http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 04:00:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Planet like Earth found in star's habitable zone  (Read 571 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2011, 07:17:24 AM »

Scientists and their Kepler spacecraft have discovered for the first time a planet in distant space that is much like Earth, circling a sun-like star and lying in a region neither too hot nor too cold for an atmosphere that could support some form of life.

The temperature on that planet, the scientists say, probably is a comfortable 72 degrees, rain or shine.

The planet, whose discovery was announced Monday at NASA's Ames Research Center in Mountain View, was first detected by NASA's Kepler spacecraft two years ago, shortly after it began surveying 155,000 stars in the constellations Cygnus and Lyra.

Dubbed Kepler 22b, the planet exists in what astronomers call the habitable zone of a solar system at whose center is a star only a little smaller and fainter than Earth's sun. It lies about 600 light-years away and is 2.4 times Earth's size, although its mass is still unknown, said William Borucki, the leader of the Kepler science team.

Kepler 22b circles its sun every 290 days, compared with Earth's year of 365 days, the Kepler team has determined.
Listening for life

The planet's discovery is intriguing enough that astronomers at the SETI Institute in Mountain View are about to tune their array of 42 radio telescopes, located in a valley near Redding, to listen for possible signals that could - just conceivably - indicate there's a civilization on the planet.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/12/05/BA511M8I5O.DTL&type=science

Bringing the wooly mammoth back to life, getting closer to finding Sil.. what's next, the discovery of Big Foot?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 12:00:17 PM »

...to listen for possible signals that could - just conceivably - indicate there's there was a civilization with the ability and will to broadcast transmissions on the planet 600 years ago.

Fixed that for them.

Exciting stuff nonetheless!
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 12:06:44 PM »

Lies. The only life in the ENTIRE universe was put on this earth by the ghost that lives in cloud city. I thought you guys all knew that already.

icon_twisted
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 12:59:31 PM »

I'm the kind of excited I was when thinking about Santa as a kid.  Hopefully, this'll turn out to be more real, but even if not, the existence of such a planet says a lot.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 04:27:27 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on December 06, 2011, 12:06:44 PM

Lies. The only life in the ENTIRE universe was put on this earth by the ghost that lives in cloud city. I thought you guys all knew that already.

icon_twisted

Aw, yeah!

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 05:23:16 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 06, 2011, 12:59:31 PM

I'm the kind of excited I was when thinking about Santa as a kid.  Hopefully, this'll turn out to be more real, but even if not, the existence of such a planet says a lot.
I'm with you, but what if the planet is populated by a technologically advanced carnivorous species of humanoid lizard that can grow and graft organic skin to look like the inhabitants of other worlds?  Their world is dying, and they're running out of blue energy.

It all started because we saw the telltale signs of planet wobble.

Or, what if we just discovered the Imperium of Man, and soon all of us will be conscripted into a dark universe where there is only WAR.   
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 06:06:14 PM »

I saw an article that said it was 72 degrees there.  How can they possibly know this?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 06:06:59 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on December 06, 2011, 06:06:14 PM

I saw an article that said it was 72 degrees there.  How can they possibly know this?

because the planet also has a Stargate on it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 06:07:36 PM »

They vacationed there last year   icon_wink

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 06:37:56 PM »

I was watching a documentary on SyFy last night called Neverland, and I learned that planets can actually exist inside softball sized globes of glass.  It's possible this planet is inside a glass ball, and we've been visiting it for years.  They just made up all of the planet wobble stuff to make it seem plausible. 
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 07:28:47 PM »

Who's to say they won't look something like this?:

I heard through an anonymous source that the movie was based off of true events.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 08:07:48 PM »

An invasion I could get behind.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 08:22:45 PM »

Quote from: Zap Brannigan
Now there's a wave of destruction that's easy on the eyes.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 09:06:34 PM »

Now it'll only take 600 years at the speed of light to get there, lets get goin !
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 09:20:25 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on December 06, 2011, 06:06:14 PM

They can't. I imagine that they are basing that on the planet's distance from its sun and assuming an earthlike atmosphere.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 10:51:09 PM »

They're also assuming the Star Wars model of one planet, one climate, apparently. slywink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: