http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 08:06:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Phrases I hate.  (Read 3202 times)
lildrgn
Gaming Trend Senior Member

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 15, 2004, 04:43:43 PM »

Cowboy Up

Nothing is lamer to me than that phrase. I see it on stickers on the backs of trucks. The entire Red Sox team used it as their rallying cry 2 years ago. What the hell does it mean? Is it like when you're biking and someone says, "Car back"? Do I look up to see a Cowboy?

Holy Hell

I have a friend that uses that phrase all the time and it sounds so forced and premeditated when he says it I want to stuff a fist down his throat. Plus, I've seen it on two thread topics in the past few days. Make it stop!

Mad props

Not so prevalent with the people I know, but whenever I watch tv (maybe I shouldn't watch tv), that seems to pop up somewhere. STOP TRYING TO BE COOL!! Just say "congratulations" and leave it at that!

What bugs you?

What drives you nuts?

Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 04:45:25 PM »

Cowboy Up

Nothing is lamer to me than that phrase. I see it on stickers on the backs of trucks. The entire Red Sox team used it as their rallying cry 2 years ago. What the hell does it mean? Is it like when you're biking and someone says, "Car back"? Do I look up to see a Cowboy?

Do I just live in a cave?  I've never once heard that phrase in my life.  Odd.  Of course now I'm sure I'll start hearing it all the time. Tongue

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 04:48:08 PM »

Quote from: "Sepiche"

Cowboy Up

Do I just live in a cave?  I've never once heard that phrase in my life.  Odd.  Of course now I'm sure I'll start hearing it all the time. Tongue

s

Try living in Texas married to a West Texas gal whose brother is about as cowboy as you can get, while you're about as citified as it's possible to be. Whoo doggie.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2004, 05:01:43 PM »

Word.
El Guapo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2004, 05:05:06 PM »

I know "cowboy up" basically means the same thing as "get back on the horse".  Recovering from a tough loss.  Kevin Millar (a Texan) said after a tough loss last season "No worries, we'll just cowboy up", and it caught on.

Anyways, that's how cowboy up became the Sox slogan last year.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2004, 05:13:20 PM »

I've been waiting five years for "bling bling" to disappear from the pop lexicon...
TheOneWhoStoodUp
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2004, 05:32:19 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"
I've been waiting five years for "bling bling" to disappear from the pop lexicon...

Agreed!
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2004, 05:49:09 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"

This is what happens when MTV tries to create a catch-phrase. It's then used by VJ's and half-ass rockers and rap artists, while a lot of their target audience thinks it's stupid and waits for the corporate creators to recognize that. Of course, I've thought MTV stopped being relevant over a decade ago when it stopped showing "dangerous" music and focuses exclusively on pop and rap, neither of which have been "dangerous" for a while.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2004, 05:53:27 PM »

"batshit crazy"
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2004, 08:08:07 PM »

Holy hell!  mad props to all of you going batshit crazy over this dangerous bling bling!  Maybe you should all just cowboy up with some gaming goodness.

Word.

ninja

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
mb737
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2004, 08:12:02 PM »

Beyond your imagination!

I hate ad copy writers.  Please stop insulting me.
Tim Maynard
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2004, 08:26:20 PM »

Quote from: "lildrgn"
Cowboy Up

Cowboy Up is a very popular phrase in the PBR. "He's needs to Cowboy Up" or He's going to Cowboy Up for ya." is used quite frequently. It means to step to the plate or to perform.

BTW...PBR=Professional Bull Riding.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2004, 08:32:30 PM »

"hella" used anywhere.  That's hella cool, that's hella tight, that's hell retarded.  I hate that word.

"tight" is retarded.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2004, 08:53:49 PM »

That's big pimpin.

Shizzle-Nizzle, dizzle and all that ignorant shit.

I hate both of those.
karapcik
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2004, 12:25:34 AM »

"Folks"...I hate just plain "folks".

The only time I hear this is when some management type ass thinks he needs to appear down to Earth and connect with the workers. As in "well you know folks...." or "the folks over in..."

Folks = proles
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2004, 12:45:35 AM »

Quote from: "karapcik"
"Folks"...I hate just plain "folks".
Folks = proles

Don't ever visit the south!  There are lots of folksy folks down here.  :wink:

I've never heard "Cowboy Up," but I am familiar with the variation, "Man Up."  From the context I always take it to mean "be a man" or "prove your manhood."

As for the topic, I am not a fan of purposely embracing bad grammer just to look "hard," cool, or just plain ignorant.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2004, 12:46:43 AM »

Yeah, I hate all that stuff to.

Too add my own.

"That's Ill!" A completely needless variation of "Sick," which itself isn't exactly a spell binding piece of verbiage.

"Dog," as in: "Yo, dog, what's up"

"Hit me up," as in: "Dude, when you pay your phone bill again, hit me up."

"Peace" and all usages such as: "Peace, I'm out." and "Peace out"
Temjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2004, 04:17:08 AM »

"Surreal"

People overuse the term to describe non-surreal events.  "I just got in a car accident.  It was surreal."  No, getting into a car accident is one of the more "real" events that can happen to a person in life.  

"Random"

*Someone makes an odd comment* -- "Dude, that was so random." Ugh.

Now Playing
Wii:  Zelda: TP
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2004, 04:36:51 AM »

Another one...

Describing something good as "Off the <noun>"

Off the "chain" (this one particularly bugs me)
Off the "hook"
Off the "heezee"
etc.
lildrgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2004, 07:35:24 AM »

Holla back.

Similar to

Shout out.

Make it stop!

maggie-chow
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2004, 09:59:32 AM »

"gaming goodness"

Video game "journalists" are an immense source of English-language annoyance to me.  I hereby strike them with a pox.

"I spill my drink!"    [Currently playing: Civ IV (PC), Romance of the Three Kingdoms X (PS2)]
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2004, 01:45:22 PM »

"Thats sick!" anytime  someone uses 'sick' to describe something cool i just wanna bash thier face in. usually used during that other pastime i HATE which is drifting.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2004, 02:13:04 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Quote from: "Sepiche"

Cowboy Up

s

Try living in Texas married to a West Texas gal whose brother is about as cowboy as you can get, while you're about as citified as it's possible to be. Whoo doggie.

You know...I live in the same metroplex...and I've never heard this term.  OF course, since I've been out of high school, I've been pretty sheltered from non-citified folk.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Ypmur
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2004, 10:48:02 PM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
"Thats sick!" anytime  someone uses 'sick' to describe something cool i just wanna bash thier face in. usually used during that other pastime i HATE which is drifting.

Well, that probably comes from Quebec where they use the French term to mean Awesome. It doesn't translate so well to English though.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2004, 12:01:01 AM »

"big baller" and all the variants of ball or baller.  hate it and hate anyone who uses it in a regular fashion.  there's a dj on a local radio station who uses that word quite often and it makes him sound very stupid.  of course, he also talks with a stoner voice which he thinks makes him sound cool and goes by the name of "the ricker"  

biggest a-hole on the radio and the reason i don't listen to the station any more.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
lildrgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2004, 12:41:36 AM »

Quote from: "Caine"
"big baller" and all the variants of ball or baller.  hate it and hate anyone who uses it in a regular fashion.  there's a dj on a local radio station who uses that word quite often and it makes him sound very stupid.  of course, he also talks with a stoner voice which he thinks makes him sound cool and goes by the name of "the ricker"  

biggest a-hole on the radio and the reason i don't listen to the station any more.

that'sright my bre. Seattle, right?

He bugged me at first, now he's kinda funny, though I hate the music they play on the station now.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2004, 12:47:55 AM »

Quote from: "lildrgn"
that'sright my bre. Seattle, right?

He bugged me at first, now he's kinda funny, though I hate the music they play on the station now.

yup.  seattle is it, although i actually live in so king co.  

i don't know about him actually.  he almost sounds like that phil henry on the buzz late at night.  he takes a very serious sounding position on topics too crazy to be real by fake guests.  i get the impression that he's putting on an act, but it just bugs me anyway

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2004, 01:23:07 AM »

The only thing making mad props acceptable is when you, in jest of course, give specific numbers of them.

For example:
"That was clever.  You get two props."

That tends to annoy people who actually use it in conversations because they realize how dumb they sound.

Me, I'm waiting until I get enough props to trade for a turbojet.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2004, 01:24:42 AM »

Just hope you never meet a radio dj...Growing up we had some cool sounding djs on the radio then one day they came to our school...omg the dweedy nerds they were...and the women sound hot on air but in person you could saddle them up and ride away..ugh.

And no Im no prize either lol.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
AJ McClain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2004, 10:00:49 AM »

Hm. Let's see. Any use of the word "gay" as a negative. Example:

"That's so gay!"
"You're gay!"
"That's gay!"

There is not a single phrase I hate more.

Gamertag: Sin Mordai
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2004, 10:56:20 AM »

i know this is mostly online but PWNED and TEH.

I see a topic with these words in and i won`t even bother reading it let alone reply to it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: