http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 09:23:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Playing Music - What's giving you GAS? & Current Gear  (Read 17327 times)
Booner
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2008, 03:10:53 PM »

I'm trying to keep up with you!  icon_lol

I highly doubt I'll be grabbing the Spector unless he is willing to cut one hell of a deal on it and I can make my way around that fretboard. Lots of tightly spaced strings and a pretty loose finger/slap style could make a bad combo. smile
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2008, 03:16:38 PM »

Yeah, that thing doesn't look like man's bass.  It looks like a ukelele.

What's up with these tiny bass bodies made of weird, fugly wood?
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2008, 03:42:28 PM »

Hehe...I don't know if I'd call it a 'small' body on the Spector. It's about the size of an LTD or Ibby.

But why small bodies in general? Comfort! The 'tone' woods that make some of the nicer basses sound so damn good are dense as hell...the 'Wick is as heavy as a P/J and maybe half it's size. If my Thumb was the the size of a P or J, it would be close to 16lbs or even more....I'd need a five-point harness to wear the thing and a small army of midgets to help strap it on.  icon_lol

But...no, I'm not a big fan of quilted tops. I do like to see the grain though...wood gives me wood. nod

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2008, 03:46:27 PM »

I got some wood for you.

http://www.lookeredup.com/temp/R8/canonphotos/R8_canons3_50perc_04.jpg

I am not a fan of flames or quilting or whatever.  The fact that my guitar with a figured top would fetch an EXTRA $2000 is just dumb to me.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 06:07:39 AM by kratz » Logged
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2008, 04:50:03 PM »

Quote from: kratz on August 15, 2008, 03:46:27 PM

I got some wood for you.

http://www.lookeredup.com/temp/R8/canonphotos/R8_canons3_50perc_02.jpg

I am not a fan of flames or quilting or whatever.  The fact that my guitar with a figured top would fetch an EXTRA $2000 is just dumb to me.

Agreed. The exotique woods and things like that do nothing for me.

Pass.

Booner

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2008, 05:39:09 PM »

Well....I didn't pull the trigger on the Spector and just took the Ampeg 4x10.

I would have been able to grab the bass at a really good price, but I just didn't like it. Talk about tight spacing with ~2-1/2" at the nut, yet became flat out huge by the 5th fret. My left thumb would be down near the bottom of the neck to reach the B-string...and I don't exactly have small hands.  saywhat

No sixers in the near future for this guy.

Yeah Kratz....that's what I'm talking about. Though I have never really liked sunburst finishes...if that badboy was all TV yellow. Wow, I'd almost want to play it. Tongue

And Jeez...does that bass have enough wood. Wood knobs? Pickup covers? Yuck.

I must admit I kinda dig the wood inlays on the neck.  paranoid

As far as figured woods, I like it a bit more understated and not so '3-D' looking. A nice Thuya or Redwood Burl top would be sweet.

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2008, 06:01:32 PM »

Booner

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2008, 06:06:50 PM »

Pickguard and pull bars.... thumbsdown

Exposed poles.... thumbsup thumbsup

I really want to add pair of Nordstrand Fat Stacks to my current 5er. Sound great, look awesome.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 06:10:35 PM by Booner » Logged
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2008, 06:33:47 PM »

Quote from: kratz on August 12, 2008, 05:11:05 PM

I'm obsessed with getting one of these lately:

Fender Blues Deluxe

I have been using a Fender Deluxe Hot Rod amp for the past 10+ years and it's fan-freakin'-tastic.

I have a sunburst Fender California Strat for my main electric:

Here's my klunker Alvarez acoustic that turned out to be a surprisingly great guitar and has served me well for the past 18 years.  I traded in my 4x12 cabinet for it when my high school band dissolved.

Here's what I'm probably going to pick up in the next month.  I spent 2 hours playing acoustics in the shop yesterday and came down to this:

lildrgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2008, 07:16:07 PM »

I'll have to show off my gear later. Watch this spot!

Booner

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2008, 07:22:31 PM »

Quote from: lildrgn on August 15, 2008, 07:16:07 PM

I'll have to show off my gear later. Watch this spot!

Oh what have you done?  icon_lol
lildrgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2008, 07:47:40 PM »

Nothing new, just time for some beauty shots. Don't get your hopes up. ninja

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2008, 07:50:54 PM »

Quote from: Jancelot on August 15, 2008, 06:33:47 PM

I have been using a Fender Deluxe Hot Rod amp for the past 10+ years and it's fan-freakin'-tastic.

Yeah, I've gotten over my Blues Deluxe GAS... did some research and apparently they don't hold up to road use very well.  I need something reliable and easily repairable... it's supposed to be neither.

I ordered parts to attempt a master volume on my JTM45... not sure if it'll adversely affect the tone too much or not... we'll see.
lildrgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2008, 08:48:02 PM »

Here's the family.

From L to R:

2008 G&L SB-2 Tribute, made in Indonesia. I purchased this new off of eBay. I sold a 90s era Ibanez ATK300 to fund it. The SB-2 is tuned to standard tuning and I use it in my second band, as well as an occasional church service. I put black Dunlop strap pegs on it and have left the modding at that. The pickguard is a bit non-existent in the picture, but it is there. Black screws may be in the future for this bass. The sound of this bass is big, bold and nasty. It's a passive bass and the output of the pups is incredible. The knobs control the volume of each p/u and there is no tone control.

2006 Lakland Skyline Duck Dunn Signature P. I traded my beloved 1996 Ernie Ball Sterling straight across for this bass a week ago. I saw this bass on Craigslist and loved how it looked. When I got it, it quickly became apparent that there were some neck issues with it. I ended up taking it to a local guitar shop and had it worked on. It now plays quite well and will be a perfect number 2 and occasional starter. It's tuned a half step down and has Dunlop strap pegs on it. I've played it twice at rehearsal and it is a solid performer. The sound isn't as gnarly as the SB-2 sound; it is more vintage P instead. The lack of a J pickup really allows the DD to have a round, full sound. The second knob is a tone control that can make the sound go from scratchy, squeaky treble, to no treble at all. This bass is also passive.

199? G&L SB-2, made in USA. I bought this bass off eBay last summer, almost on a lark. I bid on it, fully expecting to not win, but win it I did. You could say it changed my life! I love this bass. I love how it looks. From the tortoise shell pickguard to the way the coloring on the fretboard seems to go from dark to light, I love it all. I have put a Hipshot X-tender as well as Dunlop strap pegs on this bass. This bass also has incredible output (as do all the SB-2s) and is just a joy to play. It has a J-style neck (as do my other 2 basses) and fits perfectly with my not-so-large hands. Same V/V controls and tuning as the Tribby.

At shows, the USA SB-2 goes with me. I usually don't gig with a backup bass as it's a pain to lug around 2 basses. So far, so good (knock on wood). I have recorded with the SB-2 and it killed. The recordings aren't done yet, but the bass and drums are tracked and the tones I got (through my own rig, no less) are aggressive and in yo face. And, wouldn't you know it, I think I'm becoming a complete passive bass and P-bass fanboi. It only took me 22 years or so to figure that out!

I think I'm all gassed out for now. I don't know what else I'd need. My rig is going fine and simply won't die. I have all the basses I could ever use or need.

Then again, ask me in another month or so... smile

PS: here's my rig with the Sterling.

Booner

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2008, 11:13:10 AM »

Nice toy collection. smile

Overall...I think I like the looks of the black Tribute the best. Nasty.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2008, 06:02:36 PM »

So I've got a couple projects going now...one original thing that is moving very slowly and one metal/alt-rock cover band. The cover thing isn't really my typical bag, but it's got me playing two times a week and the songlist is alright. I'm happy to be playing regularly again...but there is a serious problem with it.....

I'm a bad Gasalolic.... crybaby

Over the past month I've purchased a Hartke 2x10 cab, a Ampeg 4x10 cab, and a Boss ME-50B. Then I may be grabbing a like-new Ampeg SVT-4 Pro this weekend from a local player.

If it goes down, I'll have over 1600 watts and fourteen 10" speakers...enough to make ears bleed. icon_razz icon_lol

joeyjazz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2008, 06:26:54 PM »

Nice, I've been saving some extra cash where I can and am hoping to get a decent price on a used SVT 4 Pro myself within the next month or two.  There's been a few floating around on Craig's List so hopefully they don't sell right away.

The band I linked awhile back got a different drummer and singer and took a turn to old school hardcore even though the new song we worked on last weekend brings in a strong sonic youth influence.  We'll see where things go. smile
lildrgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2008, 06:54:28 PM »

I will always have GAS in one form or another. I may be needing a little practice amp soon. My trusty Peavey Basic 40 is fragging out a little. Probably something that can be fixed with a simple solder job, but, alas, I don't solder.

I have been woefully down in the playing department. The Lunds have had issues with going out of town and such, and the Scheme has been down with injuries and family issues.

I did play at church last week with my old drummer, which was fabulous. Last night's Lunds rehearsal was canceled, and we're on for Thursday with the Scheme.

Nothing's worse than having a new toy (the DD P bass above), and not being able to use it.

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2008, 07:02:29 PM »

We went to the studio again on Saturday, and surprisingly, when getting rhythm tones, my Telecaster won out over the Les Paul... so our two new songs we are working on only have my LP on a few leads.

Here are the rough mixes from that session... me and the Tele through the JTM45 are on the left, Tony's LP through his '82 JCM800 is on the right.  He does the first leads in each song, and the main leads in both are me... keep in mind they are roughs...

http://www.lookeredup.com/sounds/looker_090608_split_rough.wma
http://www.lookeredup.com/sounds/looker_090608_bodies_rough.wma

I also did a bunch of work on the tele's wiring in the last week and took a picture w/ the JTM and a practice 2x12 cab...

Booner

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2008, 07:10:37 PM »

I'm sure it'll be just fine LilD...

What I wouldn't give to do some decent original music...I'm thinking about popping some of my own writings out on the cover band to see what they would think of it once we get the current songlist tight.

Most of it is in good shape, but Mudvayne's 'Happy?' is giving me fits right now. The verses are no problem, but I just haven't developed the speed or coordination to tap the chords out during the chorus...Ryan Martinie is a friggin' beast of a player...way more gifted than me. If I can't nail it in the next week or so, I'm going to have to see if they'd be willing to switch to a Mudvayne tune I already know and am capable of actually playing.  retard
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2008, 11:56:03 AM »

Well...I think my GAS is satiated for a bit at least. I grabbed the 4-Pro last week, and finally had a chance last night to get my 8x10 a ride to the jam room to join it.

Awesome Sauce.  drool

With so much headroom, it really allows me to sculpt my sound exactly how I like it and bring the volume up enough to cut through. No farting or distortion at all, just a fat warm tone with a hint of growl. Everyone there last night was commenting on how much fuller it sounded. I was worried that 'fuller' was nice-guy-code for too damn loud and would ask if I needed to turn down...they said no and when I would walk to the other side of the room to check, it didn't seem overpowering at all. I'm a very pleased bassist. nod

This is my happy place, my corner of thunder...

lildrgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2008, 01:50:55 PM »

eek nod crybaby<--- jealous

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2008, 05:05:33 PM »

The SVT-4 Pro is all solid state?

Our new guy has a... SVT Classic, maybe?  All tube... weighs like 75 pounds or some crap.  He plays it through a 2x15 w/ some sort of italian speaker I can't remember the name of... that and his '72 p bass... good lord it's nice.
joeyjazz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2008, 05:14:58 PM »

Quote from: kratz on September 17, 2008, 05:05:33 PM

Tube preamp (3 x 12AX7), solid state power amp.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 05:16:43 PM by joeyjazz » Logged
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2008, 05:43:39 PM »

Huh.  Interesting.

I looked, the one he has is this one: http://www.ampeg.com/products/classic/svtcl/index.html
joeyjazz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2008, 05:53:58 PM »

Yeah that thing is a beast.  I'd like to get one of those or a Mesa 400+, but am still leaning towards the SCL4 Pro since it's cheaper and more versatile (...and I already own 1 amp that has like 12 tubes to change periodically).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 05:59:41 PM by joeyjazz » Logged
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2008, 06:06:39 PM »

Quote from: kratz on September 17, 2008, 05:05:33 PM

Our new guy has a... SVT Classic, maybe?  All tube... weighs like 75 pounds or some crap.  He plays it through a 2x15 w/ some sort of italian speaker I can't remember the name of... that and his '72 p bass... good lord it's nice.

I bet that SVT is nice. All tube and a '72 P probably equals a sweet vintage sound.

His speakers wouldn't happen to be MarkBass would they? Usually bright yellow-orange stuff? They don't quite have the low-end oomph of a mesa or ampeg cab....but that really low end usually just makes the live mix muddy and undefinied.

[tangent]Many rock bassists wonder why they don't cut through the mix, but have all the lows and highs boosted and the mids scooped out. Their EQ is a smiley face, but mine is a frown...boost those mids and go from drowned out to out front. It doesn't sound like something you'd want as a solo mix, but it's the real deal for a live sound. smile[/tangent]

Anyways...I've played a couple MarkBass rigs at GC and they sound plenty powerful enough, but their 8x10 is only ~85lbs, where mine is ~170!  icon_eek
joeyjazz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2008, 06:29:05 PM »

I was going to say /hug to my 4x10 @ your 170 pound cab, but then I remembered my 4x10 still weighs like 130 and has the shittiest casters ever made under it.  It's funny because I got it since I was sick of lugging an 8x10 around but looking back this has been tougher for me to get in and out of the car and get up stairs because of the wheels and dimensions. frown

Oh, and a +1 to Gwon's jealousy.  You've got a killer rig there.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2008, 07:17:33 PM »

Nope, the name is italian...  It's a great sounding rig.  8x10s are pretty decent, but I prefer the sound of 15s... better separation between guitars and bass, bigger sound...

His '72 P is the best sounding/playing bass I've ever played.

I couldn't find much in the way of pictures, but here is the best one I could find (with his old band, Harvey Knuckles): http://a353.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/11/l_97b12d0b49fada1fb21c0271d16d25f0.jpg

He has some sort of Mesa head that is in the shop, I guess... he said he really loves it, but I'm not sure what the model is.
joeyjazz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2008, 11:14:19 PM »

Thanks to catching a killer deal on Craig's List I got some new toys for my guitar...

Fulltone OCD (V.2)

Keeley DS-1 Ultra Mod

I don't really need more distortion pedals right now, but I got them each for about a quarter what they go for new and they're in near perfect condition.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 11:22:27 PM by joeyjazz » Logged
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2008, 11:30:17 PM »

Lemme know if you wanna sell that Fulltone...
joeyjazz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2008, 12:28:25 AM »

Sorry, I've been wanting one of these for a very long time. biggrin  The only reason I don't really need these right now is the past couple bands I've been in I've ended up playing bass and there's a few things I need to round out a live rig there (one of which happens to be another fulltone pedal).  My guitar amp isn't as versatile as I'd like, but it does take pedals really well so having things like this around keeps me from dropping more cash on another amp.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 12:31:33 AM by joeyjazz » Logged
lildrgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2008, 06:52:08 AM »

Quote from: joeyjazz on September 23, 2008, 12:28:25 AM

Sorry, I've been wanting one of these for a very long time. biggrin  The only reason I don't really need these right now is the past couple bands I've been in I've ended up playing bass and there's a few things I need to round out a live rig there (one of which happens to be another fulltone pedal).  My guitar amp isn't as versatile as I'd like, but it does take pedals really well so having things like this around keeps me from dropping more cash on another amp.

Want mine? It's not a mosfet, but the blue one. I can't get it to do what I want, so I use SansAmp BDDI.

joeyjazz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2008, 01:26:12 PM »

Quote from: lildrgn on September 23, 2008, 06:52:08 AM

Want mine? It's not a mosfet, but the blue one. I can't get it to do what I want, so I use SansAmp BDDI.

Hmmm... tempting.  YGPM.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2008, 03:49:44 PM »

*Sniff*  It happened again....found a deal I couldn't refuse.  crybaby

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2008, 04:43:36 PM »

Someone was paying people to take Ibanez'? Tongue
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2008, 05:32:34 PM »

Quote from: kratz on October 29, 2008, 04:43:36 PM

Someone was paying people to take Ibanez'? Tongue

Hehe...their basses are actually pretty good for the price you pay. Best bang for the buck I've found...hell, I have 3 of 'em. smile

For playablity, the SRs are just flat awesome...very slinky, with super-low action, lightweight, and comfy necks. Very, very fast machines. The only thing I can bitch about is the pre-amp on the active models...the frequencies you adjust via the tone knobs just aren't my bag, I don't know if the shelves are just too big or the ranges aren't for me, yet the bartolini pups are decent enough.

If I can't dial this one in over the next couple of months, I may try to hook it up with a Demeter, Bartolini, or Aquilar pre. It's by far the easiest playing bass out of the five I have.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2008, 07:51:20 PM »

Quote from: joeyjazz on September 22, 2008, 11:14:19 PM

Thanks to catching a killer deal on Craig's List I got some new toys for my guitar...

Fulltone OCD (V.2)

Keeley DS-1 Ultra Mod

I don't really need more distortion pedals right now, but I got them each for about a quarter what they go for new and they're in near perfect condition.

How are you liking the DS-1 mod?  I'm considering sending my stock pedal in...
joeyjazz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2008, 08:07:27 PM »

Great day to bump this thread, I'll be picking up a used Ampeg SVT-4 Pro tonight. biggrin

Quote from: Laner on October 29, 2008, 07:51:20 PM

How are you liking the DS-1 mod?  I'm considering sending my stock pedal in...

Honestly, since playing around with them a little bit I've almost only used the OCD.  I'll be firing up my big amp for the first time in forever tomorrow and I'll make sure to get some time in with both pedals and get back to you.  From my limited experience it seems the OCD and Tubescreamer tend to make anything sound better (in this case, my crappy 15 year old Crate practice amp) while the DS-1 just adds its own flavor.  Unfortunately, it's been so long since I lost my old DS-1 that I couldn't tell you what difference there is between the vanilla version and the modded one.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2008, 08:15:16 PM »

Quote from: joeyjazz on October 29, 2008, 08:07:27 PM

Great day to bump this thread, I'll be picking up a used Ampeg SVT-4 Pro tonight. biggrin

Awesome!

Don't forget to grab the Speakon cable that originally came with it if the current owner has it...it's wired different than most so that it will allow all 1200 watts from one output. Though you can wire one up yourself without too much trouble. Beware though...I nearly destroyed my 8x10 with it, it can really push. smile
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: