http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 02:16:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pillow talk  (Read 1582 times)
unbreakable
« on: February 02, 2006, 02:13:24 AM »

My neck is KILLING me.  I need to replace my five+ year old, squished, ten dollar Wal-Mart pillows.

A friend is always going on and on about how great his $100 each down pillows are.  At this point, spending the $200 would seem like a great exchange to get rid of this pain.

Anyway, any experiences?  Any (hopefully) cheaper alternatives?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 02:27:29 AM »

I have a pillow that has an indent through the center.  It was about 20 bucks and solved most of my headaches that I get from sleeping.  Down pillow = me getting poked in the face with a feather at 2:00am = me putting the pillow into the fire pit and lighting it on fire at 2:01am.  smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 03:30:56 AM »

The old feather poke is exactly why I swore off anything with down in it.   I bought a memory foam pad for my mattress and it's worked out pretty well.  I've seen pillows made of the stuff and they're supposedly good for you.  I also saw an informercial for a pillow filled with buckwheat husks or something.

Either way, you should never skimp when it comes to your bed. Tou spend a ton of time in it so if you're going to invest your money somewhere, might as well be there.

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 03:45:01 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
I have a pillow that has an indent through the center.  It was about 20 bucks and solved most of my headaches that I get from sleeping.

I bought one of these at Target for ~$18.  They are made out of dense foam and work great.  I haven't had a crick in my neck since I've had it.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 04:11:33 AM »

Still looking for the perfect down pillow,  myself - they seem to work best for my constant aches, pains, and cricks!  I live through the feathers occasionally sticking out of the double covering I have on it, for the ability to mold it into whatever shape is most comfie at the time.

Then again, mine was only like 30 bucks - Martha Stewart of all brands, you know, "before."  I"m sure there's a 50 to 100 dollar version out there somewhere that is not prone to the feather seepage!

I've had no luck finding a comfortable orthopedic or memory foam pillow - they're either too flat, too fat, or just plain bizarrely-shaped.  No comments, please on your pillow partners!  :twisted:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 04:17:25 AM »

I splurged and bought a $100 goose down pillow at Bed, Bath and Beyond last year.  It was so worth it.  There's a huge difference comparing it to my previous cheapo pillow.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 05:21:07 AM »

Quote from: "RightBastard"
The old feather poke is exactly why I swore off anything with down in it.   I bought a memory foam pad for my mattress and it's worked out pretty well.  I've seen pillows made of the stuff and they're supposedly good for you.  I also saw an informercial for a pillow filled with buckwheat husks or something.

Either way, you should never skimp when it comes to your bed. Tou spend a ton of time in it so if you're going to invest your money somewhere, might as well be there.

My wife has the buckwheat husk pillow.  She likes it but she said its not that much better than her current 'normal' pillow.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 05:56:16 AM »

Quote from: "Freezer-TPF-"
Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
I have a pillow that has an indent through the center.  It was about 20 bucks and solved most of my headaches that I get from sleeping.

I bought one of these at Target for ~$18.  They are made out of dense foam and work great.  I haven't had a crick in my neck since I've had it.

Any chance you could find it on Target.com and link it here?  I need to replace one of my pillows but putting in the word "pillow" into the search nets an insane # of results.

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
unbreakable
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 07:13:23 AM »

Pillows?

Are the "Memory Foam" pillows the one you have, Freezer?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006, 08:08:18 AM »

Thank goodness for this topic, I have had a terrible time sleeping and it's probably my pillow that's doing it.  I just can't get my head comfortable enough to relax at night.

I'll look into these pillows next time I go shopping, hopefully this'll help my insomnia.
unbreakable
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2006, 08:17:15 AM »

Check out some of the pillows in the Target link: they are on sale right now.
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2006, 09:37:10 AM »

I find cheap pillows are fine as long as you know they're the right "size" for you. They thing is you really need to change pillows every couple of months or so.That's the secret.When your neck starts getting sore it's time for a new one.
Between the two of us the wife and I went thru about 10 pillows last year.All exactly alike.
I've tried the fancy expensive pillows too and they're fine except they don't seem to last any longer than the cheap ones.I mean come on, $10 every couple of months?You saving your pillows for your grandchildren?

Ye Olde Farte
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2006, 04:25:38 PM »

I splurged and bought a $100 goose down pillow at Bed, Bath and Beyond last year. It was so worth it. There's a huge difference comparing it to my previous cheapo pillow.

Thanks, Nth!  I like  my cheap down pillow so much I've been living with the feathers sticking through.  Even the cheap one is just so "adjustable" I can always find a comfortable position "for me" - my muscle disorder means I still have pain, but less pain is what I'm always looking for.  I was hoping for a better quality down pillow for Christmas - but, darn, all I got was XBox 360 stuff, lol.  I needed your recommendation to convince myself to spend the money! smile

And despite that, I agree with dbt - until my neck pain got beyond a certain point, that was my strategy - a cheap pillow, of the right thickness worked great.  Like he said, you have to replace them when they get too "off size" for you.

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

unbreakable
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2006, 04:39:01 PM »

Quote from: "dbt1949"
I find cheap pillows are fine as long as you know they're the right "size" for you. They thing is you really need to change pillows every couple of months or so.That's the secret.When your neck starts getting sore it's time for a new one.
Between the two of us the wife and I went thru about 10 pillows last year.All exactly alike.
I've tried the fancy expensive pillows too and they're fine except they don't seem to last any longer than the cheap ones.I mean come on, $10 every couple of months?You saving your pillows for your grandchildren?

I guess the problem isn't so much the expense, but both the recurring cost and the inconvenience of going to the store and buying new ones all the time.

But yeah, a lot of the problem is really just being a cheapskate.  And a procrastinator.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2006, 06:08:49 PM »

Go to Brookstone and search Power NAP pillow.

I also have neck problems and the nap pillow from brookstone is truly awesome.

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2006, 08:28:41 PM »

FROM http://WWW.BROOKSTONE.COM (Use "Nap" as the keyword to see more than "just" the NAP Pillows):

NEW Brookstone NAP™ Pillows

Sumptuously soft and irresistibly cushy, Brookstone NAP™ Pillows were created in pursuit of the perfect nap. Recent clinical research has shown that a 15-20 minute nap can make you more alert, improve your focus, and give you more energy. Each Brookstone NAP™ Pillow combines a proprietary NapSoft™ microfabric cover with ultra-conforming NAP™ microbeads to bring you a one-of-a-kind sleep and relaxation experience. The moment you touch NAP’s unique material, a calming sensation sweeps over you, preparing your mind and body for a peaceful nap. Each pillow also comes with a free NAP™ Eye Mask. Add color to your NAP™ pillow with our plush, machine-washable NapSac™ covers (sold separately). So order your pillow today and experience the soothing, restorative powers of NAP™ for yourself.

Shown with optional Camel NAPSac cover (Not Included). Actual uncovered Power NAP™ pillow is white.

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2006, 10:23:49 PM »

Quote from: "mytocles"
FROM http://WWW.BROOKSTONE.COM (Use "Nap" as the keyword to see more than "just" the NAP Pillows):

NEW Brookstone NAP™ Pillows

Sumptuously soft and irresistibly cushy, Brookstone NAP™ Pillows were created in pursuit of the perfect nap. Recent clinical research has shown that a 15-20 minute nap can make you more alert, improve your focus, and give you more energy. Each Brookstone NAP™ Pillow combines a proprietary NapSoft™ microfabric cover with ultra-conforming NAP™ microbeads to bring you a one-of-a-kind sleep and relaxation experience. The moment you touch NAP’s unique material, a calming sensation sweeps over you, preparing your mind and body for a peaceful nap. Each pillow also comes with a free NAP™ Eye Mask. Add color to your NAP™ pillow with our plush, machine-washable NapSac™ covers (sold separately). So order your pillow today and experience the soothing, restorative powers of NAP™ for yourself.

Shown with optional Camel NAPSac cover (Not Included). Actual uncovered Power NAP™ pillow is white.

Thanks.  Get that one, or at least try it out.  I love mine.  My wife got one too and loves hers.  Our cats even love them.

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2006, 09:41:35 PM »

Good thread-- good ideas... I too continue to search the world over for a good pillow.

One thing i have found- a cheap pillow is just that-- if a pillow doesn't cost say what, 50 bucks or more- it prob won't work.

One year my brother asked for a pillow for christmas- it was 120 dollars.... I think he still has it- that was like 20 years ago-- point is, the pillow was that good.
Freezer-TPF-

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2006, 09:31:40 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
Pillows?

Are the "Memory Foam" pillows the one you have, Freezer?

I cannot remember exactly but that looks right.  I know I paid under $20 so I think I must have gotten this one.

The neck support you get from the concave shape is fantastic.

I am allergic to feathers/down, so that wasn't an option for me.

unbreakable
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2006, 10:14:42 AM »

I was going to order it online last week, but read the complaint about a "chemical odor".  Since I have had problems with other stuff in the past giving off smells, that had me worried.

Was this a problem?
Freezer-TPF-

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2006, 06:15:13 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
I was going to order it online last week, but read the complaint about a "chemical odor".  Since I have had problems with other stuff in the past giving off smells, that had me worried.

Was this a problem?

Not for me.  I noticed a sort of chemical smell when I first bought it, so I let it air out a bit before using it and don't recall really being bothered by it.  YMMV.

RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2006, 09:46:24 PM »

Memory foam tends to have an odor when it first comes out of the package.  I had to let my mattress topper air out for a few days before it stopped being noticeable.

Flannery O'Connor
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: