http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 12:36:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plasma or LCD  (Read 3662 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2008, 03:56:37 AM »

In the 32" range for a TV whats better..LCD or Plasma..I know Plasma seems to be the fad these days but LCD is looking real nice too now. I love my LCD monitor but what about TVs? This would go at the foot of a bed..it would be rent to own of course so no worries if we dont really like it..just return it. But again..whats best? Heat or power isn't really a concern. Clarity is the first priority since its so close to us. Next might be sound. Do plasma tvs have to warm up or do lcd ones?

Any opinions welcome.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 04:03:11 AM »

At that size you'll have a hard time finding anything other than LCD... Plasma screens tend to start at 40" and up.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 04:12:37 AM »

Well moving up in size is ok to a point..nothing larger than 52". 42" would be good too. We've gotten so much at our local rent to own and paid off they will give us 6 months same as cash smile

Also any brands to avoid? Im not sure what the store even has but would like to know of any stinkers.

noun
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 04:13:24 AM »

With what money are you renting this TV? I thought you were unemployed?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 04:22:41 AM by noun » Logged
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 04:23:33 AM »

Rent to own?  You can't be fucking serious.

gellar
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 04:28:25 AM »

Ya rent to own. Wont get high prices by having 6 months same as cash and a normal payoff price.

Well rent to own is like $50 a month so its affordable. We replaced all our bulbs with CF bulbs and the power bill went from $200+ to $89 a month smile

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 04:39:01 AM »

In general you end up paying twice normal market value with a rent to own plan.  You'd probably be much better off saving your money for 6 months and just buy one. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Mookee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 04:41:33 AM »

In order to save $120 a month on your power bill just by changing to CF's you would have to replace about 55 60 watt regular light bulbs. Damn dude.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 05:04:10 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on June 04, 2008, 04:39:01 AM

In general you end up paying twice normal market value with a rent to own plan.  You'd probably be much better off saving your money for 6 months and just buy one. 

Exactly.  I mean generally I'm all for making money off of the stupid, but two practices are SUCH extremes that I cannot for the life of me figure out why people do them:  Rent to Own and Payday Advances.  It's fucking BAFFLING that these things are even legal.

gellar
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 05:17:04 AM »

Yes I usually agree on the rent to own ripoffs. Like I saw a PSP for $1000 after final payments. But they had a tv the wife said that was arounf $600. If we pay $600 before 6 months is up then thats it...now if you just pay minimum each month then its liek a credit card..the sucker would end up costing over $1500 probably.

we trent rent to own like a lay-a-way. No one has that much anymore but you can do that with rent to own.

And I guess total lights we replaced were 34. Also i unplug the stove unless I use it...keeps crazy old granny from turjing the damn 220 stove on and leaving it all day smile

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 05:37:30 AM »

You realize most electronics stores are going to sell that same TV for less than MSRP (which is AT LEAST what the RTO center is selling it for) AND offer something ridiculous like 24 months 0% APR on their credit card, right?  The difference in savings in that vs what you are proposing to do is insane.

RTO only exists for people who have made SUCH poor financial decisions that they can't even get a motherfucking Sears, Circuit City or Best Buy credit card.  Those are the only people who need RTO, and honestly, those are the only people who are actually financially dumb enough to even consider using RTO.

Of course, why I am posting common sense in this thread is beyond me.  I should probably back out now.

gellar
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 11:43:36 AM »

Quote from: gellar on June 04, 2008, 05:37:30 AM

You realize most electronics stores are going to sell that same TV for less than MSRP (which is AT LEAST what the RTO center is selling it for) AND offer something ridiculous like 24 months 0% APR on their credit card, right?  The difference in savings in that vs what you are proposing to do is insane.

RTO only exists for people who have made SUCH poor financial decisions that they can't even get a motherfucking Sears, Circuit City or Best Buy credit card.  Those are the only people who need RTO, and honestly, those are the only people who are actually financially dumb enough to even consider using RTO.

Of course, why I am posting common sense in this thread is beyond me.  I should probably back out now.

gellar

Seriously, you either are writing this to hear yourself speak or setting up the "seriously Daehawk, are you FUCKING kidding me" reply later on. Since I am not supposed to make fun of Daehawk anymore I am instead making fun of you. Jesus christ.
Montag
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 11:44:28 AM »

Quote from: gellar on June 04, 2008, 05:37:30 AM

gellar

Sometimes love hurts.  More pain is required.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 01:07:41 PM »

Daehawk, not to tell you how to run your finances, but put down that same $50 a month and wait till you have enough $$$ to buy one at a store.  By then your tv your saving for will more than likely drop in price and be a ton cheaper than what you would have paid at a RTO store.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 01:07:49 PM »

Buy a used 32" HDTV off of someone upgrading to something bigger and newer.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 01:42:51 PM »

I have to agree with Gellar; stay away from the RTO's dude. That's just throwing out good money after bad.

Get yourself a savings account and toss it all in there. Sets are dropping in price; you could be looking at a substantial savings over the next 6 months and getting something from a real store rather than the snake-oil sellers.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 01:44:02 PM »

As to recommendations, I'd be looking at a sharp LCD or Samsung.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 01:52:39 PM »

At christmas time I bought a nice 32" LCD from Westinghouse for $500 at best buy. (What a bargain!) The TV has been used exclusively for video games, and I've been very happy with it. It has a ton of different inputs (2 HD, component, VGA, HDMI), and I've been very pleased with it. I can't tell you much about the sound quality from it's speakers though as I bought a sound system to go with it and never run any sound through it except basic cable.
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 01:53:35 PM »

According to a 1997 PIRG Rent-to-Own ("RTO") survey, (1) Nationally, RTO stores charge an average effective APR of 100%, although APRs are not disclosed; (2) RTO stores charge effective APRs ranging from 16% to 275% for televisions and refrigerators; (3) purchasing items via rent-to-own at RTO stores costs 2-5 times as much as purchasing the same items at department and discount stores.

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
Shinjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2008, 01:54:02 PM »

At the foot of the bed?  I wouldn't go larger than a 32" unless *everything* you watch is HD.  SD on something like a 40" at that range will look atrocious.  The "pixel" size will make you swear you're watching some crappy youtube video.  (32" may be pushing it at that range as well.)

And if I recall, with a 32" screen going 1080p/i will be a waste.  Better to just stick with 720p.  All broadcast HD programming is 720p and if you go with Blu-Ray you won't be able to tell the difference on that screen between 720p and 1080p (except with your pocketbook).
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2008, 02:48:15 PM »

Don't forget that those TV's are power hungry as well.  You will be wiping out a portion of your light bulb savings.  RTO is a silly idea as well but if your desperate I guess go for it.  Watch out for hidden payoff fees.

morlac00 on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 02:48:50 PM »

Make sure you buy it at Costco if you do buy one.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Shinjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 03:22:53 PM »

Quote from: morlac on June 04, 2008, 02:48:15 PM

Don't forget that those TV's are power hungry as well.

Plasmas much more so than LCDs.  Though the LCDs are starting to get reasonable, IMO.  I had a 27" CRT that was rated for 219W.  The 40" Sony LCD I replaced it with (KDL-40W3000) is Energy Star rated at 235W.
noun
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2008, 06:02:38 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on June 04, 2008, 04:28:25 AM

Ya rent to own. Wont get high prices by having 6 months same as cash and a normal payoff price.

Well rent to own is like $50 a month so its affordable. We replaced all our bulbs with CF bulbs and the power bill went from $200+ to $89 a month smile

I thought you were nearly toothless and your wife was suffering from some serious medical conditions? If you suddenly have $50 extra per month, shouldn't you be using the money for medical reasons instead?
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2008, 06:16:30 PM »

or lottery tickets?

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2008, 06:57:21 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on June 04, 2008, 03:56:37 AM

Heat or power isn't really a concern

Power should be a concern!! LCD's suck down a lot less power than plasmas!! Think of all the salmon you'll be killing as they try to get upstream past the turbines chugging harder to fuel your plasma screen!

Shame on you for even thinking about a plasma TV.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2008, 06:35:40 PM »

Quote from: noun on June 04, 2008, 06:02:38 PM

Quote from: Daehawk on June 04, 2008, 04:28:25 AM

I thought you were nearly toothless and....

teehee  icon_lol
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2008, 06:45:05 PM »

Ya going to dentist when the stimulas check comes. This would be a small payment each week. We cant seem to save anything but making small payments is easy.

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2008, 06:52:39 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on June 05, 2008, 06:45:05 PM

Ya going to dentist when the stimulas check comes. This would be a small payment each week. We cant seem to save anything but making small payments is easy.

The contradictions in your statement are hilarious and kinda sad at the same time.

morlac00 on PSN
The Meal
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2008, 06:55:18 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on June 05, 2008, 06:45:05 PM

Consider making small payments into a savings account until you can pay outright for the exact TV you want.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2008, 07:04:13 PM »

Yeah.  It's not my place to tell you how to live your life or manage your finances, Daehawk, except that you make them a public spectacle around here anyway.  You know, you don't have to immediately spend every bit of money the very moment it comes in the door.   Surely they have banks in whatever circle of hell in which you reside.  Consider, perhaps, opening a savings account, and putting that $50 a month away, so the next time some disaster occurs, you can cope with it, rather than spending twice as much as you should on a television you can't afford.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 07:28:30 PM by IkeVandergraaf » Logged

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2008, 07:37:19 PM »

Ya didn't have to edit you post Ike. Im much more calm these days and relaxed smile

We're just that way. If we try to save money a little at a time something ALWAYS comes up where we need to use it. Never fails. But if we already have an item like the tv and are making small payments on it then we can do that every time.

Our money woes have eased lately. I am better as far as my pain is. i actually got my kidney stone blasted apart. took 2 trips. We have begun to get tools like a chainsaw and our cousin gave us a weedeater so Im starting to get the house and yard in shape. things are looking up.

Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2008, 07:43:49 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on June 05, 2008, 07:37:19 PM

We're just that way. If we try to save money a little at a time something ALWAYS comes up where we need to use it. Never fails. But if we already have an item like the tv and are making small payments on it then we can do that every time.

Start up a 6-month CD and make your payments (automatically if possible) into the CD.  They tend to love it if you add money to a CD, but the penalties for early withdrawal usually keep you away from going after that money for non-budgeted items...

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2008, 07:51:43 PM »

I'd wait until Best Buy has a 2-3 years no-interest deal and go that route. Basically rent to own without all the extra cost (as long as you pay it off before the end of the time).
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2008, 08:06:58 PM »

Or better yet - use a library instead of a tv.  Free and the programming is better.
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2008, 08:37:28 PM »

Quote from: jpinard on June 05, 2008, 08:06:58 PM

Or better yet - use a library instead of a tv.  Free and the programming is better.
Really?  Do they have satellite instead of cable?
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2008, 08:44:47 PM »

Anyhoo can we get back on topic for the TV info plz..thnx all.

Simon...whats this Best Buy no interest you mentioned? Is that with their own credit card or something?

Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2008, 08:50:04 PM »

If you have to rent to own, then you cannot afford it.

Besides, bedrooms are for sleeping and boinking, neither of which require a TV.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Zimix

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2008, 09:21:18 PM »

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on June 05, 2008, 08:50:04 PM

Besides, bedrooms are for sleeping and boinking, neither of which require a TV.

This requires the obvious Road Trip quote:

Yeah, wait. Did you just say the word 'boinked'?
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2008, 09:46:20 PM »

Ya didn't have to edit you post Ike. Im much more calm these days and relaxed smile

I know.  I thought it sounded too mean.

Yes, but the "something" will come up regardless.  Better you should have the money to pay for it.  Also, don't forget that paying for HD usually costs extra also.

In any event, you are correct.  The discussion of your personal finances is irrelevant to the LCD vs. plasma discussion (except that you brought it up).
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 09:47:52 PM by IkeVandergraaf » Logged

Gamertag = IkeV
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: