http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 09:49:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PC System Build - Questions  (Read 1454 times)
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« on: August 17, 2004, 01:55:04 PM »

So, I finally had time to build my new rig last night (up till 2 AM or so). Things seem to be running well, I do have a few questions however.

Here are the components again, then the questions.

AMD64 3000
512 DDR400
Pioneer DVDR-108
Radeon 9600 XT
120 gig Samsung SATA HD
Windows XP Pro SP1

First question: For some reason when I boot up it hangs and says "Keyboard Locked - Unlock Keyboard". I'm under the impression that this is a jumper setting that isn't set correctly, I am able to bypass it by pressing f1 though. Any ideas how to fix it?

Second Question: I setup my one SATA HD as a RAID Array, as that is the only way windows would recognize it. Is that correct?

Third Question: In Windows XP Pro, how can you stop Windows from automatically installing the drivers for your Video Card, or whatever hardware needs them? It automatically installed the drivers for the Radeon, and I wanted to use the newest. So, to alleviate having to uninstall and try and figure it out last night (this morning), I installed the Omega Drivers (which require no uninstallation). I then tested out Far Cry and it was smooth as butter, but locked up on me about 5 minutes in. I have had issues with those drivers in the past though, so I think that is the only reason it locked up. I tried 3d Mark 2002 and 2003, and it ended up locking up on both of those as well. I went ahead and uninstalled the Omega Drivers, rebooted to install the newest Drivers from ATI, only to have Windows try and install it for me again. I attempted to stop it mid way and start the installation of the drivers from ATI. That seemed to work ok, but I have a feeling I have some driver junk there I need to get rid of.

If I somehow disable the auto driver installation, use a utility like Driver Cleaner (or whatever it's called), and reinstall the latest ATI Drivers do you think I will be ok?

I re-ran 3dMark 2003 and 2002 and both ran well, without any lockups at all so it seems the Omega's were the issue.

What should my scores look like for 3dMark? I think they're low, but I may be mistaken.

My 2002 score was 10,790 (or something close to that) and my 2003 score was 3,950 (somewhere around there).

Is there a problem somewhere? Are those scores about right?

I appreciate any insight on these issues.

:?:

Actually, after researching, it appears my scores are low... frown
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 03:39:26 PM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"

First question: For some reason when I boot up it hangs and says "Keyboard Locked - Unlock Keyboard". I'm under the impression that this is a jumper setting that isn't set correctly, I am able to bypass it by pressing f1 though. Any ideas how to fix it?

it appears my scores are low... frown

Ok, first you are right, if you look in your mobo manual, there should be a map of the jumpers, and obviously find the keyboard lock one and reset it (or put it in the proper position, whichever applys).

about your low scores, i have a similair system:
3000+ "barton"
1gb pc3200 ram
120 gb hdd
ati radeon 9800 pro

And I also noticed my scores were veyr low, i think it is mostly because of the ram, in my case, the ram is 400 fsb enabled, but the processor is not, despite that it still preforms lower than it should, maybe its the stupid M$ xp slowing everyhting down.

edit: I missed your third question, Id go to control panel/performance and maintenence/system/device manager and select the the device you want and ope the properties menu, then you can choose to revert to an old driver, search for a new one (online or disk drive)

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 03:48:39 PM »

Windows should also prompt you whether you want your new hardware installed in the first place, at which point you tell it no and move on. I've not had XP Pro auto-install jack on me, though it sure as hell tries. Either way, follow the other man's advice on this- Device Manager and then jack with your hardware all you want.

For the record, jumper settings on the motherboard suck. That's the part I always hate doing the most since I'm always afraid I'll screw it up. Recently, I've gotten much better and more consistent at it, but it still requires fine tuning. Good luck!

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 06:33:30 PM »

Since the KB thing wasn't really hurting performance, I just selected, "Halt on all errors, except KB errors".  Worked like a charm.

I will do the device manager driver thing tonight and see how it works.  Windows didn't give me an option to install the default ATI drivers or not.  

One more question, I have my SATA HD setup with RAID, even though it is one drive.  Is that bad?  If so, I will reformat and change it now that I have a better grasp at how to do it.  Let me know.  Thanks a lot.
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 07:11:18 PM »

I dont have any experience with that setup, but i dont see why it would be bad, that configuration is being used more widely now than ever before.

jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 07:11:30 PM »

I dont have any experience with that setup, but i dont see why it would be bad, that configuration is being used more widely now than ever before.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2004, 07:59:49 PM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"
I re-ran 3dMark 2003 and 2002 and both ran well, without any lockups at all so it seems the Omega's were the issue.

I wouldn't touch Omega drivers with someone elses machine; let alone my rig.

Stay away from them; he butchers current drivers with spliced older drivers. Tried em once; reapplied an older image to get rid of the shit it dumped all over  (~8 months ago).

I've not had any problems with the Doom3 beta driver version; I'd be concerned that windows is wanting RAID config for a single drive. Check the config in your controller setup.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: