http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 01:01:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please sign this Metallica Petition  (Read 2718 times)
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2005, 12:16:57 AM »

Growing by the minute.  This petition is everything I agree with being an old Metallica fan.  

http://www.petitiononline.com/SaveMet/petition.html
Andrew Wonser
Gaming Trend Senior Member

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 12:27:41 AM »

And here I was hoping it was a petition to get them to retire. Darn.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 01:14:30 AM »

Do people really get this involved and think things like this matter?  I guess it's just me but who takes this much involvment as just a fan?  
I'm not being sarcastic, just curious.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 01:48:21 AM »

"…And Justice For All" is my favorite Metallica album.  And that's all I really have to say about that.

Well, I remember I had a nice Sony Walkman (it was yellow and water resistant) and I went to Washington DC with my grandmother.  We were on a tour with a bunch of elderly people and I would sit on the busses that drove us around listening to my ...And Justice For All cassette.  I'm not sure of the year, but I do remember Shaq's team (LSU?) was deep in the NCAA March tourney.  I recall sitting in our hotel room thinking about what a beast that man was and listening to ...And Justice For All.  I don't think I bothered taking any other tapes with me and my sweet yellow Walkman, but who really needed anything else?

1. Blackened
2. ...And Justice For All
3. Eye Of The Beholder
4. One
5. The Shortest Straw
6. Harvester Of Sorrow
7. The Frayed Ends Of Sanity
8. To Live Is To Die
9. Dyers Eve

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 07:46:14 AM »

Interesting that I've enjoyed every Metallica album up until Saint Anger. The last CD I bought was Garage Days. "Turn the page" was the best one of all. Tuesday's Gone.
Other songs I've enjoyed were Low Man's Lyric, The Unforgiven, The Unforgiven II, Mama Said, and all of these songs were 1990+.
However with Saint Anger, they've just lost it IMO.

Even if we might agree with the petition, it's not really going to accomplish anything. They even started a petition telling Ashlee Simpson to get out of the music industry. I happen to agree with that after the slipup on SNL and of course, the horrible performance at the Orange Bowl, even her looks can't save her lack of singing skills. Still though, the only one who's going to get Ashlee Simpson out of the music industry is herself, which I just don't see happening, same thing with Metallica. I wish they'd go back to the "Black Album" despite what the petition says, it was one of my all-time favorites.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2005, 08:21:16 AM »

I also liked the Black Album just as much as the earlier discs.

I do despise St. Anger though. It just flat sounds bad.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2005, 01:59:04 PM »

They lost me at "Napster".  I owned every album up till that point, then I saw their true colors.  I took the CDs out to the burn barrel and haven't looked back.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2005, 02:33:29 PM »

The problem with the petition is that is implies that somehow none of the members of Metallica like the music htey are writing.  It seems to be saying the somehow Bob Rock has tricked them or perhaps used hypnotism to make these guys write crap, put out crap, etc.

I don't particularly like their new stuff but I don't think the band is stupid, or out of control.  It seems like the height of disrespect to assume they are too stupid to know what music they are making.

HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2005, 04:31:26 PM »

Farley, you make sense.

Metallica knew what they were doing when they made that album, and they liked it.

THAT DAMN SNARE DRUM.

They must know what they are doing all other bands from their generation are long gone. So lets give them some credit.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2005, 05:25:49 PM »

I'm an old school Metallica fan too.  Everything after Justice is all pop-metal crap, IMHO.  But they are making fistfulls of money even while they attack their fan base.  They will never change, especially while that Lars "douche-bag" Ulrich is calling the shots.  I know it's silly to get all worked up over this stuff, but their music was a big part of my teenage angst years.  I really felt like they cared about their fans and I connected with them.  The direction and attitude they took from the Black album on was really sad.  I can't even listen to the old albums with the same nostolgia anymore.  Oh well, life goes on and I've found better and more respectable musicians to fill the void.
Ibby
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2005, 05:34:31 PM »

They're doing what they want to do, and making tons of money doing it.  More power to them.

I'm a 'Master of Puppets' fanatic myself, and haven't listened to any of their recent stuff.  It's just not for me.  

God forbid they fucking earn a living as rock stars.
Semaj

View Profile
heh
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2005, 06:10:19 PM »

I stopped listening right around napster time....

Not to say thier newer stuff sucks, but I'm much too lazy to put effort into listening to a band that killed my favorite source of listening to cd's to determine if they were worth buying.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2005, 09:24:24 PM »

Whoever wrote that petition has, at best, a passing familiarity with a language, but I'm not sure that language is English.

th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2005, 10:05:47 PM »

Really the best thing anyone can do is write off this once great band.  They have been putting out dreck for well over 10 yrs now, and to say it's their producer's fault is just wishfull thinking.

My theory is they stopped using drugs.  That's usually a good indication of impending suckiness.  sad but true, at least in most cases.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2005, 10:38:02 PM »

That whole napster thing let me down as a fan of Metallica as well. I got over it though and am still a fan of everything Pre-Saint Anger. Their next album sounds like it will be even worse than Saint Anger (and Saint Anger just doesn't get any worse, so you can imagine).

For anyone that followed the metallica vs napster here's a song you'll definitely like "Internet Sandman" by Johnny Crass:

http://johnnycrass.home.comcast.net/internetsandman.mp3

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
GungHo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2005, 04:51:34 AM »

Quote from: "Xmann"
Do people really get this involved and think things like this matter?  I guess it's just me but who takes this much involvment as just a fan?  
I'm not being sarcastic, just curious.

Well...is it really 'that involved'? I mean how long do you think it took someone to write a paragraph and post it on petitiononline.com?  20 minutes?  30?  Not like they're some overboard manic psycho doing a letter writing campaign to all 8 million people that bought The Black Album CD...

I say good for them, they're passionate about something and they put forth a modest amount of effort in trying to reach other ppl who share that passion.

As for Metallica, im in the boat that doesnt much care for anything post-The Black Album(and even that one doesnt do that much for me)...but if thats what they wanna do, meh go for it.  Metallica is no longer relevant in my life, but then music itself isnt nearly so important as it once was.   Sucks growing old, but there you have it.

I had one...
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2005, 05:58:33 AM »

Quote from: "HankRaptor"
THAT DAMN SNARE DRUM.

Would you prefer more... cowbell?
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2005, 07:03:37 AM »

Quote from: "th'FOOL"
Really the best thing anyone can do is write off this once great band.  They have been putting out dreck for well over 10 yrs now, and to say it's their producer's fault is just wishfull thinking.

My theory is they stopped using drugs.  That's usually a good indication of impending suckiness.  sad but true, at least in most cases.

Rent or pick up Some Kind of Monster when it is released next Tuesday.  It's a documentary on Metallica before St. Anger's release.  It's about the time where Jason Newstead left and James Hetfield had a nervous breakdown.  Not taking drugs isn't necessarily the problem here...probably more the absence of alcohol (a band mainstay), something their $40k a month therapist hits hard on in the documentary.

St. Anger was easily the worst Metallica album ever and was their first original studio album since Reload (1997).  After that they did Garage, Inc. (1998) which was a bunch of covers and S&M (1999) which was versions of their songs with an orchestra (conducted and co-produced by the late Michael Kamen).  I still find this some of the best stuff post-Black Album that Metallica has done.

I have hope for the new disc whenever it comes out.  Now that they can distance themselves from the crap surrounding St. Anger maybe something special will come out of it...who knows though.  Laying the problems on Bob Rock though is a bit of a stretch...especially when James and Lars have co-produced with him since Rock first came on for the Black Album (nevermind they produced all the albums except for the first one...Kill 'em All).

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2005, 01:53:33 PM »

Yep, I have Some Kind of Monster at my number 1 position in my netflix list.  I will be seeing it next week.

After seeing Metallica last fall, I have confidence that they can make another 'Master' or 'Justice' CD.  I really do.  They still had the fire and ability to reproduce the high energy of their pre-Black songs.  

Honestly, I think this petition has a chance to be read by the band.  They need to know the fans want 'Master II'/'Justice II'.  Go back to their roots.  That is the message we want them to hear... bring back the darkness themes, classic guitar intros, Solos, dramatic tempo changes, and best of all the production sound from Masters and Justice.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2005, 04:26:24 PM »

Quote from: "th'FOOL"
dreck

What the hell is it with English people using normal german words to emphasize ideas in english? Angst, Dreck (it's capitolized as it's a noun) are just "fear" and "dirt".

<sigh>

I just don't understand the Zweck.  confused

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2005, 04:29:22 PM »

Quote from: "Biyobi"
Quote from: "HankRaptor"
THAT DAMN SNARE DRUM.

Would you prefer more... cowbell?

Triangle. It's got a classy sound to it. It just screams out rage and deep emotion... and "Dinnertime!!". slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2005, 04:40:26 PM »

While I don't refute that it's a word in german, the english language consists of words that have their roots in other languages, MANY other languages.

Regardless, the description fits  :p

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2005, 04:46:16 PM »

angst    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (ängkst)
n.
A feeling of anxiety or apprehension often accompanied by depression.

dreck    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (drk)
n. Slang
Trash, especially inferior merchandise.

Literal translation doesn't apply when a word is absorbed into another language or even dialect.  And, I agree, dreck is an entirely appropriate word for their post-Justice albums. smile
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2005, 06:20:47 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
They lost me at "Napster".  I owned every album up till that point, then I saw their true colors.  I took the CDs out to the burn barrel and haven't looked back.

i burned my mine too in the exact same manner lol.  After a day of raking the yard the CDs went up in smoke with the leaves.  Did it for the exact same reason too.

AttA
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2005, 07:05:11 PM »

No.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2005, 02:32:03 PM »

I love St. Anger.

I've followed Metallica for 20(!) years now, and feel they are headed in the right direction.

Losing Jason sucks though, big time. I'm sure the ape man Tjruillo (sp?) is a competent bassist, but Newsted was a madman. A driving, thumping force behind a band who temporarily lost their identity.

St. Anger marks a return to their primal roots. Sure, they sound different. That's obvious. But the important thing here is that they have regained the pissed off, tormented attitude that brought them to greatness in the first place.

Why the public hated St. Anger I have no idea. Forgetting about the glaring absence of Kirk solo's, it rocked. Plain and simple.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: