http://gamingtrend.com
September 24, 2014, 12:36:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Phantom of the Opera  (Read 1029 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 20, 2005, 02:10:00 PM »

So, for the wifey's birthday I got her Orchestra tickets for Phantom of the Opera and we went last night.  I have to admit, despite my pre-judgement, it wasn't that bad.  Color me (oddly) impressed.  She was like a little kid in a candy store, so I guess I picked a good birthday gift, besides...she already has a vaccum.  :twisted:

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 03:02:43 PM »

I love Phantom of the Opera and the movie by Joel Schumaker (who tortured us with Batman and Robin) was pretty good and pretty true to the original play.  Glad you liked it...I was big into it when it first came out, I did a whole project for it for band in middle school.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 05:41:42 PM »

My folks took me and my brother to Phantom when we were younger, and I remember really enjoying it.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 07:32:28 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
I love Phantom of the Opera and the movie by Joel Schumaker (who tortured us with Batman and Robin) was pretty good and pretty true to the original play.  Glad you liked it...I was big into it when it first came out, I did a whole project for it for band in middle school.

I love the play, but that movie version was god-awful.  There were multiple times where the lip-synching didn't come close to matching the singing, and it killed the whole suspension of disbelief.    Technically it was good, but I just couldn't get past the 'singing'.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
SpicyJ
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 05:56:20 AM »

My wife got us tickets for opening night at the Gammage, but they were balcony seats.  Not bad seats, but hard to make out details on stage from there.  I'd seen it before, back in California, but she hadn't.  A good show allaround, however.

GT/OO Weight Loss Tracker: http://www.jxprime.net/WeightTracker
Cyjon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 05:56:38 PM »

I'm going to this show on Saturday with my sister and I believe they are also orchestra seats.  Should be fun.

My sister bought these tickets months ago and they were not cheap. So her Greek fiance, after a many-month battle with immigration <insert rant about US immigration policies> is finally close to getting his visa and for a while it looked like he was going to come in, of course, on Saturday. Now they haven't seen each other in over a year.  Plus he's never met his year-old baby daughter (who has had a bunch of medical problems since before birth), so meeting him at the airport was pretty important.  She was really torn between either throwing away this expensive ticket or sending friends (along with the baby) to pick him up.  However, "luckily" there have been still more bureaucratic delays, so no problem.  And I'm sure he'll be here by the time his daughter graduates high school  :roll:
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 06:04:55 AM »

Emmy Rossum is super hot. She is the chick in the movie. That is all.
Cyjon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 02:28:11 PM »

My sister and I went to the show yesterday, and it was great.  The technical effects were stunning.  This theater was rennovated a few years ago specifically because of the technical demands of their first performance of Phantom.  My sister loved the costumes; I didn't notice them much except for the Masquerade outfits, which were spectacular.

The only weak spot IMHO was the guy playing the phantom.  We both felt his voice was mediocre.  His performance in the first act was fine, but in the second he went over the top, playing the phantom like some strutting comic book supervillain.  I'm curious whether you and your wife liked him, KD.

Great show overall though.
nalchesky
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 04:45:13 AM »

I was able to see Phantom 7 years ago in San Francisco.  It was actually what my group of friends decided to do instead of going to our senior prom.  I had a great time, and would really love to see it again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: