http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 04:34:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PnP gaming over IM. Anyone tried it?  (Read 485 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2006, 02:12:51 PM »

*cross-posted from OO*

A couple of the guys in our gaming group have moved out of town, but we we're looking at possibly starting up a session via IM/webcam/other software.  We'll just be playing a standard D&D 3.5 game, so nothing fancy.

Has anyone tried this?  Do you have any suggestions on certain software to use or avoid?  I found a system called Fantasy Grounds that looks very cool, but I'm not sure everyone will want to plunk down the $$ for it.  The original option was to just play through MSN messenger, but I'm not terribly familiar with it, which may cause problems.

If you've got any suggestions for long distance gaming, let me know.  Thanks!

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 01:09:10 PM »

I checked out that demo for Fantasy Grounds and can't stop saying to myself how amazing it is.  It's everything I had wished I had when I actively gamed.

Makes me want to do it again too smile
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 01:25:40 PM »

back in the days of GoneGold, I remember playing a game based on Lovecraft over IM and having it work out okay.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 02:36:16 PM »

We spent about 3 hours with Fantasy Grounds last night.  It's pretty, but really lacks in functionality compared to a few other systems.  Maybe functionality is the wrong word, but it really requires both the players and the GM to keep track of many things on paper that really could be automated somewhere within the game.  This can get tough when one person is in Detroit, one in Salt Lake, one in San Fran and one in Seattle.  We were also recommended another program called Klooge (Kloogeinc.com).  It's certainly not even close to as pretty, but the functionality is just amazing.  It does things like tracking each participant in combat rounds based on initiative, automatically applying attack modifiers based on distance, allowing the GM to customize spell effects, showing HP indicators (to the GM only, of course), etc., etc.  We were all set to buy Fantasy Ground, but after spending a few hours with Klooge, I'm convinced it will be a better program in the long run.  We shall see...

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 05:50:20 PM »

me and a friend (we are cs geeks, sue us) made a online chat program with dice rolling and whatnot that allowed you to play pnp game sover the internet.  The only thing we hadnt had time to do (well ok, I got lazy and he got tired) was allowed for character sheet uploads and whatnot.  I wanted to make the GM have the character stat/saves/etc put into the system so he didnt have to do much work....

wouldnt be hard to re-make, visual basic is hella easy smile

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 10:34:00 PM »

i had a buddy who used to play vampire, over IRC,  He loved it.  they have a server, I think, nto sure.  They may have just used multiple rooms on efnet or something like that.  I never got into it.  but they did have dice rolling and what not.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: