like the new Merc styling.  They seem to finally have stopped fucking it up smile.

I'm gonna chip it. slywink

(530 hp, here I come.)
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 14, 2010, 04:07:33 AM »

Quote from: Geezer on September 14, 2010, 03:54:15 AM

Quote from: gellar on September 14, 2010, 03:46:21 AM

I'm gonna chip it. slywink

(530 hp, here I come.)

Ricer.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: