http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 09:17:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please watch the MirrorMask trailer  (Read 497 times)
RightBastard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2005, 06:23:00 PM »

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/mirrormaskqt.html

It's the trailer for the new movie that Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean are working on.  It's slated for a limited theatrical release, which is a shame and apparently, the greater the number of people who watch the trailer, the greater the chances that the number of theatres will be expanded.

Also, it's a neat trailer and movie from two really great storytellers.

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
hitbyambulance
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 06:52:19 AM »

i finally got around to seeing it tonight. no spoilers ahead!

it was actually pretty 'slow' paced, which is exceeeeedingly rare for a children's film these days.

so the bad, first: i kept losing attention, and it felt sometimes like 'oh, here's two actors against a bluescreen and CGI is everything else' so it felt really empty at times. it definitely has a 'kids movie' feel, so look out for drawn-out exposition and awkward scenes.

the good is that i've not seen a movie that looks like it before - the filters used on the different shots kept my eyes intrigued. the 'old film' look never got old, but i fear it being copied in the future.... it also has some of the better credits, ever (the particular music/CGI combination).

speaking of, the music/score definitely deserves mention - hard to describe, but it was very clear, and 'channel separated' - a very bold but minimal soundmix. the style was sorta old-timey in a very modern way. there were some some intriguing ambient SFX also. you can tell effort went into making a distinctive atmosphere for this.

i'm guessing this movie is going to make Dave McKean a sought-after set/character designer, for sure. his imprint is everywhere and some of the results are really amazing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: