http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 12:16:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Planet Earth - New Discovery Mini-series  (Read 1130 times)
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2007, 03:39:48 AM »

Anyone catch this tonight?  My wife and I watched the first episode Pole to Pole (we're DVR'ing the rest), and we were absolutely stunned by the footage.  I highly recommend it to anyone who even kind of likes nature shows.  It was fantastic.

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 11:15:05 AM »

Waiting to watch it on HD DVD at the end of April.  Discovery HD is pretty, HD DVD is prettier.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 12:11:53 PM »

I don't get discovery! Bravo shitty cable, bravo. Anyways, this sounds really interesting. My interest in space and the solar system has gone way up again recently and I would love to watch a program like this in HD.
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 01:12:05 PM »

Oh yeah... Thankfully I recorder them last night.  I forgot about them and watched a crappy movie instead.  I'll watch one tonight for sure.
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 04:43:14 PM »

This series seems like it's going to be an awesome series.  smile  I watched the "Oceans Deep" one last night.  Really, really, cool!  Especially in HD!  smile  Got it set up to be recorded as they come on. 
dmd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 04:56:06 PM »

My dogs have never even acknowledged that I have a tv.   One section of the show was about pumas; my ridgeback's instincts kicked in when she saw them and she went into hunting mode. Pretty cool.  I don't even have HD or an HDtv.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 08:27:32 PM »

yes i saw it (the first part).  very pretty.  i actually ended up less interested in the animal parts and more so in the terrain imagery.  i like how they constantly made reference to "mysterious, previously impossible camera technology" - im convinced the footage was filmed from a predator drone on loan from the dia / cia / whoever has authority over that thing (for the longest time no one wanted to sign on - apparently discovery are the caretakers smile)
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 11:40:17 PM »

Quote from: dmd on March 26, 2007, 04:56:06 PM

My dogs have never even acknowledged that I have a tv.   One section of the show was about pumas; my ridgeback's instincts kicked in when she saw them and she went into hunting mode. Pretty cool.  I don't even have HD or an HDtv.

My dog regularly watches TV (Shrek being her absolute favorite).  She basically focussed on this who the entire hour.  It is pretty neat watching a Dog watch TV.

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 12:01:59 AM »

I watched the first two episodes in HD. It really is some jaw-dropping stuff.  thumbsup
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 04:50:46 AM »

If this show wasn't in HD would any of you still bother watching it? slywink

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
warning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 01:15:32 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on March 28, 2007, 04:50:46 AM

It's an awesome show whether it's in HD or not.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 12:58:06 AM »

Quote from: warning on March 28, 2007, 01:15:32 PM

Quote from: Ridah on March 28, 2007, 04:50:46 AM

It's an awesome show whether it's in HD or not.

I completely agree.  I do have a HDTV, with HD Cable, however, our HD receiver is on the standard TV in our bedroom (because the receiver includes the DVR and we watch recorded shows in the bedroom).  Therefore, it really takes something special (Superbowl, football, etc.) for me to move the HD receiver into the room with the HD TV. 

This show is worth watching on any TV.  It is fantastic.

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007, 08:50:02 PM »

I watched the first couple episodes last night.  Amazing footage (even more so in HD)...the diversity of life on the planet never ceases to amaze me.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2007, 09:23:48 PM »

Wow!  I just caught a bit of the Pole to Pole episode and the footage of the great white shark was unbelievable!  I have 3 episodes on the tivo and can't wait to watch em all.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2007, 10:18:43 PM »

Amazing series.   I'm looking forward to the next three sunday night.    Pole to Pole gave you an overall appreciation of the wonders of our planet, and how it is teeming with life on literally every square inch.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2007, 03:53:34 AM »

The GF and I have been debating whether or not to buy these on HD DVD at the end of April, or just watch them on TV/rent from Netflix.  Using a few coupon codes at WBs store, I can get the HD DVD set for $57 shipped.  We decided to watch a few episodes and decide based on that.

We DVRd three of them, and watched the one about mountain ranges.  After it was over, we immediately decided to order the set, and wait to watch them on that.

The footage was stunning, and I can't wait to see how amazing it should look on HD DVD.  I bet this immediately becomes the showcase HD DVD, replacing Batman Begins.

Simon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2007, 08:02:05 PM »

I'll watch anything on Discovery HD nowadays but Planet Earth is definitely one of the best things to be shown. The oceans one was jaw dropping. I only wish though that they had gone with the Richard Attenborough narration instead of switching it to Sigourney Weaver. I'm tempted to order the set from the UK (since there is no region encoding) just to hear him instead, I think it would be that much better with him.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: