http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 02:30:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Police were told the gun wasn't real....  (Read 605 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: January 15, 2006, 10:29:58 AM »

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/14/teen.shot/index.html

The father and brother of a teenager shot at school Friday while brandishing a pellet gun told authorities before an officer opened fire that Christopher Penley's gun was not real, the family's attorney said Saturday.

Excuse me, but if I'm a cop...this is a real gun no matter who says what:

I know the media whores are all over any chance to make our cops look like psychopathic killers with an axe to grind against the public, but come ON...when kids alter pellet guns to make them look real, they might as well BE real when they are pointed at you.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 10:39:54 AM »

The story I read said the family told them it probably wasn't real.

Who gives a crap though?  If I'm a cop I'm not listening to what a third party, who isn't even there, thinks may or may not be going on.  Suicide by cop happens alot from what I've seen, at least his organs will be put to good use.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 01:07:30 PM »

Glad to hear that another crazy kid's genes have been removed from the gene pool. You don't EVER carry around a gun that looks so close to the real thing and expect NOT to get blasted by the cops when they come from you.

Period.

Didn't I see another story here recently of a pellet gun of sorts that looked like the real thing? Didn't they state that the officers who responded would've been totally in the right if they did blast the kid (as in that instance, the kid wasn't shot at)?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 02:37:00 PM »

Ya i live an hour or so outside of where this happened and the news last night made me sick.  
They were interviewing his friends in the neighborhood and what a load of garbage these people appear to be.  His thug buddies were on camera saying "ya the cops should know the difference" .....yada yada yada.  the kids were on camera with no shirts and all carrying guns like they were looking for trouble or a reason to start something.
i can't say much about the parents because i can't imagine the trauma they are going through and i'm sure i'd be upset at a time like this regardless of the circumstances if my son was killed.  from the news last night it appears the family attorney was the one raising the stink.  i gotta beleive the family did not have a "family attorney" before this happened either.  the buzzards are already out looking for a reason to sue.
however, you don't go around with a gun (toy or not) and point it at people or cops and not expect something terrible to happen.  apparently the kid was depressed and was looking for a reason to end it anyhow.
very sad but no reason to blame police.

dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 03:48:30 PM »

That said I still see no other alternative for the cops.The kid wanted to die and he wanted to commit suicide by cop.

Ye Olde Farte
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 09:04:10 PM »

Yeah, the kid had a death wish:

Finally, the boy came out of the bathroom and "raised the firearm in a tactical position and pointed it" at a SWAT team member, who "decided to use deadly force," Eslinger said.

So sad. He knew what he was doing, and knew what the reaction was going to be.

After the shooting, deputies discovered ... [that] the gun was phony. It was an airsoft pellet gun, and the normally brightly colored tip had been painted black to make it look more authentic ... In a news conference after the shooting, authorities displayed the gun alongside a real 9 mm handgun. To the naked eye, there was little difference between them.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 10:10:31 PM »

The older I get the more I agree with the California law that says all non-real guns have to colored bright pink or yellow.   And I grew up in Montana.

That said, I'm not clear on the events that lead to this shooting.  How do cops end up storming the kid here but in that hostage situation last week they waited for hours to do anything?  Gun or toy it seems to me the right option is to try to end the situation through negotiation or non-lethal (i.e. tear gas, etc.) means unless you have reason to believe the person with the weapon has or is willing to use it.  The kid in this case hadn't even fired at anyone and held no hostages at the time he was shot.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 11:16:48 PM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"
That said, I'm not clear on the events that lead to this shooting.  How do cops end up storming the kid here but in that hostage situation last week they waited for hours to do anything?

They didn't storm into the classroom.  The kid left it of his own free will, running down the hallway and being chased by authorities.  At some point during that, he pointed the gun at a SWAT officer who pulled the trigger and ended the child's life.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 02:46:55 AM »

Darwin Award.  I'm glad the kid's genes are out of the gene pool.

I play airsoft, I have airsoft guns that have no tip.  They're no longer required be law now because the guns are no longer classified as toys (a good thing) but in the same category as BB guns (the metal ones).  I'm actually glad their classified this way, not because it's more realistic (I don't mind the tip) but it's more regulated.

When we play on regulated fields we take great care in keeping our equipment in bags until we're on the field of play.  Barrel condoms are in use off the field and safety's on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: