http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 03:11:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Portishead - Third  (Read 1033 times)
Montag
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: April 28, 2008, 12:01:26 PM »

I am about to embark on the journey.  What is your take on it?
PR_GMR
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 03:47:29 PM »

Most check it out soon. I think it was released last Tuesday. If I can find a free minute this week, I'll pick it up.

Here's RollingStone.com's take on it:

It's been ten years since the world last heard from Portishead, the U.K. trip-hop trio, and they do not sound like they've spent the past decade going to therapy, listening to new music or making friends. Actually, they sound like they spent it locked in a tea cupboard underwater off the coast of Bristol, with a piped-in orchestral soundtrack from Dario Argento horror movies. Is this a problem?

No way nobody ever listened to Portishead for their sparkling personalities or musical variety. What they're brilliant at is obsessively textured studio dread, and Third is an unexpected yet totally impressive return. Beth Gibbons still has her high-pitched trill ("Wounded and afraid/Inside my head," she sings in the opener, "Silence" big surprise), but she's just another sound effect in the audio creep show of Geoff Barrow and Adrian Utley. "We Carry On" is a smashingly claustrophobic two-note electro riff, with heavy echoes of the Silver Apples' "Oscillations." In highlights like "The Rip," "Small" and "Machine Gun," Portishead mix up dub, break beats, cathedral organ, Moroccan drones and even surf rock into a headphone album for sour times.

3.5 stars out of 5

motodd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 04:46:15 PM »

I have only listened to it twice but I like what I heard. The last song, "Threads" is the only song that sticks out so far. It closes with this great foghorn/didgeridoo sound that is just bone chilling.
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 07:06:30 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on April 28, 2008, 03:47:29 PM

Most check it out soon. I think it was released last Tuesday. If I can find a free minute this week, I'll pick it up.

Actually, today (April 28th) is the official release date.  Should be available in stores today or tomorrow.

16-bit and loving it!
Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 10:21:41 PM »

I'll be picking it up tomorrow for sure.  Can't wait.

I heard a bit of it on NPR' All Songs Considered's Spring albums sneak preview show and I liked what I heard.  The reviewers were moderately dismissive of the new album, but really it'd be hard to meet everyone's expectations after a ten year wait.

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
Montag
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 11:16:50 PM »

It's different. I never like things in the first listen through.  I hear some sounds and style of the earlier albums.  My initial reaction is disappointment, but I have to listen through an album 2 or 3 times to form an opinion.  Youtube has a video for one of the songs.  It is not the best on the album by far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKm-OkHj-VM

Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 12:30:02 AM »

I am definitely in.  I was psyched as soon as I heard this was coming.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 06:00:36 PM »

I'll buy this next time I get a chance.  I am excited about them coming back.  nod
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 07:14:53 PM »

I just got it.. At first listen... Not impressed.  It's lacking in melody, and leans far too heavy on dancy electronica beats for my taste.

I love Dummy because it's a very lush, sensual, achingly haunting record.  Third sounds to me (so far) like something I would have heard in a dance club about 7 years ago and been all like, "hey!  what's that really cool singer doing in that annoying dance beat?"

Edit: Track 7 - "Deep Water" sounds like something Rilo Kiley cut from "More Adventurous" because they already had 3 boring quirky songs with acoustic guitar.

Montag
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 05:15:41 PM »

I have concluded that Third is an appropriate title.  With three albums, Third is in last place from Portishead.  If you want more Portishead, I would suggest buying the Roseland NYC live album over Third.  It doesn't have any new songs over Dummy or Portishead, but it was different enough with the use of an orchestra.
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 05:47:06 PM »

it was an interesting experiment in how most or all 'hip-hop' influence from their sound was surgically excised, with a heavier emphasis on '60s style filmtrack atmosphere. once i got used to that, my initial (and only) impression was favorable. gonna get the CD from the library in a few weeks so i can hear it as it was meant to be heard, instead of a last.fm stream.
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 03:26:17 PM »

After having this for a couple of weeks I really, really like it.  It's very dark and strange, but compelling as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: