http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 12:29:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plasma Vs LCD Projection  (Read 2826 times)
TK-421
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 03, 2006, 02:01:39 PM »

So thanks to a bonus I'm getting from work I've finally decided to pull the trigger on a big screen TV.  Pricing seems to be similar between plasma and LCD projection TV's in the sizes I'm looking at (50" - 60").

So, what considerations should I keep in mind when shopping?  We've got about a 12' distance from couch to TV.  I'm looking to spend no more than $2000.

Thanks for the help.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 02:48:09 PM »

I've got myself a DLP front projector and couldn't be happier.

If you have the room for it, you can't get bigger bang for the buck. 80 inches and it takes up ZERO floor space (ceiling mount).

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 02:51:19 PM »

Quote from: Devil on October 03, 2006, 02:48:09 PM

80 inches

saywhat

Picture please.
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 03:01:19 PM »

I looked at DLP TV's a while back but it seemed that all the DLP sets I looked at had really bad cases of the "jaggies."

Maybe they're better now and I should check out DLP but until then I'll stick to LCD/Plasma.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 03:11:28 PM »

You'll probably see more jaggies with LCD (screen door). I had an LCD before the DLP and the difference is night and day, although it was older.

The only problem you might run into is 'rainbows' but the newer projectors have faster color wheels that should prevent that, if you'd even see them at all.

ATB - Imagine a wall, with a football game on it. There's your picture.  icon_biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 03:18:27 PM »

I have a rear projection LCD and don't see the 'screen door effect' much (a couple specials on Antartica or the North Pole, when it's a very white screen, I've seen it then)...  I've heard of folks having the rainbow effect for DLP too.  Both of these vary person to person; I think that if people didn't mention them, less people would see either.  It'll be crucial for you to see the TVs you are interested in at an actual storefront and see which works best for your eyes. 

I forget if new plasma sets still suffer from potential burn-in from a console (or is that something they have since fixed?)  Something to at least research though.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 03:31:53 PM »

DLP all the way.  We looked at SO many TVs before getting the Mitsu 56" that we ended up with.  I couldn't be happier.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 04:45:21 PM »

Ah, my favorite topic, HDTV's.

I have to ask, why are you looking at projection sets? I'm much more a fan of direct view sets, LCD or Plasma, than projection sets, which typically are more prone to problems. DLP sets are nice, and affordable, but bulky and the most trouble prone HD sets.

What size set are you interested in? Tell me that and I will find some recommendations for you, but off the top of my head, I know for a fact you can get the damn fine Panasonic 42" Plasma for under that price.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 04:46:55 PM by jblank » Logged

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 04:50:25 PM »

Yeah, here is the Panny set I mentioned a moment ago.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YNoH56TU1K5/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=146350&I=13342PX60U

My boss has the 50" and it's a helluva fine TV. I researched my ass off and he trusted me with the cash to buy it, so I had some pressure on me. 1 year later, he is completely satisfied and the picture is phenomonal.

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 05:13:57 PM »

I can't stand DLP myself, I ended up returning the one I bought (Samsung).. I would downsize a bit, and go with a really nice 40-42" LCD HDTV, or Plasma if you prefer.  Costco has some damn fine prices on their HD units these days, usually $1000-1500 range instore. They had this one for $1299 last time I was there, the picture was fabulous!

« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 05:17:07 PM by Kobra » Logged

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 05:38:03 PM »

Not slamming Vizio, but for $2,000.00, he can do MUCH better quality/performance wise, than what they can offer. I think Vizio makes a decent TV, they are up and coming, and might be a player soon, but if he can go up to 2K, I recommend he go with something from Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, Hitachi, JVC, Pioneer, or Sharp, where he can get a good sized set, a quality TV, and exceptional performance

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 05:55:41 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on October 03, 2006, 02:01:39 PM

We've got about a 12' distance from couch to TV.  I'm looking to spend no more than $2000.
DLP or LCD Projection.  12' is a good distance away from the screen, and you're going to be hard-pressed to find a plasma HDTV for under $2000 that is big enough to allow you to actually see the resolution difference of HD. Personally I wouldn't get anything smaller than a 56" set at that seating distance.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 05:57:43 PM by Laner » Logged
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 06:01:20 PM »

To further complicate this matter I have to let you know that I'm planning on using the bonus money I'm getting as most of the downpayment and putting the rest on layaway at WalMart.  We have no credit cards and would be vehemently turned down for one if we applied for one.  The plan is to put $1000 down and we've budgeted another $500/month for two months.  This is to be a Christmas present to the entire family.  (I want it for DVD movie watching and the wife wants it for football)
We can only put in-store items on layaway so we're limited to about three LCP projection sets, three plasma sets, and one DLP set (which I looked at and didn't like).

The following are TV's I've confirmed our local WM carries.

Plasma TV's:

Magnavox 50"
Philips 50"
ILO 42"
Polaroid 42"

LCD Projection:

Hitachi 50" (This one says "Online Only" but I've confirmed it's in stock at our WM.
Sony 50"

DLP Projection:

Oddly they don't have a listing on their website for the Samsung DLP that we looked at.

Rhinohelix
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2006, 06:09:18 PM »

From what I read (I have been looking at upgrading/replacing a Sony 57" CRT RPTV) that Sammy DLPs are the way to go right now.  I know that they have improved but I have seen some horrible problems firsthand with Plasma TVs, particularly a few years back, like burn-in.  I do hear that for Standard Definition TV they provide the best picture right now.

Dance with the Devil and the Devil doesn't change.  The Devil changes you.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2006, 06:12:21 PM »

Quote from: Rhinohelix on October 03, 2006, 06:09:18 PM

From what I read (I have been looking at upgrading/replacing a Sony 57" CRT RPTV) that Sammy DLPs are the way to go right now.  I know that they have improved but I have seen some horrible problems firsthand with Plasma TVs, particularly a few years back, like burn-in.  I do hear that for Standard Definition TV they provide the best picture right now.

My parents have two Sammy DLPs and my in-laws one and the standard def stuff on it is actually pretty decent compared to a lot of other HDTVs I've seen. 
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2006, 06:23:56 PM »

Quote from: Laner on October 03, 2006, 05:55:41 PM

We've got about a 12' distance from couch to TV.  I'm looking to spend no more than $2000.
DLP or LCD Projection.  12' is a good distance away from the screen, and you're going to be hard-pressed to find a plasma HDTV for under $2000 that is big enough to allow you to actually see the resolution difference of HD. Personally I wouldn't get anything smaller than a 56" set at that seating distance.

GOOD GOD!!!!!!!!!!! Unless he has a large room, thats WAY too big of a TV. My boss is 16" away from his TV and 50" is the perfect size. Gotta REALLY disagree that he needs something that size.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2006, 06:26:15 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on October 03, 2006, 06:01:20 PM

To further complicate this matter I have to let you know that I'm planning on using the bonus money I'm getting as most of the downpayment and putting the rest on layaway at WalMart.  We have no credit cards and would be vehemently turned down for one if we applied for one.  The plan is to put $1000 down and we've budgeted another $500/month for two months.  This is to be a Christmas present to the entire family.  (I want it for DVD movie watching and the wife wants it for football)
We can only put in-store items on layaway so we're limited to about three LCP projection sets, three plasma sets, and one DLP set (which I looked at and didn't like).

The following are TV's I've confirmed our local WM carries.

Plasma TV's:

Magnavox 50"
Philips 50"
ILO 42"
Polaroid 42"

LCD Projection:

Hitachi 50" (This one says "Online Only" but I've confirmed it's in stock at our WM.
Sony 50"

DLP Projection:

Oddly they don't have a listing on their website for the Samsung DLP that we looked at.

Avoid those Plasma units like the plague. All 4 are crap.

The LCD's are fine, but they are RP sets and are gonna be big and bulky. Do you not like direct view LCD's?

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2006, 06:29:24 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 03, 2006, 06:12:21 PM

Quote from: Rhinohelix on October 03, 2006, 06:09:18 PM

My parents have two Sammy DLPs and my in-laws one and the standard def stuff on it is actually pretty decent compared to a lot of other HDTVs I've seen. 

I'll agree with that, but our Sony LCD's have top quality SD performance. There isn't one technology that is "the best" for SD programming, but I wouldn't buy an HD set based on SD performance.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2006, 06:31:42 PM »

Quote from: jblank on October 03, 2006, 06:23:56 PM

GOOD GOD!!!!!!!!!!! Unless he has a large room, thats WAY too big of a TV. My boss is 16" away from his TV and 50" is the perfect size. Gotta REALLY disagree that he needs something that size.
At 16 feet away, you're not going to be able to discern HD res on a 50" screen.  Might as well get a big EDTV set and save some cash.  I have a 50" set and sit 8 feet away, and it's just about perfect.    Twice that distance... meh.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 06:33:42 PM by Laner » Logged
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2006, 06:32:29 PM »

To further complicate this matter I have to let you know that I'm planning on using the bonus money I'm getting as most of the downpayment and putting the rest on layaway at WalMart. 

Didn't WalMart just announce they were doing away with the layaway program?  Pretty sure they did but maybe it doesn't go into effect right away . . .

Anyway, perhaps someone can provide an answer but I've heard that projectors are a bad idea because the bulbs need to be replaced every few years at a high cost ($2-300) and that DLP can also involve a high maintenance cost; something about the special chip wearing out.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2006, 06:33:19 PM »

Quote from: Laner on October 03, 2006, 06:31:42 PM

At 16 feet away, you're not going to be able to discern HD res on a 50" screen.  Might as well get a big EDTV set and save some cash.

I disagree 100% and my own eyes have validated my belief. I would love for you to see my boss's set, on DSCHD Theater or something on HDNET, at 16" away, and tell me it doesn't look incredible.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2006, 06:35:28 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on October 03, 2006, 06:32:29 PM

To further complicate this matter I have to let you know that I'm planning on using the bonus money I'm getting as most of the downpayment and putting the rest on layaway at WalMart. 

Didn't WalMart just announce they were doing away with the layaway program?  Pretty sure they did but maybe it doesn't go into effect right away . . .

Anyway, perhaps someone can provide an answer but I've heard that projectors are a bad idea because the bulbs need to be replaced every few years at a high cost ($2-300) and that DLP can also involve a high maintenance cost; something about the special chip wearing out.

Projectors are nice, but damn they are expensive, and yes, the bulbs can cost a lot. DLP sets, as far as I know, aren't any more expensive to work on than LCD's or Plasma, but their FREQUENCY OF REPAIR, has been higher than the other sets, since they have come out. All technologies are getting better, but it should be noted that DLP sets have been more problematic, but probably not worth damning them over, just something to consider on an expensive purchase.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2006, 06:35:43 PM »

My eyes say different, but that's opinions for ya.  smile

Edit: a nice little calculator that bears out my opinion...

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

Check the bottom figures (viewing distance based on visual acuity)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 06:39:39 PM by Laner » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2006, 06:42:03 PM »

Quote from: jblank on October 03, 2006, 06:33:19 PM

At 16 feet away, you're not going to be able to discern HD res on a 50" screen.  Might as well get a big EDTV set and save some cash.

I disagree 100% and my own eyes have validated my belief. I would love for you to see my boss's set, on DSCHD Theater or something on HDNET, at 16" away, and tell me it doesn't look incredible.

Heh, actually THX and SMTE recommendations for set size at 12' away would have you at anywhere from 77" to 90+".  I think that's a bit high for regular viewing but those recommendations are really based on trying to achieve the theater experience.   

Personally, I'm about 9 feet from my 55" TV and I would never go any smaller and even kind of wish I had gone with 65" instead. 
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2006, 06:44:17 PM »

I'll stick with what I see in the real world, not what someone put together. People need to believe their own eyes, not someone elses.

Anyway, its easy to verify what I am saying, but I digress and am moving on.

TK, go to CC or BB, get 12" away or so from a 50" TV and then see how it looks. If you don't like it, go bigger, but most people I know, "in the biz" say that for a sitting distance of 10-12 feet, 37" is fine, 42" is great, 50" is pushing it, unless you wall mount or have a big room.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2006, 06:44:53 PM »

Personally, I'm about 9 feet from my 55" TV and I would never go any smaller and even kind of wish I had gone with 65" instead.
That's been my experience too.  I have a 50" set at 8' away, and occasionally I'll wish I had of sprung for the 56 incher, and be *very* glad I didn't go with the 42. 

I'll stick with what I see in the real world, not what someone put together.

Damn that math and science!! slywink
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 06:46:41 PM by Laner » Logged
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2006, 06:45:43 PM »

This is the last year it's available.  After Dec 12th, thhhpppt.  Done.

Avoid those Plasma units like the plague. All 4 are crap.

Swell.

Do you not like direct view LCD's?

Too expensive for anything over 37" and I'm looking for 47" minimum.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2006, 06:47:13 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 03, 2006, 06:42:03 PM

Heh, actually THX and SMTE recommendations for set size at 12' away would have you at anywhere from 77" to 90+".  I think that's a bit high for regular viewing but those recommendations are really based on trying to achieve the theater experience.   

Sheesh, you guys must be blind or something.  eek :icon_biggrin:My wife and I are 7 feet from our 26" Bravia LCD and see it perfectly. Our room is rectangular, and impossible to set up lengthwise, so we're close to the set and are fine with the way it looks. The 23" Sony Wega LCD we had down there was too small and we moved it into the bedroom, but for us 26" is fine.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2006, 06:48:01 PM »

Quote from: jblank on October 03, 2006, 06:44:17 PM

TK, go to CC or BB, get 12" away or so from a 50" TV and then see how it looks. If you don't like it, go bigger, but most people I know, "in the biz" say that for a sitting distance of 10-12 feet, 37" is fine, 42" is great, 50" is pushing it, unless you wall mount or have a big room.

So THX and SMTE aren't "in the biz"?  I'm just pulling your chain a bit but, man, 37" is pretty small for 10-12 feet and 50" is by no means pushing it.  My in-law's TV is 42" and at probably 12 feet it doesn't seem big at all. 
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2006, 06:48:48 PM »

I'm about 40 yards away from the lady across the street, and her 60" plasma looks great.  In fact, it looks so good, I get the HD experience without actually having to waste my money on one!  All I need to do is to work out an more effective way of having her change the channel for me.  icon_lol

I always kinda viewed the DLP's as the poor mans HD, no offense but I haven't seen a DLP yet that impressed me with the picture when compared to a nice Plasma or LCD TV.  Vizio's have the best picture I have seen for the money, you can see them in the store next to the DLP's and there isn't any comparison at all..  Of course this is my opinion from looking at them every week at the local Costco while I watch their prices go down, down, down, waiting for the moment to strike.   ninja

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2006, 06:51:00 PM »

Quote from: Laner on October 03, 2006, 06:44:53 PM

That's been my experience too.  I have a 50" set at 8' away, and occasionally I'll wish I had of sprung for the 56 incher, and be *very* glad I didn't go with the 42. 

I'll stick with what I see in the real world, not what someone put together.

Damn that math and science!! slywink

Laner, I have assisted with 3 installs of TV's over 50" in size, all of which are in rooms where the user is between 12 and 16 feet away from the TV. NONE, ZERO, ZIP, NADA, of those viewers have ever regretted their decision to go with that size and the TV's picture looks awesome on all 3. As anyone in the computer business will tell you (thats my trade for the record) what you see in "the books" and what you actually experience "in the field" is very different. This is no different and most people don't have the room to accomodate 56"+ screens anyway.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2006, 06:51:57 PM »

Quote from: jblank on October 03, 2006, 06:47:13 PM

Sheesh, you guys must be blind or something.  eek :icon_biggrin:My wife and I are 7 feet from our 26" Bravia LCD and see it perfectly. Our room is rectangular, and impossible to set up lengthwise, so we're close to the set and are fine with the way it looks. The 23" Sony Wega LCD we had down there was too small and we moved it into the bedroom, but for us 26" is fine.

FWIW, for me it's not about being able to see "fine".  I could see a 27" TV at 12 feet away just fine.  But for my home theater it's about immersion so I want a TV big enough to really put me in the movie but not so big that I can see the pixels.  The whole idea behind home theater for me is to try and replicate the theater going experience as close as possible so bigger is definitely better in that case (assuming quality remains constant).  Of course, I really don't need to see Trading Spaces at 100" so, for now, 55" is a good place to settle.  But it's my wife and I are hoping someday to have a dedicated "theater room" with projector just for movie watching. 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2006, 06:53:00 PM »

Quote from: Devil on October 03, 2006, 03:11:28 PM

The only problem you might run into is 'rainbows' but the newer projectors have faster color wheels that should prevent that, if you'd even see them at all.

crybaby I see em, no DLP for me.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2006, 06:53:33 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 03, 2006, 06:48:01 PM

Quote from: jblank on October 03, 2006, 06:44:17 PM

So THX and SMTE aren't "in the biz"?  I'm just pulling your chain a bit but, man, 37" is pretty small for 10-12 feet and 50" is by no means pushing it.  My in-law's TV is 42" and at probably 12 feet it doesn't seem big at all. 

Dude they recommend 900 feet sets, how realistic do you think that is? Come on, I help some guys at one of our locally owned electronics houses out from time to time and I know what these guys say, I see what they install, and I help install it, then, I watch and I tinker, and I listen to the customer, and I'm tellin' ya, unless you are Ray Charles, a 56" set or bigger, for 10 feet away, is a bit much.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2006, 06:53:47 PM »

FWIW, for me it's not about being able to see "fine".  I could see a 27" TV at 12 feet away just fine.  But for my home theater it's about immersion so I want a TV big enough to really put me in the movie but not so big that I can see the pixels.  The whole idea behind home theater for me is to try and replicate the theater going experience as close as possible so bigger is definitely better in that case (assuming quality remains constant).
Exactly.  I'm not going to shell out $2000+ for "fine".  I want penis-compensatingly large  Tongue
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 06:57:24 PM by Laner » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2006, 06:54:21 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on October 03, 2006, 06:48:48 PM

I always kinda viewed the DLP's as the poor mans HD, no offense but I haven't seen a DLP yet that impressed me with the picture when compared to a nice Plasma or LCD TV.  Vizio's have the best picture I have seen for the money, you can see them in the store next to the DLP's and there isn't any comparison at all..  Of course this is my opinion from looking at them every week at the local Costco while I watch their prices go down, down, down, waiting for the moment to strike.   ninja

Never, ever judge a  TV based on what you see in the store.  Outside of high end electronics stores, most store employees don't have a clue on how to set them up and calibrate them. 
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2006, 06:56:33 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 03, 2006, 06:51:57 PM

Quote from: jblank on October 03, 2006, 06:47:13 PM

Sheesh, you guys must be blind or something.  eek :icon_biggrin:My wife and I are 7 feet from our 26" Bravia LCD and see it perfectly. Our room is rectangular, and impossible to set up lengthwise, so we're close to the set and are fine with the way it looks. The 23" Sony Wega LCD we had down there was too small and we moved it into the bedroom, but for us 26" is fine.

FWIW, for me it's not about being able to see "fine".  I could see a 27" TV at 12 feet away just fine.  But for my home theater it's about immersion so I want a TV big enough to really put me in the movie but not so big that I can see the pixels.  The whole idea behind home theater for me is to try and replicate the theater going experience as close as possible so bigger is definitely better in that case (assuming quality remains constant).  Of course, I really don't need to see Trading Spaces at 100" so, for now, 55" is a good place to settle.  But it's my wife and I are hoping someday to have a dedicated "theater room" with projector just for movie watching. 

It's good to have goals and a theater room would be awesome, but I'm thinking about Joe Average's TV room, and I don't see many of them out there where you can put a 55" screen in there and not make it look like crap. For 80% of the countries homes, its overkill, but sure, for people that have the room for it, go as big as you can, I agree with that.

TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2006, 06:57:18 PM »

FWIW, for me it's not about being able to see "fine".  I could see a 27" TV at 12 feet away just fine.  But for my home theater it's about immersion so I want a TV big enough to really put me in the movie but not so big that I can see the pixels.  The whole idea behind home theater for me is to try and replicate the theater going experience as close as possible so bigger is definitely better in that case (assuming quality remains constant).  Of course, I really don't need to see Trading Spaces at 100" so, for now, 55" is a good place to settle.  But it's my wife and I are hoping someday to have a dedicated "theater room" with projector just for movie watching.  

Kinda what I'm after as well.

If that marks me as an ignorant unwashed hillbilly that's impressed by "the big purty picamature" and upon whom the finer things like lumen count and infinite refresh rates are lost, well, then so be it.

I just want a big, decent picture with no jaggies.

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2006, 06:57:46 PM »

Vizio's have the best picture I have seen for the money, you can see them in the store next to the DLP's and there isn't any comparison at all..  Of course this is my opinion from looking at them every week at the local Costco while I watch their prices go down, down, down, waiting for the moment to strike.   ninja

We sell HD TV's (plasma and LCD's, up to about 42") where I work.  Just looking at these TV's side by side is not a really good way to judge them.  The reason is because they have a million adjustments on them to the point where I can pretty much make one that looks "brighter" look "darker" or the one that looks "more colorful" look "less colorful."  Throw into that the tricks retailers use to try and get you to buy bigger and more expensive TV's and I think it's best to make a decision on brand quality reputation and price rather than looks.

That said, I love my Samsung HDTV and think it looks better than anything else I've seen.  icon_lol

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2006, 06:58:58 PM »

I'm about 40 yards away from the lady across the street, and her 60" plasma looks great.  In fact, it looks so good, I get the HD experience without actually having to waste my money on one!  All I need to do is to work out an more effective way of having her change the channel for me.  icon_lol

RPCRT is "poor mans HD". DLP is fine and out of the box might offer about the best picture, but to me, the picture looks too blown up and uneven on my buddies, even after we used the "poor mans" THX calibration DVD. I think he has something wrong with his, but he says it looks fine to him, so no big deal I guess.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: